Speed for low price

FelixBike

Region
Canada
I want to get an ebike (or a moped or motorcycle) that can go up to at least 55kph and is under 3000$ CAD (or a little bit more if it’s really necessary). I am willing to build/modify it if need be but I don’t want something that looks like a DIY project done by a 12yo. I already got a Sondors MXS but increasing the speed on this bike seems to be very expensive and I don’t want to spend more than 900$ CAD to modify it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I thought Bolton WAS supplying drop in controller kits (made by KT) for the Sonders bikes, but I don't see them any more. I think that's what you are after though, a controller that doesn't act like a governor set lower than you want. KT's 35 amp controller should be able to deliver everything your battery has available to the motor - with no restrictions, unless you set one up. Something like that should get you close to 55kmh, but not for long. Going that fast requires a LOT of battery power, and most guys, once they see it WILL go that fast, rarely ever go that fast again. The mileage you get on a charge is going to suck....

Regarding the DIY projects that look like they're done by a 12yo, that's all on you. Some folks just throw a project together, doing whatever is required to get them running, then drive it that way (wires and cables hanging out everywhere). That SAME install, done with some thought/workmanship behind it, can look like a production bike.

I thought Bolton WAS supplying drop in controller kits (made by KT) for the Sonders bikes, but I don't see them any more. I think that's what you are after though, a controller that doesn't act like a governor set lower than you want. KT's 35 amp controller should be able to deliver everything your battery has available to the motor - with no restrictions, unless you set one up. Something like that should get you close to 55kmh, but not for long. Going that fast requires a LOT of battery power, and most guys, once they see it WILL go that fast, rarely ever go that fast again. The mileage you get on a charge is going to suck....

Regarding the DIY projects that look like they're done by a 12yo, that's all on you. Some folks just throw a project together, doing whatever is required to get them running, then drive it that way (wires and cables hanging out everywhere). That SAME install, done with some thought/workmanship behind it, can look like a production bike.
On the DIY side, is it possible to make something that can go 55kph or more, has dual suspension (more like a motorcycle style), and a decent range for around 3000$ CAD?

On the DIY side, is it possible to make something that can go 55kph or more, has dual suspension (more like a motorcycle style), and a decent range for around 3000$ CAD?
My first guess would be no chance, based on the need for "decent range".

Punching a hole in the air the size of you and your bike while doing 55kmh takes a HUGE amount of battery power. The other problem is the amount of heat generated by the motor. Getting rid of that/controlling it can be quite a challenge. Both problems take cubic $$$ to overcome. Not saying it can't be done, more that it's not a project I'd recommend for a rookie builder on a budget.

Seeing what can be done with the bike you have will teach you a ton. When you have that all set up where you think you can do no better, that might be a good time to make a call about a project like you propose. Walk before you run.....

People claim they can put 1500W motors on old steel mountain bikes on skinny tires with 52V, and top out somewhere in the low 30's (mph).

How much power will you burn? I have no experience with anything beyond 20 mph. Here's a thread where various e-bikers discuss their results. Someone with a cyclone rig said 45-48 wh/mile at 30 mph.

Let's call it 50 wh/mile at 30 mph. One hour will need 3000 watt-hours. At 52V, that's 60 Ah. not even accounting for battery efficiency. I believe you would need a battery rated at 80Ah to actually get 60ah. Huge power, in my opinion. Cheap motor, but expensive battery.

Back