What shoes do you ride with?

These are what I wear most of the time, really comfortable and heavy duty to boot (hahahahaha)...
biking sandals.jpg

Anything will work as long as you don't crash. Then all bets are off. ;)
On occasion I'll wear flipflops to the corner bar. Otherwise, boots or shoes.

With over fifty years riding dirtbikes and more than a few crashes, the brain gets conditioned to provide more protection for body parts.
Definitely toe covering, ankle bones are suseptible, elbow and knee pads, and a mips helmet. I learned the hardway that exposed knuckles turn to hamburger when you go down.

And why I don't do jumps at my age. :cool:

These are my favorites - good toe protection, cover ankles with leather, and the crepe soles grip the STAMP1's like glue. They're a little too warm mid-summer though. I think they would be a bit heavy for a pedal-only bike, but on eMTB they work surprisingly well. I own 5 pairs of RedWings, the shoe-fetish for guys. The 'briar oil slick' is just killer. 🤣

Otherwise I like my closed-toe'd sandals like Dallant. 👍

red-wing-classic-moc-toe-brown-boot-08138-1-p1703-138307_image.jpg
Whatever spins your crank!😉
That said, the idea of high tops seems a bit restrictive to me.

Thanks but I hyperextended/fractured one elbow with the very first set of clips when I couldn’t release. I’ve never worn a set since.
Jesus! That sucks and I feel for you. I have had 3 'slow motion falls', more like 'fall over' with them - years ago - so now I only use them for when I'm riding open highways putting in mile after mile - I may be down to just one of my bikes in my fleet soon with the clips, the rest like you are flats and with the 5 10's you ordered.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to your feedback on the shoes when you have a chance to try them out.

I have been riding with kitchen clogs. 🤣 Specifically Crocs Bistro Clogs. The soles stick nicely to the pins of my Race Face Chester pedals, and they are relatively stiff as well. Plus they are comfy and cool for my sweaty feet.

Jesus! That sucks and I feel for you. I have had 3 'slow motion falls', more like 'fall over' with them - years ago - so now I only use them for when I'm riding open highways putting in mile after mile - I may be down to just one of my bikes in my fleet soon with the clips, the rest like you are flats and with the 5 10's you ordered.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to your feedback on the shoes when you have a chance to try them out.
Yeah, it was 1980 and that elbow still bugs me.

Whatever I happen to be wearing! Usually either my Altra Superior trail runners, Keens, or Doc Martens. I'll even go barefoot on occasion if I'm just going around the block.

After riding almost exclusively in bike specific shoes with clipless pedals for the last decade+, I'm finding it quite refreshing to just jump on the bike and go! Flat pedals are great for impromptu rides or running quick errands with little fuss.

For longer rides I will put on my trail runners.

I use these View attachment 57362

Flarut men’s sandals. Actually Amazon sells these under several brand names. They are cheap and run large. I am wearing a pair now that is two sizes smaller than normal. The soles are indestructible. I use platform pedals with little screws and they chew up the bottom of most shoes, but not these. The rubber bumpers protect my toes. The openings let air in to my foot. They are comfortable to walk in, and the sole is rigid enough to provide some buffer from the pedal. The label on top says “fashion” so I know when I am wearing them I have fashion on my feet.
I also ride with a similar pair of shoes from Amazon. My pedals have nylon toe clips but no straps so my primary concern was finding a sandal/shoe that will fit in the toe clip. These and the ones I have fit perfectly

So, what newer shoes do you ride with and what do you like about them?
I’ve been looking at some new biking shoes but have no interest in any kind of clip style shoes as my Allant has the boring but effective Bontrager Satellite City pedal. I’ve been wearing a very light pair of ASICS hiking style shoes.
For winter riding this combination is the best. Thin insulation, a rubber undersole, a defined heel. That plus real wool socks. Very comfortable down to -5C. My feet don’t feel any different than summer riding other than the extra cushioning.
For summer riding I think someone should make a shoe with a double heel that would fit perfectly to the bikes pedals. It would improve foot alignment, stop slippage, and allow power delivery for more of the pedal stroke. All that without the problems of clip ons. Way back I took a grinder to a set of shoes to fit them to my pedals. Very difficult to do, the soles resist grinding, but as a proof of concept they worked. I’ve looked but never found any one making such a shoe.
536987FC-2444-4FF6-8F8E-EB8379D43875.jpeg

Golf shoes here.
Where I live the weather is very dry.
Plastic spikes only in wet weather, somewhere else, (metal spikes 25 years ago) and molded traction soles do the trick now.
I buy 2 pairs a year. Footjoy, Skechers, Ecco.
They become the next years regular shoes other than work as the traction part is now rubbed down just a tad.
Very comfortable and stylish of course.

Same here.
Platform spikes pedals match with my Ecco Biom Golf shoes. The YAK leather is comfy and rain resistant.

View attachment 58201
I have my Eccos still in use on the course, backing up my FJ Pro SLs. They are targeted for the bike soon however. Mine are tan.

What I do ride with currently, on MEC (sort of like REI but in Canada) campus style pedals are a combination of closed toe sandals from LL Bean, lightweight Reebock runners and these Pearl Izumi SPD cleated biking shoes.

20200707_181742.jpg20200707_181750.jpg

New Balance walkers. I've had to push the bike 7 miles a couple of times when I blew a tire or dropped balls out of the axle.
they're the only brand selling narrow walkers, but the last pair i bought the sleazebag substituted medium width. ******* ordered me to buy a ***-**** chinese printer to make a return label, threw them away instead. I guess I'm going to have to start making my own shoes, nobody stocks narrow walkers in this tiny metropolis of only 2 million people. Carl Dyer makes custom shoes in Friendship IN, but they can't have rubber soles or a cushion above. #%^%^*(+ Been cutting and gluing rubber from mcmaster on the bottoms of my old lasts.
When I walk in medium width shoes, they twist over and the outside last touches the ground instead of the sole. Hurts my knee to walk that way, plus I trip a lot.

Last edited:
Shoes? Seriously? I changed pedals to a less aggressive tread, and ride almost exclusively on the beach!

Well, the new 510s worked great today, especially considering they had never been worn and I went over 20 miles!
FDD671FA-85E9-4FAA-B1CC-63A27810AAE3.jpeg
51E0E182-C719-4EA6-91BA-FC3780AF16EC.jpeg

thanks for the recommendation of the 510's. I had been riding in Merrell hiking shoes which worked fairly well and were reasonably stiff. Still, at the end of rides, I'd start feeling the pedals coming through the soles. The 510's are stiffer, lighter, and wow do they stick to the pedals. I'm slightly faster in the 510's and for reasons I'm not sure about, my lower back does better near the end of my rides with the 510's on.

Back