I Ditched The GX Stock Johnny Watts Tires...

Big ruts, cracked and raised concrete, potholes, badly patched and re-patched areas...

I plow through 2" deep pot holes riding no-hands.
Weight and inertia have advantages, and the 27.5" X 2.8" Tires make a huge difference.

I have 2.8" Schwalbe Super Moto-X on one of my bikes. Good tyres, fast rolling! I'm on my 2nd set now. I do recommend them.

Saying that I am after tyres for my traditional bike (yep I still ride it now and then! :)) and think I'll give these Continental Contact Urbans a try as they come in 700c sizing!

Just want to note that a softer/bigger saddle is not always more comfortable while on the bike (or after): Ideally you want your weight to be transmitted from your bones to the bike. Since your bones are inside your body, there has to be some soft tissue involved in the weight transfer. A big, soft seat spreads this out, but often irritates more soft tissue as a result, because the area the weight is distributed to isn't itself good at transmitting force to your pelvis. If you get a seat with the right shape for your skeletal structure and riding position, it can be quite firm while still being very comfortable.

At some point I think I will retire my JW's. When I do, I will have 2 sets of tire/rims. One set for the straight up pavement that are "street tires" and another that are better suited for real off road riding. Nice to have a mid drive bike allowing for the switching.

Just want to note that a softer/bigger saddle is not always more comfortable while on the bike (or after): Ideally you want your weight to be transmitted from your bones to the bike. Since your bones are inside your body, there has to be some soft tissue involved in the weight transfer. A big, soft seat spreads this out, but often irritates more soft tissue as a result, because the area the weight is distributed to isn't itself good at transmitting force to your pelvis. If you get a seat with the right shape for your skeletal structure and riding position, it can be quite firm while still being very comfortable.
It is an upright riding position that puts most of the body weight onto one's butt. A soft saddle gets compressed, and the bones put the stress through the thin body tissue. Moreover, getting 'buried' into a soft seat makes it hadly possible to pedal but again, PCebiker only uses the pedals as footrests :)

Now that's funny. 😂
PCebiker is not aware that stacking different suspension types is counter-productive, as these system interact with one another creating harmonic vibration, which is exactly what should be avoided. (Some people must have missed physics lessons at school...)

Back