What shoes do you ride with?

got these keens waterproof and insulated for my Portland inter riding.
The problem I have is when it's raining and I'm wearing rain pants the water ends up inside my waterproof shoe. I've tried several different styles of waterproof socks that are great the 1st ride and way less great 5 or 10 rides later, about worthless. Truly a fucking bread bag like my mom made me wear (when I was a kid... not last week) would keep more rain away from my foot and base layer sock than waterproof socks do, and after what seems to me as a very short time considering the price of the socks. A shoe-strap like my sisters' pedal pusher pants had... again when I was a kid, would keep the bottom of the rain-pants below the top of the shoe, but would be shredded pretty quickly, and they're not cheap either. Soaking the shoes isn't an option if you aren't riding home that day. Gators are an option and are super helpful in scree, not so much in calf-deep water. I've never seen shoe covers for standard shoes or boots that would be worth carrying. I have Frogg Togg over boots but they feel huge on the pedals. I also found that I would usually wait too long to don them and still end up with wet shoes and socks. I replaced them with the LeCrosse boots (Alaskan tennis shoes). They are 100% waterproof, can't absorb water like leather, able to be worn up or down on or off the bike, allow me to walk the bike through water, are heavy, don't breathe, and expensive... so good and bad.

I wear my Columbia Granite Ridge waterproof hiking shoes in winter work commute. Northwave MTB All mountain Escape Evo the rest of the time. Also added extra large MTB pedals for my size 14 shoes on my Radrover fat tire ebike.

Columbia-Men's-Granite-Ridge-Mid-Waterproof-Hiking-Boot-Mud-Rusty.jpg

Northwave.jpg

Just got a new pair of Columbia Outdry “Absolutely Waterproof” low cuts. These are going to be my wet weather riding shoes. Bought them a bit large for warmer socks.
9C2094F7-D45F-4FA4-A910-CDA72AD8D655.jpeg

I've had the occasional issues with laces when I was riding with my jogging shoes. Nothing worse than getting your laces caught in the chain at 20 mph. One of the reasons I picked a MTB shoe with a Velcro strap. I do the double knot thing with my hiking shoes when I work commute in winter.

I've had the occasional issues with laces when I was riding with my jogging shoes. Nothing worse than getting your laces caught in the chain at 20 mph. One of the reasons I picked a MTB shoe with a Velcro strap. I do the double knot thing with my hiking shoes when I work commute in winter.
I always tie mine biased to the outside of the shoe and try to keep the bow short. If that doesn’t look like it will work I slide the bow under the laces and never have a problem.

Here are my last-resort boots for biking if it gets really wet. They are very comfortable and totally dry all day up to their tops, but not warm enough for really cold northern winters. I have a pair with flat treads for sailing (shown here) and a pair with hiking treads. Had both for over 15 years.
Edit: I have been wearing these for the past few days as it gets colder and wetter here in mid October. Rain pants over top. They are phenomenally good to ride in, stiff and the flat treads are very resilient to absorb the pedal spikes.

Attachments

• 41079321-2198-4104-BA93-71E10CCC4518.jpeg
    41079321-2198-4104-BA93-71E10CCC4518.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Here are my last-resort boots for biking if it gets really wet. They are very comfortable and totally dry all day up to their tops, but not warm enough for really cold northern winters. I have a pair with flat treads for sailing (shown here) and a pair with hiking treads. Had both for over 15 years.
They look very comfy! I found that while the Columbia Outdry shoes may be waterproof, they sure aren't very warm.

Last edited:
I ride with Nike Shark football cleats. This link show similar but not the ones I have. The gist is that they are stiff. They don't flex and they engage with my Meetlocks pedals for pull and press pedaling.

I just took them for a short ride... they are great on the bike!
You bought the Columbia Outdry? Oh you mean the boots.
I liked the Columbia’s on the bike also but we had a really cold windy (35-40) day and my feet get cold easily. I’ll wear heavier socks next time. Or maybe I need some boots!

Etnies with Michelin soles for commute + office wear - riding on spiked platform pedals:

etnies make quite a range of styles with fabric and PU uppers dependent upon how weather proof you want.

oneal and five ten are other options, the oneal pinned shoe has a cuff at the head for added protection/warmth

Back