Turbo Creo 2 Comp E5 (aluminum) is out, is a Vado SL 2 next?

Thanks @jabberwocky , Yes, I admit I haven't looked very hard re. a conversion because I figured then I'd have to find two things: first a road bike that fits me well and would be easy for someone to convert (technically); second, someone to do the conversion safely and correctly, plus any maintenance required going forward. That seems a big ask.

I definitely looked at Liv a few years ago and again recently and was surprised they didn't have any drop-bar ebike offerings. One thing, though, is that there are a few other e-road bikes out there that would probably fit me, but I want a Class 3 and won't compromise on that. Most of the ones other than those made by Specialized are Class 1. A couple of times I was sure I found a good option only to realize it was a Class 1 when I looked closer. That's just not going to work for me. If I'm spending this much money, I want it to be right for the kind of riding I do with my husband. If only he were a little slower! :D

My wife has a Liv Thrive, which is their version of the Giant Fastroad (which is Giants flat bar road ebike). She loves it. They did have an XS (my wife at 5'-5" rides the small). Not listed anymore. It is class 3.

Liv never had a version of the Revolt E+ or Road E+ when Giant had them. I would hope they do when/if Giant ever updates those models. But who knows if they will. I'm generally skeptical that "womens geometry" really needs to be a thing, but at least woman oriented brands like Liv tend to have smaller models available.

Yeah, @jabberwocky , I am not sure if women's geometry needs to be specific, but smaller sizes with shorter reach and standover need to happen. I looked seriously at the Thrive when I was first e-bike shopping, but that was during the pandemic, and there were no XS's to be had. Other than having flat bars, it was about the best choice at the time for me. I ended up with flat bars AND Class 1 in the Kona Dew-e DL, after convincing myself I could live with both. It's a wonderful bike, the size Small fits me (!!!!), and great for a utility steed, but neither the flat bars nor the Class 1 are what I want for the majority of my recreational riding. I had to compromise then because of the supply-chain problems, and now, anything but custom would again be a compromise. I think I'm done with that.

Just to close things out, since a lot of kind folks on this thread gave me advice and encouragement in my quest for an e-road bike, I wanted to let you all know that I decided to order the Zinn. It will look like the first bike on this page but with drop bars. And I'll probably have it a month before I could have gotten the Creo I didn't really want because of the Apex mechanical shifting and color. Also found out that the top tube on that one would probably be a little long for me, as the Zinn folks say my ideal top tube is 492 mm, based on the detailed measurements I sent them. My bike will have 650b wheels, which I also prefer to 700s, at my size. And 150 mm cranks! So, I am broke but happy. o_O:D

Thanks again for all the inputs a lot of helpful people provided, especially a shoutout to @jabberwocky !

The Creo 2 Comp E5 briefly showed as available to order. I picked one up for a winter bike. It comes with a SGS UL 2849 certified sticker which may have been the delay.

A Specialized dealer told me today that the Vado SL with the 1.2 is due very soon, likely in September.

FWIW Department: Having a Vado SL 5 EQ with the 1.1 motor arriving in days, called my Specialized dealer about this rumor. He looked up the specs on the only 2025 SL currently listed on the corporate site — the 4.0. Still shows the 1.1 motor.

FWIW Department: Having a Vado SL 5 EQ with the 1.1 motor arriving in days, called my Specialized dealer about this rumor. He looked up the specs on the only 2025 SL currently listed on the corporate site — the 4.0. Still shows the 1.1 motor.
Hard to say what's true. The dealer I talked to said he had a meeting yesterday with the inside rep who told him. They ordered 5 bikes. We'll see but I won't be surprised if it's the 1.1 but it doesn't make any sense from a manufacturing standpoint to offer both motors.

Hard to say what's true. The dealer I talked to said he had a meeting yesterday with the inside rep who told him. They ordered 5 bikes. We'll see but I won't be surprised if it's the 1.1 but it doesn't make any sense from a manufacturing standpoint to offer both motors.
Quite a conundrum. I'd be pretty pissed if I got a 1.1 at full price a month before the 1.2 came out — especially when my main reservation is climbing performance in my hilly area.

Of course, somebody's gonna get impaled on that cusp. Just hope it's not me.

I missed that. Would it be more accurately described as the dealer version of the site unless they have a lot of stores? I think they are sometimes treated like mushrooms too. My dealer was quite happy to have the business when I had it shipped to them. They can only see what's in stock for them to order and they frequently have to tell customers to order it themselves. I don't know anything about UL testing but it doesn't make sense to send old models to get tested but I came from airplanes where everything has to have a pedigree.

Last edited:
Quite a conundrum. I'd be pretty pissed if I got a 1.1 at full price a month before the 1.2 came out — especially when my main reservation is climbing performance in my hilly area.

Of course, somebody's gonna get impaled on that cusp. Just hope it's not me.

creo sl introduced july 2019
levo sl introduced feb 2020
vado sl introduced may 2020
kenevo sl introduced may 2021

levo sl 1.2 introduced may 2023
creo sl 1.2 introduced nov 2023

i think the only question is whether new vado sl comes out fall 2024 or early 2025. my sense from the lack of big sales on it (compared to almost all specialized bikes) is that it sold pretty well and was never as overstocked as some of the others. if that’s true they might try and milk it a bit longer. spring 2025 wouldn’t surprise me.

a friend recently got a very nice kenevo SL expert at literally half price, so maybe kenevo comes first, then vado?

I think the New York requirement for e-bikes to meet UL 2849 or similar certification, may drive some changes with other states/cities considering the same regulations. The Creo 2 E5 Comp is not that different from a current Vado SL. I expect with the market pressures the 1.2 motor Vado SL will probably have more in common with the E5 Comp next go around. Example the Vado SL has a fiddly integrated seat clamp where the E5 Comp just has a regular seat clamp. The integrated clamp has to add cost. My Creo Comp E5 has a curious decorative label "Creo SL" on the top tube by the seat post. They also seem to have slimmed down the Creo 2 line with a three models and the S-Works.

I see a new Creo2 SL Expert in limited sizes available this morning on Specialized website in a cool new bronze color, just in case you have an extra $9000 burning a hole in your pocket;)
I kind of like that color, but I do wonder if 'satin cooper' is a typo - looks a lot like satin copper to me.

The only spec change I see on the 2025 is they moved to 42c tires. Oddly, the listed weight is exactly the same despite the skinnier tires.

I know this thread is about Specialized Creo, but since I'd posted quite a few times on it and gotten some excellent advice and input, I did want to follow up. I took delivery of my new Zinn Tui ebike last week and took her out for the first ride on Friday. What a wonderful bike! It's going to take a little getting used to, as I've been riding a Kona Dew-e DL with flat handlebars and a more upright position and haven't ridden a drop-bar bike for a couple of years (except on the trainer). But hopefully this old body can adjust, and if not, I can go to a stem with a bit more rise. I was super concerned about standover with the Creo, which is why I ended up going this route...great standover on this bike for me!
BikeOnGarageDoorSmall.jpg

Back