What shoes do you ride with?

Adidas 510 with either CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals or with Race Face (e.g. Ride) ones. The "Stamps" are equipped with adjustable steel pins that hold the shoe as strong as the clipless pedal hold the shoe-cleat. You actually need to lift your feet from the Stamps before dismounting the bike. The downside is you can hurt your shins agains the pins if you're not careful enough. The Race Face "Ride" have plastic "pins" that hold the shoe well, no danger of injury.
Crank Brothers Stamps are $35 (US) Are the worth it? I currently using a set of baskets that I have had on my old hybrid for 15 years. I don’t mind spending money if it’s worth it. My feet can get a little touchy at times.

Adidas 510 with either CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals or with Race Face (e.g. Ride) ones. The "Stamps" are equipped with adjustable steel pins that hold the shoe as strong as the clipless pedal hold the shoe-cleat. You actually need to lift your feet from the Stamps before dismounting the bike. The downside is you can hurt your shins agains the pins if you're not careful enough. The Race Face "Ride" have plastic "pins" that hold the shoe well, no danger of injury.

Might also want to look at the oneup composite pedals, IMHO much sturdier than the Stamp1

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/pedals/products/comp-pedal

I use the Stamp1 pedals and the OneUp pedals. While The Stamp1 pedals do hold your foot well onto the pedal, the OneUp Pedal takes it to the next level. I find I can easily readjust my foot with the Stamp1 by slightly unweighting my foot but the OneUp takes a much more deliberate effort which can actually get frustrating if you position your foot wrong while starting out on a technical uphill section. Basically your stuck with that position till the trail gets easier.

Either of these pedals can be tuned with different size screws. Both the Stamp1 and OneUp come with 10mm screws which can easily be changed. I am using 9mm screws on the OneUps now and they still stick better than the Stamp1 with the stock 10mm screws.

I also have a set of RaceFace chesters which are very popular but dont work well with my wide size 13 feet. After about 10 minutes, the outer part of my feet go numb with the chesters.

You mean 1 mm and 0.9 mm pins don't you @linklemming. Besides, the fact I can adjust my feet position won me for the Stamps. I always put my feet wrong first 😂

Crank Brothers Stamps are $35 (US) Are the worth it? I currently using a set of baskets that I have had on my old hybrid for 15 years. I don’t mind spending money if it’s worth it. My feet can get a little touchy at times.
Please read posts of linklemming and @Oberst 😊

You mean 1 mm and 0.9 mm pins don't you @linklemming. Besides, the fact I can adjust my feet position won me for the Stamps. I always put my feet wrong first 😂

Nope, both the stamp1 and oneup pedals composite use m3x10 screws for the pins.

I agree the stamp1 is better for street/commmuting/normal riding. If you are serious about staying stuck to your pedals in offroad situations, oneup is a better pedal.

Nope, both the stamp1 and oneup pedals composite use m3x10 screws for the pins.

I agree the stamp1 is better for street/commmuting/normal riding. If you are serious about staying stuck to your pedals in offroad situations, oneup is a better pedal.
I see. You meant the length.

I just ride in a pair of trail runners, preferably ones without laces so there is less to be caught in the chain and sprocket.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. After all the info here and talking with my son-in-law mtb rider, the 510s won out and I ordered a pair.👍

You're going to love the 5 10's. I have a pair for all the reasons Stefan detailed for my bikes with flat pedals. I also have the 5 10's Pro Boa with clips for when I ride clipped in (road only now) and they are awesome for a clipped style shoe.

I realize you stated you are only looking for flats right now and I can appreciate your thinking - just dropping the above in case you ever decide to try/add clipping in to your riding.

I ended up with the Freerider MTBs and the OneUp composite pedals.

Attachments

• 505CD675-1C91-46A8-B260-18D258B04096.jpeg
    505CD675-1C91-46A8-B260-18D258B04096.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 303
You're going to love the 5 10's. I have a pair for all the reasons Stefan detailed for my bikes with flat pedals. I also have the 5 10's Pro Boa with clips for when I ride clipped in (road only now) and they are awesome for a clipped style shoe.

I realize you stated you are only looking for flats right now and I can appreciate your thinking - just dropping the above in case you ever decide to try/add clipping in to your riding.
Thanks but I hyperextended/fractured one elbow with the very first set of clips when I couldn’t release. I’ve never worn a set since.

Anything will work as long as you don't crash. Then all bets are off. ;)
On occasion I'll wear flipflops to the corner bar. Otherwise, boots or shoes.

With over fifty years riding dirtbikes and more than a few crashes, the brain gets conditioned to provide more protection for body parts.
Definitely toe covering, ankle bones are suseptible, elbow and knee pads, and a mips helmet. I learned the hardway that exposed knuckles turn to hamburger when you go down.

And why I don't do jumps at my age. :cool:

These are my favorites - good toe protection, cover ankles with leather, and the crepe soles grip the STAMP1's like glue. They're a little too warm mid-summer though. I think they would be a bit heavy for a pedal-only bike, but on eMTB they work surprisingly well. I own 5 pairs of RedWings, the shoe-fetish for guys. The 'briar oil slick' is just killer. 🤣

Otherwise I like my closed-toe'd sandals like Dallant. 👍

red-wing-classic-moc-toe-brown-boot-08138-1-p1703-138307_image.jpg

Last edited:
Back