Zen Photon Ultra - limited version (Bafang Ultra, Rohloff Speed hub, Gates belt drive)

I asked the question as I have read that there is a CAN version of the M620. Since this bike is assembled in Canada there is a chance that they are using the Canada (CAN) version. In addition I read on a bafang website that the new displays and motors allow the rider to switch from road to off road and back on the display by entering a special code to unlock a number of options without connecting a lap top. Kriti has said to me that she was not sure if they could send an off road version to the US. Consequently I am a little confused as to which motor is being installed and what options are available on the new Ultra. I talked to Ravi yesterday and he told me he has a meeting scheduled with Bafang today. Hopefully this will clear it all up,
So have you received an answer on which Ultra versions are available options?

He told me that he had talked to Bafang and that the version of the controller they are getting from Bafange was a version that required a special tool to reprogram, it is not the version where you can change the motor using the display. I understood that it also wasnt the CAN version, so I might be confused. I did suggest he post it on the website. Bottom line, he agreed to send the off road version to me and if it is too powerful 😵‍💫 I will research it further. Sorry if this is confusing but that is still my mental state.

He told me that he had talked to Bafang and that the version of the controller they are getting from Bafange was a version that required a special tool to reprogram, it is not the version where you can change the motor using the display. I understood that it also wasnt the CAN version, so I might be confused. I did suggest he post it on the website. Bottom line, he agreed to send the off road version to me and if it is too powerful 😵‍💫 I will research it further. Sorry if this is confusing but that is still my mental state.
Yeah... What you are saying is conflicting. 🙃

@Gionnirocket ,
I did have a chat with the Bafang factory personnel and learned that both 750W and 1000W have the same hardware. The motor armature is capable of handling 1500W continuously.
To tune the motor to 1000W, the BESST tool is used to program the motor. From what I have learned, this can not be changed using the display on the handlebar.

@Gionnirocket ,
I did have a chat with the Bafang factory personnel and learned that both 750W and 1000W have the same hardware. The motor armature is capable of handling 1500W continuously.
To tune the motor to 1000W, the BESST tool is used to program the motor. From what I have learned, this can not be changed using the display on the handlebar.
Thanks Rav'
Yes I'm aware that the motor hardware is all the same but my understanding is that the controller comes in different flavors and that's what we were trying to nail down.
So are you offering the UART or CANBUS version of controller as both can be tweaked and firmware changed using the BESST Tool
But only the UART controller allows end user PAS programming.

Thanks Rav'
Yes I'm aware that the motor hardware is all the same but my understanding is that the controller comes in different flavors and that's what we were trying to nail down.
So are you offering the UART or CANBUS version of controller as both can be tweaked and firmware changed using the BESST Tool
But only the UART controller allows end user PAS programming.

I will check if both UART and CANbus versions can be programmed from the tool or not.

To this wonderful EBR community, we wanted to let you know that our team is building a few units of this very special bike - Zen Photon 'Ultra'.
This E-bike is based on our Zen Photon platform but uses the Bafang Ultra motor and Rohloff 14-speed hub along with Gates belt drive - hence the name "ultra". Our custom Zen motor is powerful enough but some folks wanted to make use of the generous 750W limit offered in the US.
If anyone in the EBR community is interested in this high-power build with the Ultra motor, Gates belt, and Rohloff speed hub, please reach out.
We have already received a few deposits and it would only make it easier to build more units in this batch. We are only taking deposits and the remaining amount will be paid before the shipment leaves Canada.

This E-bike is going to be a very powerful rig, not for someone looking for a light weight E-bike. Someone who wants super heavy duty, long-range rig. See key specifications below:
  1. Bafang Ultra - 750W (legal), 1000W (off-road version)
  2. Rohloff 14-speed hub
  3. Gates belt drive
  4. 1040 Whr battery (52V, 20Ah) - UL certified battery (from true UL agency, not a 3rd party tested)
  5. 4-piston brakes
  6. Air-suspension, 15x110mm front wheel with Boost spacing, Zen custom suspension seatpost
  7. There is always a special connection to the EBR community, and the price of this rig is going to be very competitive with anything else on the market.

An engineering rendering is attached below. We are waiting for the UL-ceritification of the battery to be completed in the next 30 days.

View attachment 164798
After months of thinking about what my next ebike might look like given local terrain, I'm finally converging on an answer. Then poof — the Photon Ultra appears, as if to prove that such an ebike exists.

Assuming that the assist is at least torque-sensing.

Q1: Is it also "power-sensing" — meaning that the bike measures rider torque AND true cadence (crank RPM) and factors both into delivered assist power?

Finally, thanks for including the high-quality throttle. Ability to layer any amount of throttle on top of torque-sensing assist at any time makes for a very versatile power delivery system. Really value (1) the added safety in traffic, and (2) the added ability to overcome brief obstacles like steep driveways with little loss of cadence or speed. Very useful both on and off road.

I did a lot of research on bikes, especially bikes that would be excellent in very hilly and mountainous terrain. After weeks of reading, researching and talking to different companies I went with the Photon Ultra. I cant wait to get it in Idaho and tackle some of the mountain roads that I have been avoiding.

Back