SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

I own a Sondors Fold XS it's the cheapest 20" best fold-able Ebike in the market dollar for dollar at $1699.00. Their high end models for anything they sell is like that, anybody who ordered this in advance I would say be confident you are getting a good Ebike. Sondors has sold over 50,000 Ebikes in 5 years, they know what they are doing.

For example The LX is only $500 more than the RadRover, $500 is nothing in the Ebike world, to move up to that mid-drive motor alone is worth it.

Last edited:
Vaporware? If this was a Kickstarter thing I might agree with that comment, but it's not. As for components, look at the MXS model that some are now getting. Appears to be mostly Shimano parts. Are they top-of-the-line parts, no, and I wouldn't expect them to be given the bike pricing, but they are brand name stuff.
I think you're misunderstanding what Sondors models I'm referencing. I'm talking about the newly announced models - Rockstar, Cruiser, and LX.

For example, below is the spec sheet for Sondors Cruiser, which doesn't tell me all that much about the bike. Yes, I think it's "vaporware" at this point.
1593703044816.png

@byunbee

I know what you are saying, but if you look at the Sondors MXS they are selling which is a hardtail Emtb for $1699.00 it gives you an idea.

• Motor 750 Watt
  • Controllor 25 Amp
  • Battery48V 17.5Ah Li-ion battery with Panasonic® cells
  • Range40-60 miles*
  • SpeedUp to 20 mph
  • ChargingIncludes 3A Smart Charger Included
  • ThrottleThumb
  • BrakesHydraulic with 180mm discs
  • SuspensionSeat post and adjustable front fork AirShocks
  • WheelsAluminum rims, front hub with sealed bearings
  • Crank SetPremium 48T
  • Pedal Assist Sensor12 magnet
  • Gears7-speed with grip shifter
  • SeatPremium ergonomic gel
  • HandlebarsPremium ergonomic
  • KickstandHeavy-duty
  • Color LCD DisplayIncludes USB port and five levels of pedal assist, battery level, speed, distance traveled, etc.
  • FrameAluminum
  • TiresMaxxis® 27.5 x 3.0"
  • Total Weight65 lbs
  • Standover Height30.5"”
  • Load Capacity300 lbs

The upgrade to this is the new Rockstar for $2499, for only $800 more, the motor is undoubtedly the biggest part of the cost upgrades.

I own a Sondors Fold XS it's the cheapest 20" best fold-able Ebike in the market dollar for dollar at $1699.00. Their high end models for anything they sell is like that, anybody who ordered this in advance I would say be confident you are getting a good Ebike. Sondors has sold over 50,000 Ebikes in 5 years, they know what they are doing.

For example The LX is only $500 more than the RadRover, $500 is nothing in the Ebike world, to move up to that mid-drive motor alone is worth it.
I don't know about 'it's the cheapest 20" best fold-able Ebike in the market dollar for dollar at $1699.00.', I think I have to hand that award to the Lectric XP.

Not that the XP would satisfy me, but dollar-for-dollar it's the leader I think. Even before the Fold-XS, I think the award would go to the Fold-X", but I think the XP wins because of the rack and fenders in the package, as well as specified as 28 mph capable (adjusted for 20mph from factory).

The problem is adding extras can get expensive fast, so if the XP does not meet your needs it could get expensive fast as you add accessories. So to me I like the Fold-XS better, but even that one I would need to add $200 for the rack and fenders. Now we are looking at something like $800-$900 over the XP depending on the deal you get on the XP, maybe $1k. I would actually like to use my own rack and their fenders if buying the XP, but that is not an option it seems :( The biggest issues 'for me' on the XP are the small battery and the lack of the front suspension fork.

I'm not sure if you can make the Fold-XS a Class 3 bike, but that would be an issue for me as well.

Did your Fold-XS come with a thumb throttle or twist throttle? Their website says something totally stupid like "100% electric ride" for the throttle description which means s*it.

Last edited:
I don't know about 'it's the cheapest 20" best fold-able Ebike in the market dollar for dollar at $1699.00.', I think I have to hand that award to the Lectric XP.

Not that the XP would satisfy me, but dollar-for-dollar it's the leader I think. Even before the Fold-XS, I think the award would go to the Fold-X", but I think the XP wins because of the rack and fenders in the package, as well as specified as 28 mph capable (adjusted for 20mph from factory).

The problem is adding extras can get expensive fast, so if the XP does not meet your needs it could get expensive fast as you add accessories. So to me I like the Fold-XS better, but even that one I would need to add $200 for the rack and fenders. Now we are looking at something like $800-$900 over the XP depending on the deal you get on the XP, maybe $1k. I would actually like to use my own rack and their fenders if buying the XP, but that is not an option it seems :(

I'm not sure if you can make the Fold-XS a Class 3 bike, but that would be an issue for me as well.

Did your Fold-XS come with a thumb throttle or twist throttle? Their website says something totally stupid like "100% electric ride" for the throttle description which means s*it.

It has a thumb throttle, the Lectric doesn't even have front shocks, but it is like $700 cheaper, but some things are a deal killer for me and front shocks are one for me, wrist shock is a real thing when you ride longer and you want to minimize it.

Here is a good review of my exact bike even the color, their Fold X takes out all the ups and is more inline with the Lectric for price at $999, he actually mentions it right at the end of this review, I also agree with his positives and negatives for this bike, it is a candid review that can be trusted, and I say this as a owner of this Ebike.

The problem is adding extras can get expensive fast, so if the XP does not meet your needs it could get expensive fast as you add accessories. So to me I like the Fold-XS better, but even that one I would need to add $200 for the rack and fenders. Now we are looking at something like $800-$900 over the XP depending on the deal you get on the XP, maybe $1k. I would actually like to use my own rack and their fenders if buying the XP, but that is not an option it seems :( The biggest issues 'for me' on the XP are the small battery and the lack of the front suspension fork.

Not sure why you are attacking Sondors. People have clearly reported more problems with Lectric bikes than Sondors. You want fenders and a rack, great. Does that make one bike "better" than another? And is this thread about folders? I don't think so. It's about mid-drives. So why are you going on about comparing folders is beyond me. And you don't own either bike!!! Sounds a bit trollish. Please stay on topic.

Sonders history has been a good one regarding the delivery of excellent value for the price. Are they the best bikes out there, no. Are they decent quality? Yes!!!

I am waiting for a few more details and some actual photos, not renderings. Both the LX and the Cruiser are of great interest to me. And at this price point (if Sondors maintains its quality) these bikes are a fantastic deal.

It has a thumb throttle, the Lectric doesn't even have front shocks, but it is like $700 cheaper, but some things are a deal killer for me and front shocks are one for me, wrist shock is a real thing when you ride longer and you want to minimize it.

Here is a good review of my exact bike even the color, their Fold X takes out all the ups and is more inline with the Lectric for price at $999, he actually mentions it right at the end of this review, I also agree with his positives and negatives for this bike, it is a candid review that can be trusted, and I say this as a owner of this Ebike.

This thread is NOT about folders!

Not sure why you are attacking Sondors. People have clearly reported more problems with Lectric bikes than Sondors. You want fenders and a rack, great. Does that make one bike "better" than another? And is this thread about folders? I don't think so. It's about mid-drives. So why are you going on about comparing folders is beyond me. And you don't own either bike!!! Sounds a bit trollish. Please stay on topic.

Sonders history has been a good one regarding the delivery of excellent value for the price. Are they the best bikes out there, no. Are they decent quality? Yes!!!

I am waiting for a few more details and some actual photos, not renderings. Both the LX and the Cruiser are of great interest to me. And at this price point (if Sondors maintains its quality) these bikes are a fantastic deal.
Not sure why you think I'm attacking Sonders. I think you need to re-read some stuff. We were discussing the attributes for the best "dollar-for-dollar award". I only criticized their description on the website for the throttle, maybe you think that is a good description, maybe you need a nap or a a ride in the fresh air.

I happen to really like them, and I'm very close to putting my name in for a Rockstar.

@byunbee

I know what you are saying, but if you look at the Sondors MXS they are selling which is a hardtail Emtb for $1699.00 it gives you an idea.

• Motor 750 Watt
  • Controllor 25 Amp
  • Battery48V 17.5Ah Li-ion battery with Panasonic® cells
  • Range40-60 miles*
  • SpeedUp to 20 mph
  • ChargingIncludes 3A Smart Charger Included
  • ThrottleThumb
  • BrakesHydraulic with 180mm discs
  • SuspensionSeat post and adjustable front fork AirShocks
  • WheelsAluminum rims, front hub with sealed bearings
  • Crank SetPremium 48T
  • Pedal Assist Sensor12 magnet
  • Gears7-speed with grip shifter
  • SeatPremium ergonomic gel
  • HandlebarsPremium ergonomic
  • KickstandHeavy-duty
  • Color LCD DisplayIncludes USB port and five levels of pedal assist, battery level, speed, distance traveled, etc.
  • FrameAluminum
  • TiresMaxxis® 27.5 x 3.0"
  • Total Weight65 lbs
  • Standover Height30.5"”
  • Load Capacity300 lbs

The upgrade to this is the new Rockstar for $2499, for only $800 more, the motor is undoubtedly the biggest part of the cost upgrades.

Below are some examples of what I expect when I look at specifications for a bike. Component list with brand AND model used. Sondors doesn't offer specifics.

Watt Wagons
1593707491708.png

Haibike
1593707133786.png

Giant
1593707207070.png

Bulls
1593707282840.png

I think you're misunderstanding what Sondors models I'm referencing. I'm talking about the newly announced models - Rockstar, Cruiser, and LX.

No I wasn't. I was just trying to say if you put 2 and 2 together it's easy to surmise based on the components they put on their other bikes, like the MXS, that one could expect similar on the mid drives.

Below are some examples of what I expect when I look at specifications for a bike. Component list with brand AND model used. Sondors doesn't offer specifics.

Watt Wagons
View attachment 57534

Haibike
View attachment 57529

Giant
View attachment 57530

Bulls
View attachment 57532
I won't argue with you when it comes to specifics, it would be nice. Using the word 'premium' to describe components is pretty vague and I shouldn't have to figure it out by looking at close-up photos, but the bottom line is that they don't use crap no-name stuff.

Like I said, I'm not trying imply that their bikes are bad. But given the combination of the Bafang Ultra, large battery, and suspension along with sleek design, it is something that would be difficult to pull off price-wise. Thus, the skepticism and recommendation to hold off until more information is available. I hope they succeed in delivering on these bikes with quality and reliability. If so, I likely would stand in line to buy one.

Watt Wagons
View attachment 57534

Haibike
View attachment 57529

Giant
View attachment 57530

Bulls
View attachment 57532

It's true name branded components are nice to see, it also seems to make the Ebikes generally three times more expensive. I am familiar with Watt Wagon I post in that forum as well, all those components are massively upgraded compared to the Sondors, the Ebikes are not in the same category. One caters to the high end of the industry the other to the lower end and they both have a place, my next Ebike might be Watt Wagon.
But I feel the Sondors is a good entry level Ebike, just like buying your very first car, most people don't spend as much, they are a gateway brand to the better brands like those you posted above. New buyers just coming into the market shouldn't be scared off.

Last edited:
I would have ZERO hesitation pre-ordering one of these bikes if I was in the market for an inexpensive powerful mid-drive. Who cares what the final component spec will be? We know it won't be top shelf but we also know the kind of stuff they have put in their bikes and it will be good enough. The only place I think they missed the mark here is not offering a comfort cruiser with a front suspension. Makes no sense that the LX has front suspension with fat tires (why?) but the cruiser with thinner (albeit plus size) tires does not. If anything they should have flipped those.

I understand the skepticism on the new Sondors Rockstar... here's what Micah Toll had to say in his recent review on Electrek.

There are only two things that give me pause here:
1) we have no idea whether they are putting decent suspension or bargain-basement springs on the bike, and
2) they are neutering the 1.5 kW by around 25% of its power.

For the first, we’ll just have to wait and see what kind of shocks Sondors will give us at these prices. For the second, this could be an effort to make the drivetrain components last longer, or it could signify a weaker battery that can’t handle the peak power of the Bafang Ultra motor. Again, we’ll have to wait and see.

For now though, I’m quite impressed with what I’m looking at. Sondors has always made big promises, and this new announcement is no different in that regard. What is different is that Sondors is now stepping out of the value-oriented e-bike space and appears to be edging dangerously close to the premium category of e-bikes.

It's not a weaker battery and we know the ultra can be dialed down, Watt Wagon has all those options just starting with that configuration as the base, although their ultra has a much better controller the very best in the industry. It's $1300 all by itself.
Watt Wagon Ultra

So they are also "neutering" the motor by design, but they also have 3000W peak version. This is commonly done, and it means the motor should last much longer in that setting(750), and maybe you won't break as many chains.

I'm always skeptical when Sondors start posting computer renderings as a new release. I bet these will have a long delivery time. With no cables or hoses showing on the handlebars, this surely isn't a prototype. Thankful they took that 3 wheeled vehicle off the scope and getting back to better bikes.

Wow, Yeah I need a "Hose" on My bike............. 🤣

I ride 95% paved roads, so this is not a big deal for me. Many top line bikes do not have front suspension, e.g., step through Como. Plus, I can add a Kinnex to smooth out the ride.

I am in a heated debate (with myself) between the Stunner X and the Cruiser. I was concerned about the lack of front suspension on the cruiser as I want to ride both streets and bike paths. I live in a somewhat hilly area. Am I over-thinking this?

Back