Delite Rohloff HS with GX Option

BruceBrown

Region
USA
City
Kansas City
While I know that purpose-built bikes are always going to be the best for specific kinds of terrain (i.e. mountain vs road), I've become enamored with the Delite and wanted to ask opinions of any owners.

I really enjoy riding on the singletrack trails near my home, but I do spend more time on the road than off. The Delite, with the GX option and Fox suspension seems that it would provide better on-road performance compared to the mountain version, while still giving the bike some serious capability off-road. The mountain version would never have the on-road manners of the regular Delite however.

For those of you with a Delite with the GX, how capable is it off-road? Is the rear rack easily removed? The fenders look like they'd be easy to remove, but I can't tell about the rack by the photos I've seen.

Last, here is my thinking on the HS vs. CX so please let me know if my thought process is off. The HS version will give me better touring/road speed compared to the CX. The CX has eMTB mode which improves the torque compared to Sport mode, but if a HS is put into Turbo the torque can increase up to the full 85 the CX has in eMTB mode. For the times I'm offroad and need the extra boost, is an HS in Turbo comparable to the CX in eMTB?

Like many of you I'm sure, I've gone back and forth on regular vs. Super version of the Delite. I won't always need the range of the Super, and the regular Delite is a bit lighter. I know I could run the Super with one battery, but I'd still be sacrificing some weight. For the times I'd need the range, strapping an extra battery to the rack or putting it in my backpack seems like it could be a good tradeoff. Any of you who made one of these choices, would you do it differently if you were ordering all over again?

I owned a 2018 Delite mountain with 11 speed derailleur, that I modified with a delimiter to obtain higher speeds, thereby voiding the warranty (no big deal as I just recently sold the bike with 6,500 miles and absolutely no problems with anything). Obviously getting a speed version up front is a smarter option. I also upgraded to a Nyon display, which I highly recommend.

Having had two other bikes with Rohloff E14 I ended up with a strong preference for a derailleur versus Rohloff. It is slightly more efficient, if you keep it clean and well lubricated. The Rohloff with the belt is cool and, when it runs well, a terrific system. However if you among the unfortunate few, as I was, who experiences a leaky seal, it can take months to get it fixed, months without your very expensive bike. A conventional drive train with a cassette, shifter and derailleur needs regular cleaning and lubrication, replacement of the chain and eventually the cassette as well. However parts are readily available in most bike shops as are people who can do the replacement for you, if you are not mechanically inclined. Problems take days to fix rather than months with the kind of spotty service Rohloff has had here in North America

I rode mostly on roads in the Pacific Northwest (lots of rain) so I also added SKS Bluemels 75 fenders and Johnny Watt 2.8" tires, plus the Supernova pro headlight. I also had a pair of SKS raceblades for quick off and on during the summer months. After three years, I upgraded the fork and shock to Fox Factory with Kashmina. The rack comes off and goes on in about two minutes by removing 3 bolts. I swapped out the handle bar for a surly Terminal with a 30 degree sweep back for more hand and wrist comfort.

I would definitely recommend getting the dual battery and get the dummy cover so that you could safely ride with only one battery but also go with two whenever you wanted to go longer or carry more weight. Although Kansas is not very hilly, it does get pretty windy there out on the plains and wind is a real battery eater as well as hills.

All in all a fantastic bike that will put a smile on your face every time you saddle up. Note the different fenders in the two photos. The first photo in front of the garage door is quite recent. As you can see the bike has held up quite well.

I am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

20220522_121258.jpg

20210526_125934.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This bike just sold for $5,000 in perfect working order, with a ton of new spare parts and cosmetically almost like new. That a whole lot of extra money to pay for "pretty".

Alaskan: When you take off the rack what do you do with the taillight and associated wiring?
I own a 2020 Delite with GX , bought in Sept. 2020 and it currently has 9576 miles with absolutely zero problems.
To the OP I’ve ridden my Delite about 500 miles of the above off road as in graded dirt roads or a little more challenging than that and had no problems . I did lower the tire pressure though to 32 frt/ 36 rear.
Thanks Alaskan for a reply.

I owned a 2018 Delite mountain with 11 speed derailleur, that I modified with a delimiter to obtain higher speeds, thereby voiding the warranty (no big deal as I just recently sold the bike with 6,500 miles and absolutely no problems with anything). Obviously getting a speed version up front is a smarter option. I also upgraded to a Nyon display, which I highly recommend.

Having had two other bikes with Rohloff E14 I ended up with a strong preference for a derailleur versus Rohloff. It is slightly more efficient, if you keep it clean and well lubricated. The Rohloff with the belt is cool and, when it runs well, a terrific system. However if you among the unfortunate few, as I was, who experiences a leaky seal, it can take months to get it fixed, months without your very expensive bike. A conventional drive train with a cassette, shifter and derailleur needs regular cleaning and lubrication, replacement of the chain and eventually the cassette as well. However parts are readily available in most bike shops as are people who can do the replacement for you, if you are not mechanically inclined. Problems take days to fix rather than months with the kind of spotty service Rohloff has had here in North America

I rode mostly on roads in the Pacific Northwest (lots of rain) so I also added SKS Bluemels 75 fenders and Johnny Watt 2.8" tires, plus the Supernova pro headlight. I also had a pair of SKS raceblades for quick off and on during the summer months. After three years, I upgraded the fork and shock to Fox Factory with Kashmina. The rack comes off and goes on in about two minutes by removing 3 bolts. I swapped out the handle bar for a surly Terminal with a 30 degree sweep back for more hand and wrist comfort.

I would definitely recommend getting the dual battery and get the dummy cover so that you could safely ride with only one battery but also go with two whenever you wanted to go longer or carry more weight. Although Kansas is not very hilly, it does get pretty windy there out on the plains and wind is a real battery eater as well as hills.

All in all a fantastic bike that will put a smile on your face every time you saddle up. Note the different fenders in the two photos. The first photo in front of the garage door is quite recent. As you can see the bike has held up quite well.

I am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

View attachment 127849

View attachment 127850
I had the same leaking experience with the Kindernay XIV and went through three of them before converting my existing bike to a derailleur and adding electronic shifting with an Archer Components D1X Trail.

Alaskan: When you take off the rack what do you do with the taillight and associated wiring?
I own a 2020 Delite with GX , bought in Sept. 2020 and it currently has 9576 miles with absolutely zero problems.
To the OP I’ve ridden my Delite about 500 miles of the above off road as in graded dirt roads or a little more challenging than that and had no problems . I did lower the tire pressure though to 32 frt/ 36 rear.
Thanks Alaskan for a reply.
the tail light is a bright 3-light Supernova that is not on the rack but rather attached down low, by the rear dropout. In the photo below you can see it along side of the back wheel brake rotor. It is attached to the fender mount threaded hole

20220522_121715.jpg

I had the same leaking experience with the Kindernay XIV and went through three of them before converting my existing bike to a derailleur and adding electronic shifting with an Archer Components D1X Trail.
How do you like the Archer? I had heard there was a bit of a delay or lag in shifting but perhaps they have addressed this.

How do you like the Archer? I had heard there was a bit of a delay or lag in shifting but perhaps they have addressed this.
I’ve not experienced any delays. They came out with a different battery last year that increased the shifting speed and I bought that, but I had no issues on the original batteries either. I really like the new paddle shifter vs the original buttons.

Thanks to those of you who responded to this thread. I pulled the trigger today on a Superdelite Rohloff HS with the GX and Fox options. Looking forward to posting more in the R&M forums.

It seems like we kind of have the same requirements for a (mountain)bike. I have a R&M Delite Touring HS non-GX, but fitted with Johnny Watts 2.6" tires (not the Superdelite) and use it as both a commuter speed pedelec and the occasional mountainbiking.

To answer your questions:
  • how capable is it off-road? > Very capable, the Johnny Watts tires do a great job at both asphalt and offroad terrain, but as always with something that's dual purpose, expect some compromises. It doesn't provide the samen grip in mud as a full stubby tire and with me, it wears out quicker than something like a Supermoto-X for example (I ride it hard though). But definitely the best allround tire I found so far, looks cool as well.
  • Is the rear rack easily removed? > Not really, it's fixed with three bolts, but the bottom ones are not very easy to remove. I just leave it on with mountainbiking. Also with the HS version here in the EU, the rear light is fixed to the end of the rack and not to the seat stays.
  • The fenders look like they'd be easy to remove, > I can confirm, they are not, especially the rear one. I converted my Delite from the bag-carrier-fender-option to the suspended rear rack, remove the rear fender was pretty hard. I run the bike without a rear fender, and a mtb oriented front fender (Crud XL fender). It's not the prettiest, but can be mounted close to the wheel so minimizes splash at higher speeds.
  • Last, here is my thinking on the HS vs. CX > I use to have a gen3 Bosch eMTB and the performance is kind of like the same. I believe (bit correct me if I am wrong) the Sport mode behaves the same as the eMTB mode. The 85nm of torque seem to always be there, no hill is to steep for this bike it seems. You will lose grip before running out of torque :)
  • I've gone back and forth on regular vs. Super version of the Delite. > I did not have this choice as I went for a second hand option, but the regular Delite definitely seemed the better option for me, since the weight is a bit less and the frame has a normal upper tube. So I can use the same bike stand, car rack etc. as for the other bikes. Used to have a Supercharger and that was a pain for me, as none of my current carrying tools was designed for the bigger frame tube. I just carry an extra battery in a backpack or on the rear rack (which the suspended rack is superb for).
    On the other hand, the extra range does would definitely come in handy now and then (swapping an intube battery is not super easy) and something like integrating a charger in the upper tube if you don't use the battery would be amazing :D
For me, the Delite or Superdelite is the perfect allroad bike, the suspended rear rack is amazing. I chose the Touring because I had an Enviolo Supercharger and could not get used to that, the ratio is too narrow and shifting too stiff. Rohloff's electric shifting 14-speed seems nice, but is so expensive that I don't think it's worth it. Repairs also seems a pain if you don't have a specialized service center nearby. For those who can afford it; I dream of it everytime I am cleaning my chain and re-tuning my derailleur...

When I go mountainbiking, I just take the bags of and leave it as it is. I removed the mirror and fenders, since, they seemed too bulky for mountainbiking. Running the non-GX 120mm Suntour fork and default rear shock. Only pain is the kickstand. I like having a kickstand while commuting, but when driving over uneven terrain, it will ratlle like hell the entire time, had to remove it.

Looking forward to your reports on the bike you ordered!

Back