Comparing Trek Verve+ 3 Lowstep and Cannondale Adventure Neo 1 EQ - thoughts?

PCS15

Region
USA
I am new to the forum and am hopeful of some feedback on purchasing my first e-bike. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Rider: Female now able to use senior discounts! 5’ 10” 200+ lbs

Reason for the ebike:

After a knee replacement with significant complications, I have been unable to ride for several years. I have now succeeded in reaching the range of motion necessary to pedal a bike but still have knee issues. I need to minimize stress on the knee even now.

Previous typical rides averaging 20-25 miles: (Specialized Tricross Sport Triple (2009))

1. Very hilly back country roads
2. Combination of crushed rock rail trail and hilly roads
3. Acadia National Park crushed stone carriage trails through mountains

Ebike Requirements:
  • Step-through due to loss of mobility
  • Upright comfort geometry – want to use this bike for many years
  • I do not want to have to worry about not having enough power for hills or the battery running out. I will be riding with my husband who is very fit (and will be embarrassed at being with me on an ebike!)
  • Radar – I am hearing impaired and have decided this feature is a worthwhile safety investment (know I can add this on as well)
  • Class 1 – cannot ride class 3 in national parks

I am comparing the Trek Verve+ 3 Lowstep and Cannondale Adventure Neo 1 EQ. The Neo 1 EQ is a step up – has a more powerful motor, battery, suspension fork, integrated radar and better components. Due to tax differences based on where I would purchase the Neo 1 would cost me approximately $750 more. I have included some of the specs below. A third option would be the Cannondale Adventure New 2 EQ. This has many of the same specs as the Verve+ 3 with the addition of the suspension fork and is comparable in price.

I can buy the Trek at my local Trek store. The Cannondale I would have to travel a couple hours to find it in stock but do have authorized dealers close by at REI and a LBS. I have test ridden (in a parking lot) the Trek and am planning to take the day trip to ride the Cannondale. I like the looks and color of the Cannondale better. I also like the idea of the more powerful battery and motor and integrated radar but with not ever having an ebike do not know if they are fully necessary. However, I do not want to regret not spending a little more money for upgrades to reduce worry.

I am interested in thoughts from those with ebike experience on these two bikes and their specs and cost. Thank you in advance.

BrandTrekCannondale
ModelVerve+ 3 Lowstep (size L)Adventure Neo 1 EQ (size M/L)
MotorBosch Active Line Plus, 250 wattBosch Performance Line Cruise
Max Torque50 Nm65 Nm
Max Support
270%​
300%​
BatteryBosch PowerTube 500Wh
6.4 lbs
Bosch PowerTube 625Wh
7.7 lbs
Range30-75up to 85 miles
ControllerBosch PurionBosch Purion
Battery Warranty2 yrs/500 cycles
Charge time4-8 hours
ChargerBosch compact 2ABosch 2A
Weight54.61 lbs57 lbs
FrameAlpha Platinum Aluminum, Removable Integrated Battery (RIB), smooth welds, rack & fender mounts, internal routing, kickstand mount, 135x5mm QRSmartForm C3 Alloy step-thru frame, removable downtube battery, fully internal cable routing, post mount disc, dual waterbottle headtube mount
ForkAlloy rigid fork, 1-1/8'' Threadless steel steerer, 460mm axle-crown length (suspension corrected), ThruSkew 5mm QR
Verve Alloy, threaded steel steerer, rack mounts, post mount disc, 460mm axle-to-crown, ThruSkew 5mm QR
SR Suntour Mobie A32, 63mm travel, coil with preload adjuster, lockout, crown light mount, 44mm offset
TireBontrager E6 Hard-Case Lite, reflective, wire bead, 60tpi, 700x50cKenda Kwick Seven.5, 27.5 x 2.20"
BrakesShimano MT200 hydraulic discShimano MT400 hydraulic disc
ShifterShimano Alivio M3100, 9 speedShimano Deore M4100, 10-speed
Rear derailleurShimano Alivio T4000, long cageShimano Deore M4100
CassetteShimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed
SeatpostAlloy, suspension, 31.6mm, 300mm lengthCane Creek Thudbuster G4 suspension post, 31.6, 375mm (S), 430mm (L)
HandlebarBontrager alloy, 31.8mm, comfort sweep, 660mm widthCannondale E-Series Alloy, ergo backsweep, 680mm
StemBontrager alloy, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise, Blendr compatible, 105mm lengthCannondale 3 with Intellimount, Alloy, 31.8mm clamp
LightSpanninga SOLO for e-bike, taillight
Herrmans H-Black MR4-E, 120 lumen, 40 lux, LED, headlight
Premium front and rear lights, premium fenders, rear carrier, Garmin radar
Radaradd on for $150Garmin integrated

I can't speak to the Trek bike but I have a Cannondale (Tesoro Neo X 3) and absolutely love it. Did you get to test ride the Cannondale yet?

I haven't had a single regret about the Tesoro and enjoy it immensely. It has the Performance Line Sport motor and a smaller battery (500w) than the Adventure Neo and I've been completely satisfied with the range. I've done a 50-mile hilly ride with 20% battery to spare after. I've made 2 upgrades that were well worth it - changing the computer from the Purion to the Kiox and a Thudbuster seat post.

I don't have radar but use a handlebar-mounted rearview mirror, which suits my needs. I'm super cautious on the road and do my best to stay off it when possible (and legal and safe).

I did test ride an Adventure Neo around the parking lot when I was bike shopping. It was a very comfortable upright riding position. I went with the Tesoro because I wanted front suspension and the features to handle gravel/dirt, plus fenders and a rack. At the time, my boyfriend had a fat-tire bike and I wanted to be able to keep up with him. He's gotten a new bike that's very similar to mine now and we still venture onto gravel/easy trails regularly.

If you think you'll venture off-road even a little, I think getting a bike with front suspension will be worth it. And the Thudbuster has been a god-send for my butt. If the price isn't a problem, I think it's worth it to go for the bike that has more features than you think you may need (within reason) if you plan to keep it for several years. Good luck!

I can't speak to the Trek bike but I have a Cannondale (Tesoro Neo X 3) and absolutely love it. Did you get to test ride the Cannondale yet?

I haven't had a single regret about the Tesoro and enjoy it immensely. It has the Performance Line Sport motor and a smaller battery (500w) than the Adventure Neo and I've been completely satisfied with the range. I've done a 50-mile hilly ride with 20% battery to spare after. I've made 2 upgrades that were well worth it - changing the computer from the Purion to the Kiox and a Thudbuster seat post.

I don't have radar but use a handlebar-mounted rearview mirror, which suits my needs. I'm super cautious on the road and do my best to stay off it when possible (and legal and safe).

I did test ride an Adventure Neo around the parking lot when I was bike shopping. It was a very comfortable upright riding position. I went with the Tesoro because I wanted front suspension and the features to handle gravel/dirt, plus fenders and a rack. At the time, my boyfriend had a fat-tire bike and I wanted to be able to keep up with him. He's gotten a new bike that's very similar to mine now and we still venture onto gravel/easy trails regularly.

If you think you'll venture off-road even a little, I think getting a bike with front suspension will be worth it. And the Thudbuster has been a god-send for my butt. If the price isn't a problem, I think it's worth it to go for the bike that has more features than you think you may need (within reason) if you plan to keep it for several years. Good luck!
A nice write-up, thank you!

A nice write-up, thank you!
Stefan, thank you for your reply and feedback. I was able to take a long test ride on the Cannondale Neo Adventure 4 EQ and bought it! A long day trip but well worth it. I was able to get a discount as well so it only cost me about $500 more than the Trek. I have only been out on it once due to weather but so far am very pleased. I like the suspension, Thudbuster, and the integrated radar. Will need a few adventures to see how the battery holds up but am impressed with the motor so far. I don't think I will have any regrets as plan on having this for a long time!

Stefan, thank you for your reply and feedback. I was able to take a long test ride on the Cannondale Neo Adventure 4 EQ and bought it! A long day trip but well worth it. I was able to get a discount as well so it only cost me about $500 more than the Trek. I have only been out on it once due to weather but so far am very pleased. I like the suspension, Thudbuster, and the integrated radar. Will need a few adventures to see how the battery holds up but am impressed with the motor so far. I don't think I will have any regrets as plan on having this for a long time!
My sincere congratulations!

I have owned a Trek Verve +3 for around a year and a half and have put 3300 miles on it. I really like it but just looking at the specs, the Cannondale looks like a better bike. I’m not sure what the cost of each bike is or the quality of Cannondale but it has a bigger battery with a more powerful motor, a better seat post and a front suspension fork. I’d say if your knee is in great shape the Trek would serve you well also but if it’s still a little tender, go with the Cannondale. If their e bikes are as good as their acoustic bikes, it’s a good one.

Sorry, I just noticed it was your reply saying you bought it, congrats and enjoy!
Thank you for the comments. It's good to hear positive things after a large outlay of cash! And even though I can now pedal my knee is turning out to not be too happy with much pressure. I'm happy with the better motor and battery just from a "less stress" perspective. I may not need it but I have peace of mind. And on our rock rail trail I am finding the suspension and seatpost a plus!

Thank you for the comments. It's good to hear positive things after a large outlay of cash! And even though I can now pedal my knee is turning out to not be too happy with much pressure. I'm happy with the better motor and battery just from a "less stress" perspective. I may not need it but I have peace of mind. And on our rock rail trail I am finding the suspension and seatpost a plus!
Hi there! Curious how your experience with the bike has been after a few months?

I love it! I smile every time I ride it as I am so thankful to be able to be on a bike again. As far as the things I was concerned about:
  • Battery. I’m afraid my knee has been the limiting factor in ride length, not the battery. The pedaling motion still causes significant stress for me even without having to provide power. So my longest ride has been only 24 miles. I have ridden multiple days without recharging and have only ever gone down to 3 bars. So, the good news there is I have no anxiety about running out of battery power. With my limitations I probably would have been fine with a 500 WH battery.
  • Radar. I love the radar and the fact that it is integrated into the bike. I know when a car (or a bike) is approaching and am no longer startled. With it as an add on I would have to use my phone for the radar and know that would eat up the phone battery in no time. No worries about this.
  • Suspension fork and Studbuster post. Love them. I didn’t realize how much I would appreciate them after a non-suspension road bike. My rides are probably 50/50 on road versus gravel/rock trails. The suspension is great on the trails.
  • Motor. The motor is awesome. I can’t compare it to any others, but I am still amazed when I go up any hill at how easy it is. Kind of stunning. It is a wonderful role reversal to be waiting at the top of a hill for my husband (not on an ebike).
  • Comfort. It is very comfortable compared to a road bike with its upright position. The seat is fine, grips are fine, handlebar is a little wider than I would like. I am still debating whether to swap in an adjustable bike stem to raise the handlebar another inch. I have long legs so the seat is high, and I could use the handlebars just a little higher. I am also thankful I got a step through although sometimes I forget I have it. With the weight of the bike, it is harder to maneuver so lowering it to step over is harder than on a non ebike.
  • Controller. The Bosch Purion is very very basic but supplies the necessities and works fine. If you want more than the basics you will want an upgrade or separate computer.
  • Shifters/Derailleur. Shifting is smooth and easy. No complaints.
  • Appearance. I can’t say I am in love with the looks of any ebike or step through. However, I love the Emerald green color and the paint finish is great. I do think the integrated batteries provide a nicer appearance. Because it is a comfort bike it looks like a beach cruiser – albeit a turbo one! I didn’t care about fenders but have to admit the functionality is great for mud and rain. The rack is great for my bike bag. And now with the motor I am free to carry way too much stuff with me.
  • Extras… Of course, the bike is just the beginning. I added a seat mount water bottle carrier which works fine. And a small handlebar bag for easy access to my phone. And because I can no longer use clip pedals (can’t quite position my foot properly on the pedal due to my limited range of motion) I found my foot slipping off the pedals when I would shift. A pair of very grippy Five Ten mountain bike shoes has helped with that issue.
  • Expensive extra. The downside to all the wonders of an ebike is the weight… I could not lift the bike onto our Thule T2 bike rack and did not want to be dependent on my husband. So the biggest additional purchase was a Hollywood Racks Destination E bike rack. It has a ramp which allows me to rack the bike myself. It has great reviews, and I am very happy with it so far. It is very stable and fits tightly in the trailer hitch. Its seat post clamps work well with a step through or regular bike and it folds down for rear access with the bikes loaded. It is a few more steps to secure everything than with the Thule. The Thule also did not play well with fenders. This has nothing to do with the specific bike as this would be true for most ebikes.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll try to answer.

Back