Fast, dual battery torque sensing mid drive commuters?

Maestrodenada

I’m looking to upgrade from a class 1 yamaha mid drive bike. I want more speed and range for longer trips for a hilly area. Looking for bikes with a front suspension, a torque-sensing mid-drive with 80+nm, and big battery capacity (or dual batteries). I’d like to be able to do 35-40 mile trips at 24-25mph (where safe). Don’t care about a throttle- I like pedaling and want some exercise.

This seems to fall into a bit of a gap in the market. Many of the bikes I can find which fit these specs are super-premium ones that come with unnecessarily expensive features like belt drives and enviolo hubs. I don’t mind maintaining a drivetrain and I want maximum efficiency.

The Gazelle Madeo T10+ seems like a potential option. What else closer to the $3500-$4k price range checks these boxes? Also considering DIY with a TSDZ2 or the Cyc photon when it comes out, but I care a lot about ALL weather reliability.

Trek Allant + with the Bosch Performance Speed motor and Range Boost dual battery option would be worth a test ride

ALL weather reliability
These are water resistant but not dive watches. Today I opened up the two sides of a new TSDZ2 and used gasket sealant for added weather resistance. The 'B' version comes more weather resistant for example a new seal behind the chainring. It is also more robust and smoother than earlier versions and comes in a 90Nm 750W permutation. If you were averaging 20Mph and lightly spinning like a pro 50 miles of range is no problem. See a video on How to Pedal Like a Pro. Grippy pedals help. For a starter bike I love the low maintenance Giant Momentum Vida Mid-step. Comfy and sturdy. This bike does what you are asking. The small frame has a smaller battery the large gets a large one.

Attachments

• TSDZ2B V-5.JPG
    TSDZ2B V-5.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 139
  • VidaMidstep3 (2).JPG
    VidaMidstep3 (2).JPG
    531.3 KB · Views: 158
  • VidaMidStep6.JPG
    VidaMidStep6.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 150
Those mainstream mid drives such as Bosch etc may not do 25mph on a hilly area depending on the grade and they are by no means an upgrade over your yamaha.
If you are ok with going slower just unlock your Yamaha and buy an additional battery, it will be the same.

Those diy options tdsz2 and photon look interesting though, they may have the required nominal output for you to keep those speeds.

Just another opinion, but the thought here is because a bike is capable of, say 28mph, does not certify it good for that kind of speed for 40 miles. You need to keep in mind the potential internal heat build up by a motor buried deep in that casing. For a plan like you're asking about, my focus would be a little research in that area (heat build up, what to expect).

When you start going over 20 things like wind resistance come into play. Also bodily damage in a crash and the chance of a crash.
1670781850869.png

What about the Rize RX. 160nm Mid-Drive with 2nd battery option. Currently on sale for $2699 + $599 xtra bat = $3200 Looks like a great bang for the buck

I’m looking to upgrade from a class 1 yamaha mid drive bike. I want more speed and range for longer trips for a hilly area. Looking for bikes with a front suspension, a torque-sensing mid-drive with 80+nm, and big battery capacity (or dual batteries). I’d like to be able to do 35-40 mile trips at 24-25mph (where safe). Don’t care about a throttle- I like pedaling and want some exercise.

This seems to fall into a bit of a gap in the market. Many of the bikes I can find which fit these specs are super-premium ones that come with unnecessarily expensive features like belt drives and enviolo hubs. I don’t mind maintaining a drivetrain and I want maximum efficiency.

The Gazelle Madeo T10+ seems like a potential option. What else closer to the $3500-$4k price range checks these boxes? Also considering DIY with a TSDZ2 or the Cyc photon when it comes out, but I care a lot about ALL weather reliability.

Medeo T10+ is probably the best bang for buck that checks all of your boxes. If you don't mind carrying the 2nd battery in a saddle bag the Diamondback Union is a good bang for buck option too.

@Maestrodenada first of all congratulations on a very clever screen name.

When you get off into edge use cases like this, with usage well beyond the kind of rider manufacturers build bikes for, it starts to be more and more of a good idea to DIY.
  1. Hills = Powerful mid drive or really strong DD hub (52v for either, probably)
  2. Top Speed = reinforces #1 above.
  3. Sustained Cruise Speed = biases you a bit over into hub territory.
  4. 80+Nm = Considering this with 1. and 3., you're now 100% mid drive unless you go all in on a powerful hub motor
  5. 35-40 Mile Range = couple this to 3. and you are well into custom territory. Particularly if 35-40 miles is the one-way radius.
  6. That range on city streets means your wrists will be a lot happier with at least an air fork on the front. Budget entries usually use a spring fork and they suck. Full suspension is better still - again not looking at a recreational ride here but a daily slog on uneven city streets.
I would build it. Bicycle Motorworks sells stock 52v batteries that will work for you, and he builds them custom to spec. I've got a 35ah one built to my needs going into my latest cargo bike build. A BBSHD is by far the reliability king here. 160 Nm gets you out of any jam, and reprogramming the drive via many available online resources de-fangs it so its a PAS-loving exercise machine that uses a fraction of its capability, giving you a trouble-free motor that hums along at 20-50% of its capacity ... forever. The latest parts are also water-resistant. During the recent CA rainstorms I used onewrap ties and bits of plastic sheeting to 200% waterproof my handlebar bits and displays, and I commuted thru the worst of it.

The Cyc Photon is very interesting but if you are going to rely on a bike, you want to pick a motor that has a proven track record and known easy aftermarket parts availability. Thats not anything sold by Cyc, who is very reliable as a single-source supplier but it takes at least a couple weeks to ship stuff to you from Asia.

Do it right and it won't be any cheaper, but your feature set will be fulfilled across the board without compromises.

Back