Vario vs Rohloff on Superdelite with GX option on steep fire roads/trails

I am putting the 1st miles on my Vario equipped SuperD. So far so good! I am happy with the hill climbing performance. If anything, I am left a little wanting for top end gearing on descents...no big deal though. What a machine!

I just talked with the person from the dealership where I'd ordered the SD/Vario/GX bike (The New Wheel in Larksbur, CA). The New Wheel was returning my call after checking order status: whether it was too late for the switch from Vario to Rohloff. It was too late -- the bike is already in a container about to be sent to San Francisco Bay area. The person did assuage my anxiety some. He pointed out that the Vario is a smoother shifting mechanism and with the motor firmware upgrade (to be out by July 20th -- at least that's my understanding --https://electrek.co/2020/06/25/bosch-electric-bicycle-power-upgrade/) the Vario should do okay on steep climbs (though will require more effort than the Rohloff). I was also relieved some by watching the video from the fellow in Luxembourg going up a 20% grade (huffing and puffing some that John posted earlier in response to my question). Near where I live in the San Francisco Bay area is a VERY steep road, Marin Ave, and this link indicates that the street has a 25% grade: https://john-s-allen.com/galleries/berkeley/slides/00Marin Ave.html#:~:text=Marin Avenue&text=Marin Avenue in north Berkeley,the entire San Francisco area.). Marin is indeed VERY steep, so I figure that with the firmware update, I should be fine (unclear about whether dirt vs the asphalt road makes a difference in going up the same steep grade). Another note: The person from the New Wheel indicated that though my bike is now in a shipping container, he can’t make an estimate of when the bike will arrive, and this may be relevant for others: Due to COVID, Riese & Muller is having delays getting their bikes through customs.

Verified hill climbing capability of SuperDelite HS with eRohloff on two of the steep climbs in San Francisco.. My wife is on a Cannondale Canvas Neo Remixte 1 with Shimano HG500, 11-42, 10-speed (Nevo3 is inbound)... She climbed the hills on lowest with Turbo Assist)

1) Filbert St (b/t Hyde and Leavenworth) 31.5% Grade
1st attempt on lowest gear with tour assist - some effort
2nd attempt on lowest gear with turbo assist - minimal effort
filbert.jpeg

2) 22nd St (b/t Church and Vicksburg) - 31.5% Grade
Attempt on lowest gear with sport assist - minimal effort
22nd.jpeg
22nd - top of hill.jpeg

I ride everyday on demanding grades on dirt, sand, and rutted roads. For me the Roloff was a no-brainer and I have been rejoicing many times that I swallowed hard and paid the difference--and the electronic shifting speed is critical when climbing. I am amazed at the both the Roloff and the Bosch HS. Lowest gear I have had to use is 3rd gear. Forth gets me up most steep grades--but it is nice to know the gears are there if needed--BTW I'm 6"6" and 300 lbs. What a motivation to be able to ride these dirt roads right from my house!!

Verified hill climbing capability of SuperDelite HS with eRohloff on two of the steep climbs in San Francisco.. My wife is on a Cannondale Canvas Neo Remixte 1 with Shimano HG500, 11-42, 10-speed (Nevo3 is inbound)... She climbed the hills on lowest with Turbo Assist)

1) Filbert St (b/t Hyde and Leavenworth) 31.5% Grade
1st attempt on lowest gear with tour assist - some effort
2nd attempt on lowest gear with turbo assist - minimal effort

2) 22nd St (b/t Church and Vicksburg) - 31.5% Grade
Attempt on lowest gear with sport assist - minimal effort

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Gearing is quite important on a mid-drive system like Bosch and having a wide gear ratio either using a derailleur or Internal Gear Hub makes a lot of difference.

San Fran roads are not in best shape and I am sure you enjoying the Superdelite Rohloff HS! 🤘

Back