Zen Shakti

Ravi, I put up the photo of my Lefty 3 NOT to compare my bike with your offering. Rather, I did it to illustrate what a painted battery cover looks like.
I realize that my bike is a lot more expensive than the bike you will be selling. It puzzles me why you would then compare my bike to yours.

My apologies. I know you shared that to illustrate the graphics and color scheme. I get that.
Actually, after you posted that comment, I included that in my checklist to inquire with the factory about painting the battery cover as well.
The point I was trying to make was this:
If you are trying to build a bike that hits a certain price point, you will have to weigh in all options.
Should I spend an extra $10 to paint that battery cover or should I offer better brakes or better pedals?

My apologies. I know you shared that to illustrate the graphics and color scheme. I get that.
Actually, after you posted that comment, I included that in my checklist to inquire with the factory about painting the battery cover as well.
If you are trying to build a bike that hits a certain price point, you will have to weigh in all options.
Should I spend an extra $10 to paint that battery cover or should I offer better brakes or better pedals?
Better brakes. Most people want to pick out their own pedals, anyway. I’d be fine with a bike without pedals, seat, seatpost etc.

The reaction to the battery cover has surprised me. The scheme looks like Gazelle, R&M etc. Perhas I’ve been in the Euro/Bosch space too long.

A few points:

* Even cheap pedals and saddles are good and widely satisfactory, and easily upgraded for the minority who want something better and don't already have their own. Can't say the same for brakes or painted covers
* You have to skate to where the puck is, and I think the market is strongly moving towards fully integrated, sleek if not stealthy solutions. Riese and Muller is an outlier, and frankly, I think their bikes are an 'acquired taste' looks-wise, ie most would find them ugly. Stromer, Vanmoof, Cannondale, Gogoro eeyo, Specialized are all much more firmly in the mainstream of appealing aesthetics.
* You also need to think about who you're trying to compete with. I think that extra $10 of finesse and other similar moves like clean wiring and integration, make it easy for people to compare you to rigs costing considerably more.

I was, in my infancy of knowledge about ebikes, going to try and find a way to suggest more stealth. In a way fat bike tires have drawn your eyes to the obvious styling cue, the tires. Hidden/integrated batteries/ motors do same. I think stealth might have a significant marketIng appeal as well.

Another question is, ... does the rear hub in some way ease the chore of flat repair? I may have misinterpreted the comments about quick release or ease of ... maintenance ? If that is the case, another marketing coup.

Last edited:
does the rear hub in some way ease the chore of flat repair?

Yes, there is a major benefit to using quick-release thru-axle wheels. Fixing a flat is easier and is almost as easy as any mid-drive E-bike.
On the other hand, fixing a flat on a conventional rear hub motor E-bikes requires a wrench and you need to be aware of the washers' position, torque arm position, etc.
So, it is a bit more involved process like it is shown in this video.

I'm late to this thread, but I've been shopping for a first e-bike for my wife. This bike looks fabulous for the price. What comes out to me is the quality offered here:
  • Deore groupset
  • 4-piston brakes in front
  • decent suspension fork
  • decent rims (don't know the details but sounds like attention was paid)
  • quick release thru-axle
  • good lights
  • multiple frame sizes available
This stands out strongly in a sea of $2000+ bikes with budget components. As a point of reference, a while ago we were considering this Ghost hybrid on clearance at REI for $2174. The Ghost has multiple frame sizes but otherwise falls short in the points above, so we passed on it even with REI's generous one-year return policy. When I scour the internet for bikes now, I don't even consider anything below Deore (if not an IGH).

We've been looking almost exclusively at mid-drives, but we're open to a torque-sensing hub drive as long as it can handle some recreational climbing we'd like to do. If the motor and electrical system of the Shakti matches the attention to quality given to the rest of the components then I think we'll be fine there.

If either the Shakti or the Samuri were available right now, we'd probably buy one or the other depending on how much we wanted to spend.

Not useful for us: throttle, class-3, dual battery.

Yes, there is a major benefit to using quick-release thru-axle wheels. Fixing a flat is easier and is almost as easy as any mid-drive E-bike.
On the other hand, fixing a flat on a conventional rear hub motor E-bikes requires a wrench and you need to be aware of the washers' position, torque arm position, etc.
So, it is a bit more involved process like it is shown in this video.

Thanks. You are winning me over.

I'm late to this thread, but I've been shopping for a first e-bike for my wife. This bike looks fabulous for the price. What comes out to me is the quality offered here:
  • Deore groupset
  • 4-piston brakes in front
  • decent suspension fork
  • decent rims (don't know the details but sounds like attention was paid)
  • quick release thru-axle
  • good lights
  • multiple frame sizes available
This stands out strongly in a sea of $2000+ bikes with budget components. As a point of reference, a while ago we were considering this Ghost hybrid on clearance at REI for $2174. The Ghost has multiple frame sizes but otherwise falls short in the points above, so we passed on it even with REI's generous one-year return policy. When I scour the internet for bikes now, I don't even consider anything below Deore (if not an IGH).

We've been looking almost exclusively at mid-drives, but we're open to a torque-sensing hub drive as long as it can handle some recreational climbing we'd like to do. If the motor and electrical system of the Shakti matches the attention to quality given to the rest of the components then I think we'll be fine there.

If either the Shakti or the Samuri were available right now, we'd probably buy one or the other depending on how much we wanted to spend.

Not useful for us: throttle, class-3, dual battery.

Thanks for the kind words. We wanted to offer something that is reliable and provides excellent service/value.
There is a lot of background activity when it comes to testing, revising component selection, and making sure it is built to the highest standards.
Zen E-bikes has an office in Ashland, OR and you will be able to test ride these bikes very shortly. Please feel free to email me your info and we will notify you as soon as it is available for test rides and purchase.

Last edited:
I like the thumb throttle and I also like fenders. I live in Vegas so we don't get much rain but we do get water in gutters that cross the street so fenders stop that quick splash and that's enough for me to like fenders. So make them an add on if you can't include them in the price. Also will this come in step through?

Need any testers? :D We may be coming into Winter here, but I can be an unbiased reviewer and will test it in all conditions and provide feedback!

If it wasn't for the pandemic-driven shortages, I would certainly offer you one but things are in short supply and I hope we can get to the YouTube reviewers and other testers sometime later in 2021.

I like the thumb throttle and I also like fenders. I live in Vegas so we don't get much rain but we do get water in gutters that cross the street so fenders stop that quick splash and that's enough for me to like fenders. So make them an add on if you can't include them in the price. Also will this come in step through?

Well, step-thru is planned for sure but step-thru designs need meticulous design and testing to minimize frame flex and provide higher strength.
So, the design and testing will be running in the background. Hardtail bikes will come out first. Also, the standover height is quite low on the hardtail models.

Some details on the wheel/rim:

It has a 30mm width and can handle up to 2.8" size tires.
There is a sister company of Alex Rims that manufactures rims for E-bike brands like Riese and Muller, BH, and DIY experts like Grin Technologies (https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/rims.html)

The profile is identical to the Alex MD30 rim.

MD30 by Alexrims is used on Riese and Muller bikes like the Multicharger

But this sister company doesn't have the brand recognition of Alexrims, so they don't charge the brand-name premium but offer very good quality.
So, we chose to go with that.

There is a sister company of Alex Rims that manufactures rims for E-bike brands like Riese and Muller, BH, and DIY experts like Grin Technologies (https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/rims.html)

But this sister company doesn't have the brand recognition of Alexrims, so they don't charge the brand-name premium but offer very good quality.
I run the Volar 3.8 cm by Alexrims... an excellent quality, tubeless-ready wheel for EMTB's.

1609212688100.png
1609212699427.png

Last edited:

Will the bike have clearance for 2.8" tires, with/without fenders?

Good luck traveling to Ashland. As a former Oregonian, I know out-of-the-way Ashland is. Almost the perfect 1/2 way point between Portland and Sacramento, or you fly into Eugene and leave yourself with almost a 3 hr drive.

Back