What shoes do you ride with?

For me the most important attributes are comfort, breathing and flexibility. The shoes I use for everything are adidas ultraboost or derivatives. The most comfortable and breathable shoe that has low stiffness.
Capture.PNG

My faves are Salomon Speed Cross with Catalyst Pedals. In the winter I wear Salomon Trail Runners with Goretex waterproof layer (too warm for summer). They are lightweight, super comfy and the knobs on the sole grab the pins on the pedal for perfect stability. THe catalyst pedals are longer than normal so you can span the pedal from heel to ball of the foot making stiff shoes unnecessary.
GRMIEBPAKH.jpg
CASGRASUL.jpg

I WAS wearing my Vessi shoes, which are lightweight, comfy shoes in general, but not bike shoes (though they have good grip).

After a pretty overgrown trail stretch, the burrs REALLY got into the fabric tops.

Switched over to Five Tens, and I absolutely love them. I'll stick to the Vessi for street rides, but for longer rides that include off-roading, the Five Tens go on.

Finally got my new OneUp composite pedals. Took 4 days longer than I thought. They are definitely heavier/stouter than I thought they’re be. I’ll see how they work tomorrow since I went for my ride already this morning.

@Dallant :. How do you like the OneUp pedals now that you've ridden them for a while? Do they make a big difference compared to the stock Bontrager pedals on the Allant?

These are great pedals Latitude, have them on both bikes. The little pegs help hold my shoe on the pedal even during the up stroke. I wear comfortable walking shoes when cycling because sometimes I go for walks and take an ebike to the area.
Good to hear, thanks!

I think my first task on taking delivery of these pedals is to soften the edges of the spikes... at least the ones on the outside. Sounds like they are VERY sharp!

I have too many shoes... got a lightweight pair of mesh Adidas when I got my bike with Bontrager Boulevard pedals, but I’m replacing the pedals with pinned flats for the fall and winter. I have a pair of Keens I’ll try. These are all lace-ups. My favourite footwear is Johnston & Murphy for everyday use (other than sailing, when it’s DuBarry of Ireland). These are all slip-ons, and I’m going to try the J&Ms on the bike. They are expensive, but so are five-tens, and I already have the J&Ms. They are comfortable right out of the box, have soft flat treads but are stiff-soled, and some newer versions are waterproof like my DuBarrys. Will let you know.

Attachments

• ED05043A-C9BA-42BE-84AE-616D3F4CF45D.jpeg
    ED05043A-C9BA-42BE-84AE-616D3F4CF45D.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I ride with whatever I happen to have on when the spirit moves me to ride. No slippery soled shoes like leather though.

I just ordered these from Johnston & Murphy... they are waterproof and breathable, and on sale big time. I have liked every pair of shoes I have bought from them, so hopefully these will be good going into the fall and winter here. EDIT: they are great; comfortable right out of the box and definitely waterproof. It will be interesting to see how the treads stand up to the spikes on my new flat pedals.
70BF8C9D-5AA5-4791-A709-BD26B2F337C1.jpeg

Last edited:
I got close to 10K ridden miles out of the red Merrells before I had to use some Shoe-Goo to keep the wearable. The LaCrosse boots are the best footwear I have used for keeping my feet dry, and therefore warm in wet weather... knee-high wool socks help.

20201001_100536.jpg
20201001_100542.jpg
20201001_100555.jpg
20201001_101205.jpg

20201001_101209.jpg

Back