What shoes do you ride with?

These are the best I've found at up to $200. Very light and airy. Sole is not curved up much - I hate the highly curved soles of sneakers and running shoes. Hate it, hate it. I wear these summer and winter. They dry off very quickly. Right now I have 5 pairs of them in case they stop selling them. $19 Canadian. Can't go wrong. And they don't. They don't slip on the city pedals at all. Don't buy any of the look-alike brands.

Attachments

• walmrt slip-ons.jpg
    walmrt slip-ons.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I just got a pair of 5-10’s that take SPD cleats and the pedals on my Levo and Vado are XT’s that are SPD on one side and flats on the other. Finding these to be about the perfect combo for me. I can ride mostly clipped in but if I think I may need to get my feet down fast I can be on the flats but still secure.

Let me preface this by stating that these shoes are meant for mountain biking, which I’m not doing yet. The fit is perfect for me. I’ve taken my 510s on 4 rides so far and they are wearing in a bit now. At first I found them quite stiff but they've loosened up and they’re getting a little better with every ride and that’s still with my Allant+7‘s original pedals. I’m still waiting on delivery of my new OneUp composite pedals, which should be better suited to the shoes.😎

Thanks a bunch to everyone for their insights! The ASICS/Bontrager Satellite City pedal combo I have are just OK but really slip more than I prefer. I’m looking at a shoe/pedal combo change to get the best of both worlds.😎
Did you ever find a better shoe/pedal combo? I also have the Satellite City Pedals (on a Verve +3) and don't think they're the best. Thanks

No, the pedals haven’t arrived yet and the shoes are the 510 Freerider MTB shoes.

I've got extra wide feet (5E+) so my choices are pretty limited. I have found found that Keen makes shoes that run wide so they're my go to cycling shoes.

I wear their closed toed sandals for Summer cycling with flat pedals;
https://www.backcountry.com/keen-ne...sir_FJRG1xu4QOzFjYcfTfUx8UEBsdbYaAnjYEALw_wcB

In cooler weather I wear hiking boots to ride with flat pedals.

I also have a pair of Keen clipless cycling shoes that I wear when I want to clip in;
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Their leather uppers stretched out nicely to fit my wide feet. I take these on our supported cycling tours as well.

Finally got my new OneUp composite pedals. Took 4 days longer than I thought. They are definitely heavier/stouter than I thought they’re be. I’ll see how they work tomorrow since I went for my ride already this morning.

Attachments

• EB7F415F-822C-43F1-8729-E931A01F4131.jpeg
    EB7F415F-822C-43F1-8729-E931A01F4131.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 310
Adidas 510 with either CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals or with Race Face (e.g. Ride) ones. The "Stamps" are equipped with adjustable steel pins that hold the shoe as strong as the clipless pedal hold the shoe-cleat. You actually need to lift your feet from the Stamps before dismounting the bike. The downside is you can hurt your shins agains the pins if you're not careful enough. The Race Face "Ride" have plastic "pins" that hold the shoe well, no danger of injury.
Thanks for your input Stefan. I was looking for flats without metal pins for my wife. I think she will like the Race Face Ride model.

Same here.
Platform spikes pedals match with my Ecco Biom Golf shoes. The YAK leather is comfy and rain resistant.

View attachment 58201
I finally tried my Bioms with my platform pedals on my new bike. They work really well - much better than my cycling shoes with the cleats removed. The Pearl Izumi soles are just a touch too hard and the golf shoe soles stick like glue!

When I was a roadie, I used clipless pedals and road racing shoes (Carnac, DMT, Carnac, Mavic) with mostly Look, then Time iClic pedals. I do have Carnac MTB shoes and SPD pedals but I'm not so serious about riding anymore. So I just wear sneakers in summer and work boots in winter. Sandals or flipflops are worn rarely while riding. Pretty freaking stupid to just wear those (hey, but I see really stupid motorcyclists wearing said footwear).

I was looking for a light slip on shoe to make my feet feel less heavy when biking but after a friend got a flat a few miles away from our end point, I’m glad I was wearing comfortable running shoes.

I like the Bontrager Satellite City pedals on my Verve + 3. I got an inexpensive pair of Nike Tanjun lace-up mesh Sneakers for the summer... nice and cool. They stick well. I also have a pair of Keen canvas sneakers which are a little warmer, and as it gets very cool here I will be wearing my Keen lightweight insulated low boots.
If it gets really wet, I might try one of two pairs of tall DuBarry leather Gore-Tex lined boots I have (one for sailing, one for hiking). They stay completely dry to nearly knee height, and are really supple. Sailing pair have flat soles, hiking ones have a heel.

Attachments

• 6B051029-3A43-4724-848C-4E2CECDB4B76.jpeg
    6B051029-3A43-4724-848C-4E2CECDB4B76.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Back