Zen Shakti

Good luck traveling to Ashland. As a former Oregonian, I know out-of-the-way Ashland is. Almost the perfect 1/2 way point between Portland and Sacramento, or you fly into Eugene and leave yourself with almost a 3 hr drive.
It’s ok as I can use the excuse with the wife to go visit Yosemite. Just on the way down, I’ll let her know that we have to make a slight detour. All good!

lol

Last edited:
Good luck traveling to Ashland. As a former Oregonian, I know out-of-the-way Ashland is. Almost the perfect 1/2 way point between Portland and Sacramento, or you fly into Eugene and leave yourself with almost a 3 hr drive.
I hear that....I live near Tillamook and it is like a 6hr. drive.....

I have a batch #3 Bolton Blackbird on order, still waiting to be shipped from China but is built and ready to hit the water. That tells me it is 1 month to West coast port, + 1 month waiting to be processed through the port (based on batches 1 & 2), then a week or two to be checked over at Bolton and shipped to me. So likely still 3 months to play it conservative. What is the likely timeframe of getting Shakti production bikes in customer hands (a conservative guesstimate, not a promise!!). I probably won't be riding too much until April/May anyway at this point!!

I think this stacks up nicely in comparing the two bikes. BB has a 52v 16Ah Panasonic cells battery, with a torque sensing true-750W (1300W peak) Bafang motor with cassette and a 25A KT motor controller with KT-LCD8H color display. BB has a dropper post, but I might prefer a Thudbuster suspension post anyway. The BB is Mulefut tubeless ready and has 203mm 4-piston brakes front/rear. The BB has rear rack/fender and (IMHO) a pretty useless front fender given the inverted front air fork (but it is thru-axle). Might try the Armadillo fender that Biktrix sells! This has at least +1 level of components (BB is X5 9-speed SRAM). Not really interested in the +1 battery ability as that adds weight and my wife's single battery will be the weakest link anyway. BB includes front/rear integrated lights (with brake light).

I don't want to spend $2k on a bike and then wish I had waited a month or so and gotten a better bike for the same or less. I also don't want to miss another riding season though either!

I have a batch #3 Bolton Blackbird on order, still waiting to be shipped from China but is built and ready to hit the water. That tells me it is 1 month to West coast port, + 1 month waiting to be processed through the port (based on batches 1 & 2), then a week or two to be checked over at Bolton and shipped to me. So likely still 3 months to play it conservative. What is the likely timeframe of getting Shakti production bikes in customer hands (a conservative guesstimate, not a promise!!). I probably won't be riding too much until April/May anyway at this point!!

I think this stacks up nicely in comparing the two bikes. BB has a 52v 16Ah Panasonic cells battery, with a torque sensing true-750W (1300W peak) Bafang motor with cassette and a 25A KT motor controller with KT-LCD8H color display. BB has a dropper post, but I might prefer a Thudbuster suspension post anyway. The BB is Mulefut tubeless ready and has 203mm 4-piston brakes front/rear. The BB has rear rack/fender and (IMHO) a pretty useless front fender given the inverted front air fork (but it is thru-axle). Might try the Armadillo fender that Biktrix sells! This has at least +1 level of components (BB is X5 9-speed SRAM). Not really interested in the +1 battery ability as that adds weight and my wife's single battery will be the weakest link anyway. BB includes front/rear integrated lights (with brake light).

I don't want to spend $2k on a bike and then wish I had waited a month or so and gotten a better bike for the same or less. I also don't want to miss another riding season though either!
Congratulations... looks like a nice ride.

Congratulations... looks like a nice ride.

I hope it will be, looks like batch #1, originally scheduled for August delivery, will start getting to the customers on Monday & Tuesday according to tracking #'s!! Can't wait to see pics of the production bikes and hear real first-hand review/reports.

Thanks for mentioning this bike. I had not looked at it carefully before but now I have, here are my thoughts.
We won't be able to release the bike until the later part of 2021, so you might be able to get the blackbird sooner
but when this Shakti model hits the market, it will set a new benchmark for what an E-bike could be for under $2K.
  1. There are multiple components on the Shakti that are an upgrade (most importantly, the motor and suspension fork).
    I could not find the name of the suspension on the Bolton bike. We are using XCR 34 suspension with an adjustable AIR chamber and Boost hub.
    The fork we are using is similar to what Trek offers on their $4600 e-MTB:

2. The battery is fully integrated and for some people, elegance and aesthetics matter.

3. There are lots of finer details that would stand out like the integration of torque sensor, wheels, tires, drivetrain components, etc.

4. Now that you have mentioned, we will try to make the rack and fender a standard feature! Thanks, @FezUSA.

1609350994277.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1609351011302.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1609351027340.png

1609351041500.png

1609351059606.png

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning this bike. I had not looked at it carefully before but now I have, here are my thoughts.
We won't be able to release the bike until the later part of 2021, so you might be able to get the blackbird sooner
but when this Shakti model hits the market, it will set a new benchmark for what an E-bike could be for under $2K.
  1. There are multiple components on the Shakti that are an upgrade (most importantly, the motor and suspension fork).
    I could not find the name of the suspension on the Bolton bike. We are using XCR 34 suspension with an adjustable AIR chamber and Boost hub.
    The fork we are using is similar to what Trek offers on their $4600 e-MTB:

2. The battery is fully integrated and for some people, elegance and aesthetics matter.

3. There are lots of finer details that would stand out like the integration of torque sensor, wheels, tires, drivetrain components, etc.

4. Now that you have mentioned, we will try to make the rack and fender a standard feature! Thanks, @FezUSA.

View attachment 75457
View attachment 75458
View attachment 75459

View attachment 75460

View attachment 75461

Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.

The fork on the 2020 BB's was actually upgraded during production of batch #1 to a DNM shock as the original spec'd shock didn't pass muster when it was delivered. Kyle sourced DNM at no extra cost. I believe it will be the USD-6FAT and is a thru-axle design, but won't know until it's in hand!

I think I would make the fenders/rack optional. As others have mentioned, they may not want/need them which would save money/weight. Personally, I want them.

I do like the sleek design of the integrated battery, and having the available option of including a 2nd battery is huge for the overall market value.

I like Kyle/ Bolton which adds it's own value, however I think you match in that area too.

If both were readily available it would most likely go to your offering based on what what has been presented. As it is, I will keep my BB order with hope that I will see it in a few months time and get a good riding season in this year.

Thanks for the update, really appreciate it.

The fork on the 2020 BB's was actually upgraded during production of batch #1 to a DNM shock as the original spec'd shock didn't pass muster when it was delivered. Kyle sourced DNM at no extra cost. I believe it will be the USD-6FAT and is a thru-axle design, but won't know until it's in hand!

I think I would make the fenders/rack optional. As others have mentioned, they may not want/need them which would save money/weight. Personally, I want them.

I do like the sleek design of the integrated battery, and having the available option of including a 2nd battery is huge for the overall market value.

I like Kyle/ Bolton which adds it's own value, however I think you match in that area too.

If both were readily available it would most likely go to your offering based on what what has been presented. As it is, I will keep my BB order with hope that I will see it in a few months time and get a good riding season in this year.

No worries. Thanks for considering this model, first of all.
We started this project a bit late and then the parts supply chain got severely strained. But, I am sure we will get there. We have a solid team and a clear path ahead.
At the end of the day, we are interested in serving the E-bike community with the best products we can build.

No worries. Thanks for considering this model, first of all.
We started this project a bit late and then the parts supply chain got severely strained. But, I am sure we will get there. We have a solid team and a clear path ahead.
At the end of the day, we are interested in serving the E-bike community with the best products we can build.

I'm the type that has spreadsheets for my major purchases, comparing all of the details and aspects of the choices available to me, which I then apply a personal weighting against. This helps me figure out what is the best option for me, not just which is the better deal. The Blackbird is a great choice for me, but I think your choice when added to the mix would have made it a much more difficult choice. Kyle from Bolton put out a video recently and was was also talking about the strain on the supply chain. Basically if you haven't got your components already on order for the next year, then you may find yourself having to adjust what you're planning on using depending on availability! I'm really looking forward to getting the Blackbird, and an ebike in general!!

I will keep following this thread to see how it pans out. We have 5 kids, so there could well be more ebikes in our future!!

I'm the type that has spreadsheets for my major purchases, comparing all of the details and aspects of the choices available to me, which I then apply a personal weighting against. This helps me figure out what is the best option for me, not just which is the better deal. The Blackbird is a great choice for me, but I think your choice when added to the mix would have made it a much more difficult choice. Kyle from Bolton put out a video recently and was was also talking about the strain on the supply chain. Basically if you haven't got your components already on order for the next year, then you may find yourself having to adjust what you're planning on using depending on availability! I'm really looking forward to getting the Blackbird, and an ebike in general!!

I will keep following this thread to see how it pans out. We have 5 kids, so there could well be more ebikes in our future!!
What type of riding you want to do? The Bolton Blackbird & this Zen are different bikes from each other.

Ravi, I put up the photo of my Lefty 3 NOT to compare my bike with your offering. Rather, I did it to illustrate what a painted battery cover looks like.
I realize that my bike is a lot more expensive than the bike you will be selling. It puzzles me why you would then compare my bike to yours.
I agree that painted to match battery covers look very clean. BH bikes always did this.

Better brakes. Most people want to pick out their own pedals, anyway. I’d be fine with a bike without pedals, seat, seatpost etc.

The reaction to the battery cover has surprised me. The scheme looks like Gazelle, R&M etc. Perhas I’ve been in the Euro/Bosch space too long.
I feel like a lot of people would just take the cheap plastic pedals on a bike because they will find ones they like online more. Lots of brands like Haibike & Bulls don't even ship with pedals.

What type of riding you want to do? The Bolton Blackbird & this Zen are different bikes from each other.
This will be my first ebike, but I have a hardtail MTB that has both knobby and street tyres depending on whether I'm in the woods trail riding or on the road/ paved trails. I also have had a road bike with skinny tyres. Right now I'm on the MTB and just riding gravel, hard-pack and road. If I'm with the wife, she'll be on her Stunner and it will be rails to trails or on paved trails. If I'm on my own I will more likely be in the woods on single-track. I will also try riding it to work next year. It's 13 miles each way and I currently use a Honda 700 motorcycle (NCX700) from Easter to Thanksgiving, before putting it away due to weather.

I think one of the advantages of the ebikes are that they are more able to be used for different purposes if you get a 'generic' enough set up. It won't necessarily be great at any particular type of riding, but will be good enough. At least for me. With 5 kids I'm not going to have an electric gravel bike, an MTB and a road bike, and an electric fat tyre!

I think these two bikes are not necessarily that dissimilar, for my riding at least.

Any updates? We will be driving thru Ashland, OR in April on our way to Yosemite if all goes well.

Thanks for checking in!
We will have 2 Shakti model and several Bosch-based Samurai models available by the time you pass through Ashland.
Lots of background activity happening and will share once we consolidate all the updates.

PS: We would be delighted to have you visit us and perhaps we could go on a 10-mile ride.

Thanks for checking in!
We will have 2 Shakti model and several Bosch-based Samurai models available by the time you pass through Ashland.
Lots of background activity happening and will share once we consolidate all the updates.

PS: We would be delighted to have you visit us and perhaps we could go on a 10-mile ride.

Would be nice but I will have the family with me. Is the bike going to be available to purchase? Would be cool to take it for a spin in Yosemite.

Would be nice but I will have the family with me. Is the bike going to be available to purchase? Would be cool to take it for a spin in Yosemite.

We put in a lot of thought and effort in designing this bike and it would make us very happy to see people making full use of this bike.
However, the supply chain is VERY strained right now and we won't be able to sell the bike until late Summer.
Perhaps we can look into renting it so that you can enjoy your time at Yosemite. We will look into it for sure but I can't make promises.
Our ethos at Zen is to under-promise and over-deliver and we have consciously avoided taking anyone's money until we absolutely work out every single detail. Please stay in touch and we will do everything we can to support riders such as yourself and the E-bike community.

Our engineering partner in Taiwan is testing the Zen Shakti models and once we work out every single detail, it will go into production.
We will do something special for the EBR community in the coming months.

[Ignore the short rear fender that is used on this pre-production model]

1611277552741.png

Back