Bafang to Rohloff belt drive question.

Wow. I am impressed by how friendly and knowledgeable many forum members are!!
Court Rye would be so proud.

Ravi, I am very satisfied with the 19t rear cog. It gives me (if I remember right) 2.89 which is close enough for me. I will be buying another 22t at some point just to have it in case I ever get into decent shape.😃

The people on this forum have great knowledge that they are willing to share.!

Good morning, sorry to be writing again as I thought this was pretty well resolved. In talking to the bike shop in Boise (120 miles away) that actually has the tools and experience with Gates belts and Rohloff, they made another suggestion. The tech suggested that I also consider changing the front sprocket to 60. That will result in only a 2 cog change vs a 3 cog change. He felt that the belt tensioner in the bike could probably handle that easier. So while Ravi is sending the 19 cog, I will order the 60 cog and when I have both will load up and head for Boise. My stupid (could be the operator) iPad will not download the spreadsheet to see what this will do and I am not quite sure which new cog to buy but my current one has 5 bolts, so if anyone has a few minutes to share I would appreciate it.

Why not send a few pics of your current cogs to the LBS, ask them what other information they may need like bolt quantity and spacing and have them get it for you?
Or ask Zen for the current spec?
Here's another calculator that may work better on your iPad
Gates Calculator
60/19 will give you a 3.2.... or 3.15789474 for NASA

Screenshot_20240611_101653_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:
Why not send a few pics of your current cogs to the LBS, ask them what other information they may need like bolt quantity and spacing and have them get it for you?
Or ask Zen for the current spec?
Here's another calculator that may work better on your iPad
Gates Calculator
60/19 will give you a 3.2.... or 3.15789474 for NASA

View attachment 177317
Thanks, I checked with the Gates website. There are only 2 options in 60T 5 bolt. One is regular, the other offset. Waiting for Zen to return the call an tell me if I need regular or offset. Then I need to find one.

Update. Zen sent the 19 cog sprocket and their service tech confirmed that the 128 belt would fit. After driving to Boise and going to three LBS that said they might be able to do it, I found a shop that actually worked on Rohloff and Gates and had the tools. It took the mechanic about 15 minutes to make the change. Today we did a 21 mile ride and I could easily keep up in G11 & G12. I did play with the gearing and power on a number of hills but had no trouble catching the group. At the end of the ride battery as at 82%.

Update. Zen sent the 19 cog sprocket and their service tech confirmed that the 128 belt would fit. After driving to Boise and going to three LBS that said they might be able to do it, I found a shop that actually worked on Rohloff and Gates and had the tools. It took the mechanic about 15 minutes to make the change. Today we did a 21 mile ride and I could easily keep up in G11 & G12. I did play with the gearing and power on a number of hills but had no trouble catching the group. At the end of the ride battery as at 82%.

Great to hear that, John!
Wishing you thousands of miles of fun and happy memories on the Photon Ultra.

Back