Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

We gave up waiting for the Vado SL 5.0 EQ which had been on order for 4 months. Multiple promised delivery dates came and went and then they weren’t even able to estimate when it might arrive.
No Specialized Delivery and online purchase for Australia?

My sister walked into a LBS in Calgary last week and purchased a new Vado 5 SL EQ. It was quite a shock to her that they actually had any stock left. Mind you it was a step through which she had her mind set on already.

This seems to be the only Vado SL available in Australia. It is an unusual combo - step-through in XL. When I bought mine last September, there were only 2 listed (non step-through) both size L, which was what I wanted. I don’t think any new ones have arrived in Australia in the last 6 months.
1F4C7964-E10B-40E0-8E47-30BB22C46AD3.jpeg

Last edited:
This has probably been covered in the forum but maybe there's a fresh take on it. On my bikes, I've always done routine chain maintenance by using one of those chain cleaning devices that clamps around the chain, then let it dry and relube it, etc. I've always done this by turning the cranks backwards for convenience and also that's the way those chain cleaning gizmos are designed to work. As we all know, you can't do this on the Specialized e-bikes, making this a more difficult chore, especially when the bike isn't on a workstand so that you could turn the cranks forward.

I did use a tip here at one time to use a heavy-duty zip-tie to secure the crank arm to the gear; this works, but I'm not sure if turning the internal components backwards is even a good idea. Another method would be to just remove the chain and clean it off the bike; I do this occasionally on my bikes, but will need a bigger supply of quick-links if I make it a habit.

So how are you all doing it?

I have the Park Tool scrubber with the reversible handle so you can pick which way the chain goes through the unit. Works fine, but I don't use it any longer. I live in a dry environment and switched to waxing the chain every 400 miles or so. It's amazing! There's no gunk buildup at all, so cleaning is just a matter of an occasional wipe with a dry rag at most. The chain runs quieter, and based on other people's experience, I'm expecting substantially longer drivetrain life as well.

I am probably a bad person, but I don't replace the quick link every time. Maybe every 2nd or 3rd time I take the chain off.

I don't think I've seen a 40t chainring around, I'd like to not buy some noname stuff and ruin the chain or something, and the often referenced RaceFace chainrings only go up to 38 it seems so I picked that.
I‘m such a noob.

The „fat“ (full power) Vado has a 40T chainring that fits like a charm.
Needs a new protective ring as well though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks everyone for the suggestions but I went with that now.

Test ride to follow, down with Cov19 at the moment. 😐

What for? Do you ride in loose trousers? I do not think so.

Besides, you can buy excellent, lightweight 104 BCD rings in any size from garbaruk.com
Nah, it protects the chain and ring though (I hope).

I got your suggestion about garbaruk a few pages earlier but can‘t remember why I didn‘t order from there in the end. Instead I tried a chainring off amazon which then required new screws and then there were no spacers and the protector didn‘t fit and I got fed up with the whole thing and sent it back. The Vado chainring is the same Praxis item only with 4 less teeth and I like that, it‘s subtle.

Now I just hope 40T will be enough for my needs.

Ronaan, trust me. The chain-guard is absolutely unnecessary.
Well in that case, 25€ saved.

I cleaned the bike today because there was a lot of dust from my first rides on it (plus the wife broomed the garage so all the dust was brought up and settled on my bike).

Here she is, in all her glory, and with the new pedals & 40T chainring.

Attachments

• IMG_5692.JPEG
    IMG_5692.JPEG
    987.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5693.JPEG
    IMG_5693.JPEG
    562.1 KB · Views: 196
I am probably a bad person, but I don't replace the quick link every time. Maybe every 2nd or 3rd time I take the chain off.
Most links are reusable with reason, but the KMC links that I just got for the 12-speed chain on my SL says specifically Non-Reusable, probably due to the thinner link plates.

Well in that case, 25€ saved.

I cleaned the bike today because there was a lot of dust from my first rides on it (plus the wife broomed the garage so all the dust was brought up and settled on my bike).

Here she is, in all her glory, and with the new pedals & 40T chainring.
Beautiful!

Vado/Creo/Levo SL folks, how do you shift? I've swapped my Vado for a Vado SL and unless I stop pedalling for a while (2 sec) before I shift, the motor kicks in immediately as I pedal and grinds the chain and sprockets. With my non-SL Vado, I was able to pause briefly (0.5s), shift, then start pedaling again without the motor grinding the drivetrain.

Last edited:
It sounds confusing, @coffeemaker. No difference in the shifting technique on both my Vado and Vado SL (a very brief pause in pedalling is required). I cannot answer your questions but other members perhaps could.

I only have 80km so far but I try to pedal „slower“ when shifting, seems to work so far.

(we used to stuff our shoelaces into the shoes back in the day to avoid them getting caught in the chain/ring)

I only have 80km so far but I try to pedal „slower“ when shifting, seems to work so far.
Ronaan, I'm very much interested to hear about your riding experience with Vado SL so far. How does it feel for you? What is the typical area/terrain you riding in?
I also encourage you to post in the David Berry's thread!

Back