SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

The Rockstar is already sold out.

Update: It May not be... I see different information on different sights.

Last edited:
By what sold it tells you that people really want front shocks, I think they need to redesign the cruiser for the second wave.

The Rockstar and the Cruiser are completely different bikes designed for different purposes. Riding on paved roads (primarily) does not necessarily require shocks. The Cruiser is there to fill a different need. So I'm not at all sure it is a mistake at all.

The tire methodology needs to be swapped between the Cruiser and LX. Had the LX tires been speced for a little thinner tires I would have bought one. Instead, I pulled the trigger on the Dost Kope bike, Sept delivery. 😁😁😁 Can't wait...

I know someone else brought it up in another thread, but I do not get the fascination with fat tires. Just about everyone who walks into my shop looking for a (used) bike is wanting a hybrid i.e. a bike with 700 x 35-40C tires. When we had a fat tire bike, most everyone would ask, "What is that for?" Yeah, a motor makes a fat bike more pedal-able, but I really think Sonders is missing the mark with yet another fat bike. Not saying there is not a market for them; obviously they sell judging by how many people here express an interest in one. But I know a lot more people would want an e-bike with regular tires. The vast majority of people are just going to ride on streets or bike paths, not in sand or snow.

I'm new to the E-Bike game but do have a Sondors X on order (can't beat the price)..

When I caught wind of the Rockstar (email) - oh yeah - def doing that! I also wanted to second what someone stated about the size/service of the company. I've always had great support from Sondors, and the value angel is there, I think. "Jury is still out," until I receive, but I really think I will be happy.. :)

I believe Sondors biz plan is narrow to near zero margins to expand market share as much as possible in this insanely competitive market, which inmo is SO SMART, given this niche of products. It worked for the largest e-tailer. :)

I "pulled the trigger" a couple days after they emailed me about the new mid drive Rockstar.

I originally wanted a mid drive with a lower price (Nireeka Prime, but not sure they exist). Having obviously found none that had solid cred, I ended up at a hub driven RAD 5 on order, but it just seemed too "old man" to me. I eventually cancelled it. Don't get me wrong I'm no youngster, but not ready for the home yet ;)

The Rockstar is already sold out.

Update: It May not be... I see different information on different sights.

The first wave appears to be sold out of Rockstar according to Sondors web site. I see new shipping date of January 2021 for next wave. The LX is listed as sold out. I also checked Cruiser and matte black color in that model is sold out.

I know someone else brought it up in another thread, but I do not get the fascination with fat tires. Just about everyone who walks into my shop looking for a (used) bike is wanting a hybrid i.e. a bike with 700 x 35-40C tires. When we had a fat tire bike, most everyone would ask, "What is that for?" Yeah, a motor makes a fat bike more pedal-able, but I really think Sonders is missing the mark with yet another fat bike. Not saying there is not a market for them; obviously they sell judging by how many people here express an interest in one. But I know a lot more people would want an e-bike with regular tires. The vast majority of people are just going to ride on streets or bike paths, not in sand or snow.
Depends on where you live. Here streets are very narrow and blind curves are just as common as regular ones on the side roads. There are few bike paths, usually little short things with a couple exceptions, but there are many more dirt trials, with sand and mud. I'd like 2.8-3", but has has been minted in the threads dedicated to this topic, many people like and ride FAT tire bikes, and I really like mine, and I have another bike with 1.95 tires so no worries. If you were unable to educate your customers, or there is not a demand for the product in your area, then you are not obliged to carry them. Sonders has plenty of other bikes, good to see they are just not releasing the same bike over and over.

Curious as to the Bafang Ultra rumor came from. It says it's a 750 watt motor and the Ultra from what I've seen looking around is $1000 or so by itself and throw in a pretty large battery and that doesn't leave much more on bikes in that price range.

Curious as to the Bafang Ultra rumor came from. It says it's a 750 watt motor and the Ultra from what I've seen looking around is $1000 or so by itself and throw in a pretty large battery and that doesn't leave much more on bikes in that price range.
Thus the skepticism...🤔

A magnesium Ultra is 775 from Luna. A regular one can be found cheaper. That is retail. I imagine it is in the 500-600 range for Sondors. battery cell prices have come down. I imagine that 21ah is no more than a 300 dollar battery for Sondors to have built in quantity. so lets just say 900 bucks for the battery and motor and it is probably less. A lot left. And the bikes are coming with OK components, but not premium. Storm is making money

Depends on where you live. Here streets are very narrow and blind curves are just as common as regular ones on the side roads. There are few bike paths, usually little short things with a couple exceptions, but there are many more dirt trials, with sand and mud. I'd like 2.8-3", but has has been minted in the threads dedicated to this topic, many people like and ride FAT tire bikes, and I really like mine, and I have another bike with 1.95 tires so no worries. If you were unable to educate your customers, or there is not a demand for the product in your area, then you are not obliged to carry them. Sonders has plenty of other bikes, good to see they are just not releasing the same bike over and over.
Totally agree. Fat bikes are one of the best all round bikes you can have. The go anywhere do anything bike. if you can only have one, it needs to be a fat bike.

A magnesium Ultra is 775 from Luna. A regular one can be found cheaper. That is retail. I imagine it is in the 500-600 range for Sondors. battery cell prices have come down. I imagine that 21ah is no more than a 300 dollar battery for Sondors to have built in quantity. so lets just say 900 bucks for the battery and motor and it is probably less. A lot left. And the bikes are coming with OK components, but not premium. Storm is making money
I have the LX on order so I hope the more power the better as long as they have a good chain as part of the package. I assume the components will pretty much be what's on their XS series bikes preferably with a little wider spread on the gearing.

I have the LX on order so I hope the more power the better as long as they have a good chain as part of the package. I assume the components will pretty much be what's on their XS series bikes preferably with a little wider spread on the gearing.
That seems to be the report so far, a freewheel bike. It would be nice to know the gear range. If it is the 14T 7 speed that comes on the other bikes, I will be replacing. Mid drives eat up the 11T and then it starts eating the chain which in turn wears other things. I ordered the LX as well. I may use the DNP 11-34 8 speed and adjust the limit setter to not use the 11T. Then I will have a 7 speed with a much better gear progression. and keep the same shifter To have speed and be able to climb is hard to do with freewheel bikes and mid drives. You can buy a new freehub wheel and get a wide range cassette or you can make your bike a 2 chainring mid drive. That will require a 104 BCD spyder adapter. it will be a manual shift. you can have a road gear and a trail/climbing gear. Your climbing gear will also be your ride without power gear. It will make the heavy beast easier to ride than you think. Rail trails, you can ride without power. You will not be a speed merchant, but it is easily doable.

Last edited:
That seems to be the report so far, a freewheel bike. It would be nice to know the gear range. If it is the 14T 7 speed that comes on the other bikes, I will be replacing. I would get the 11-34T 7 speed and just not use the 11T. Mid drives eat up the 11T and then it starts eating the chain which in turn wears other things. So I will have a 13-34 6 speed. I ordered the LX as well. Too have speed and be able to climb is hard to do with freewheel bikes and mid drives. You can buy a new freehub wheel and get a wide range cassette or you can make your bike a 2 chainring mid drive. That will require a 104 BCD spyder adapter. it will be a manual shift. you can have a road gear and a trail/climbing gear. Your climbing gear will also be your ride without power gear. It will make the heavy beast easier to ride than you think. Rail trails, you can ride without power. You will not be a speed merchant, but it is easily doable.
I got a Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 3 months ago when they were on sale $532 off plus a $532.50 rebate card which I used for a down payment on the Sondors LX. My Vado has a 40T chain ring which is 8 smaller than on the Vado 5.0 with a little more power. The Vado has a 11-42 range and with my 40T chain ring I am in high gear on anything near level ground so I'm sure that 11t is going to get replaced often. I did buy a 46T and a longer chain but haven't put them on yet, of course Specialized has to have a unique set up so it's not a complete easy bolt up.

One fairly credible source is

https://electrek.co/2020/06/23/sondors-rockstar-cruiser-lx-bafang-ultra-electric-bike/

Whatever your opinion of Sondors and his eponymous company and its peculiar history, there is no denying that he’s sold a lot of bikes. Thus he has economy of scale component pricing power only a few with the same direct to consumer Chinese factory business model have achieved.

It also doesn’t hurt that either he himself or someone on his team has a flair for industrial design with all his models, including the new mid drives, having a uniquely recognizable look to them. Apparently several people own several, buying as the models evolve, so their families can all ride together.

I have an LX “aventador” (apparently named after the mid engine'd Lamborghini) on order for its belt drive ready R & M Nevo clone frame and gigantic fat tires for riding through Minnesota snow drifts.

One fairly credible source is

https://electrek.co/2020/06/23/sondors-rockstar-cruiser-lx-bafang-ultra-electric-bike/

Whatever your opinion of Sondors and his eponymous company and its peculiar history, there is no denying that he’s sold a lot of bikes. Thus he has economy of scale component pricing power only a few with the same direct to consumer Chinese factory business model have achieved.

It also doesn’t hurt that either he himself or someone on his team has a flair for industrial design with all his models, including the new mid drives, having a uniquely recognizable look to them. Apparently several people own several, buying as the models evolve, so their families can all ride together.

I have an LX “aventador” (apparently named after the mid engine'd Lamborghini) on order for its belt drive ready R & M Nevo clone frame and gigantic fat tires for riding through Minnesota snow drifts.

Snow drifts??? I don't even ride in the rain. 😆

Back