Looking for minimalist, "undercover" ebike?

Here is one bike that I made. I purchased it for $250 US and it sold in 36 hours before I finished the conversion. I am doing a house call in an hour to adjust the Nexus 8 hub. Having gear choices is very nice. Consider at least a three speed.
Sweet, that’s an older model Breezer Uptown, a well equipped town bike with hub dynamo lighting. I would have loved one of those but ended up buying the Dowtown model because I bought mine in 2018 after they had discontinued the Uptown.

I know. Yesterday I was gardening in shorts and a t-shirt. And for rides 'the hills are alive.' Here is her husband's minimalist ride. The battery goes in what looks like a water bottle cage. A friend opened her boss's glove box and asked, 'What's this?' It was an ice scraper. His bike has a 750W 90Nm cargo motor. To replace all the internal electronics is $65 and done the same day.
1676338236593.jpeg

Never heard of a bike lease...
Thats not uncommon for employers to provide as a service for their employees in the EU. My daughter and son-in-law live over there and my son-in-law had this as an available option from his employer. The employer gives the employee a price allowance and picks up the tab, subject to various terms. I'm sure there are many different kinds of offers from different employers.

Thats not uncommon for employers to provide as a service for their employees in the EU. My daughter and son-in-law live over there and my son-in-law had this as an available option from his employer. The employer gives the employee a price allowance and picks up the tab, subject to various terms. I'm sure there are many different kinds of offers from different employers.

Something like that, yeah. We pay for half the lease with either 5 holidays (of the 38 we get), or part of our end year bonus. How many days/ money depends on the price of the bike. The other half the company pays. You of course get all the benefits of a lease, full theft/ damage insurance, and 2 yearly maintenances. At the end of the lease you can either just give it back, or buy the bike for what it's still worth.

But as you said, this will differ from employer to employer.

Something like that, yeah. We pay for half the lease with either 5 holidays (of the 38 we get), or part of our end year bonus. How many days/ money depends on the price of the bike. The other half the company pays. You of course get all the benefits of a lease, full theft/ damage insurance, and 2 yearly maintenances. At the end of the lease you can either just give it back, or buy the bike for what it's still worth.

But as you said, this will differ from employer to employer.
Well then go for the Riese and Muller ;)

I've checked them out, but they are so, so ugly. Just not my thing at all.
Put a rack and fenders on this guy and you are a super commuter!

What you describe is an awesome benefit, and the employer gains by ensuring the employee has reliable to-work transportation. But here in the car-centric USA, with our spread-out distances and lack of cycling in the culture, it would not be much of a success.

In Belgium a Luna Fixed's limited power would work great so long as you can live with the limited range. But given where you are, a hub motor is plenty and would be much more reliable. I can remember putting my weight on the crankarms while starting up while on a lawn and the increased resistance caused the gears in the motor to strip a little. No harm done so guessing there is a clutch inside its Bofeili mid drive... or there was harm and I just never experienced consequences.

Your budget makes it tough to meet your goals given the kind of bike you want. The R&M is obviously a non starter for that reason, unfortunately.

IMG_20200604_155933 (1).jpg

What do you think about this bike? https://wilier.com/en/my2023/int/leisure-bikes/e-bikes/triestina-hybrid

It's certainly in a higher price range, but I can get it as a lease through work, so... very interesting. It doesn't have belt drive, but it certainly looks the part.
Wilier looks elegant, has the Mahle X35 hub-drive motor often used in lightweight e-bikes at the cost of low motor power and a smallish battery. I can see the chain/derailleur does not scare you off anymore, and the higher price might be acceptable.

Now Specialized Turbo Vado SL with a mid-drive motor and the battery bigger than it is in the X35 shouldn't scare you off either :)

Put a rack and fenders on this guy and you are a super commuter!

I don't know if you've read my original post, or... the title, but I'm looking for something minimalist/ not like an ebike 😅This would be the opposite of that

I don't know if you've read my original post, or... the title, but I'm looking for something minimalist/ not like an ebike 😅This would be the opposite of that
I just thought about that! Well, I like my Ride 1 up Gravelster. Single speed and pretty light for 1300 US. Hard to tell it is an ebike. Not sure how the shipping works to Europe...

Wilier looks elegant, has the Mahle X35 hub-drive motor often used in lightweight e-bikes at the cost of low motor power and a smallish battery. I can see the chain/derailleur does not scare you off anymore, and the higher price might be acceptable.

Now Specialized Turbo Vado SL with a mid-drive motor and the battery bigger than it is in the X35 shouldn't scare you off either :)

That specialized doesn't look half bad! And it's also available through lease at the company... Though if I'd have to choose the Wilier looks better :D But I'll keep it in mind.

I just thought about that! Well, I like my Ride 1 up Gravelster. Single speed and pretty light for 1300 US. Hard to tell it is an ebike. Not sure how the shipping works to Europe...

That's actually in my original post. I think it's a gorgeous bike! But the logistics and the added cost of getting it over here, not to mention regulatory because of it's speed... would be more headache then it's worth.

That specialized doesn't look half bad! And it's also available through lease at the company... Though if I'd have to choose the Wilier looks better :D But I'll keep it in mind.
Willier looks gorgeous!
Still, as I'm reading these Fora, I can see people seem to have more issues with X35 than with the Specialized SL and its warranty. By the way, do you live in the flat or hilly part of your country?

That's actually in my original post. I think it's a gorgeous bike! But the logistics and the added cost of getting it over here, not to mention regulatory because of it's speed... would be more headache then it's worth.
Whoops my bad. Missed your original post. Vive la Belg!! My GF is a Belgian citizen. She spent summers in Brussels. We are in So Cal USA. We do have a couple of good spots for mussels and frites!

Willier looks gorgeous!
Still, as I'm reading these Fora, I can see people seem to have more issues with X35 than with the Specialized SL and its warranty. By the way, do you live in the flat or hilly part of your country?
In the relatively flat part of the country, the northern bit. I have a couple of very small hills to do, but nothing major.

Whoops my bad. Missed your original post. Vive la Belg!! My GF is a Belgian citizen. She spent summers in Brussels. We are in So Cal USA. We do have a couple of good spots for mussels and frites!
Not a big fan of mussels myself. You should ask her about Stoofvlees. That together with fries... heaven.

Back