SONDORS is releasing it's first mid-drive EBikes.

Same name though. Seems they initially wanted to develop a lighter / higher end eMTB but it morphed into something more suited to their target market.

oh ok well the Ultra is superior motor anyways

I would agree depending on use. For a nimble eMTB the lower weight of the M600 might be a better choice paired with a smaller battery. The M600 is roughly 7 pounds lighter than the Ultra, but when you throw on a heavy 1000wh battery you're pushing closer to 60 pounds, so maybe that's why then went with the Ultra for the extra power to offset the weight.

oh I didn't realize that it was 7 lbs heavier.. that's quite a bit

Nothing PAS2 can't compensate for, the bikes total weight is 65 lbs, which is average for Ebikes in this price point, Rad Rover is 67 lbs. the VoltBike Yukon is 68 lbs. and they have rear hub drives.

If you are really concerned about weight on a Ebike for lifting reasons get a carbon fiber bike like this Carbon Fiber Ebike at double the price $4K and just under 40lbs.
But if you think the ultra has a problem driving a 65 lb bike and it's rider, they don't, these have been heavily reviewed in the past.

Last edited:
That's a completely different bike and looks like with top end components like Fox shocks.
That is one thing which is preventing me from putting down a $299 deposit on the Rockstar. Even Micah's article refers to the fact that we really don't know the spec of these new bikes. One pic on the Sondors web site shows the model with some higher end components, which I fear are not on the actual bikes they will deliver:

Rockstar-Image.png

This actually seems to be the closest thing to a photo of the bike as it shows things like cables and a speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel, while the other 'renderings' do not. But alas, it is likely just a test mule and the production bikes will not have the DT Swiss wheels or what appears to be a Rock Shox rear damper, etc.

Guess I'll wait a little while to see what really drops from Sondors.

Well either other companies are way overcharging on these parts or Sondors got an amazing bulk buy, I wonder what their projections for sales on these will be, seems like they are always running out of stock on their other units for example my FOLD XS they are taking orders for August shipment, they are always about 2 months behind. And that's how it was last year too, no stock.
They probably only order one container at a time that seems to hit the best pricing and not going to crazy with inventory.

Well either other companies are way overcharging on these parts or Sondors got an amazing bulk buy, I wonder what their projections for sales on these will be, seems like they are always running out of stock on their other units for example my FOLD XS they are taking orders for August shipment, they are always about 2 months behind. And that's how it was last year too, no stock.
They probably only order one container at a time that seems to hit the best pricing and not going to crazy with inventory.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Cruiser. October (or later) delivery is fine with me. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: TMH
I am not sure why the Cruiser is the same price as the LX. Would seem to me the price should be lower for the Cruiser (or higher for the LX with front suspension). Also, without fat tires I would be hesitant to buy the Cruiser (without front suspension). Perhaps 3" tires might be cushy enough on the Cruiser, but I think that's one area Sondors made a questionable choice.

I am not sure why the Cruiser is the same price as the LX. Would seem to me the price should be lower for the Cruiser (or higher for the LX with front suspension). Also, without fat tires I would be hesitant to buy the Cruiser (without front suspension). Perhaps 3" tires might be cushy enough on the Cruiser, but I think that's one area Sondors made a questionable choice.

I ride 95% paved roads, so this is not a big deal for me. Many top line bikes do not have front suspension, e.g., step through Como. Plus, I can add a Kinnex to smooth out the ride.

Last edited:
They are "neutering" it by 25% (from 1000W to 750W nominal) to make it street legal. Sondors is a big company and they probably don't want the liability. I don't know why that would give Micah pause.
NEVER heard anyone call Sondors a big company. About a year ago they didn't even have a customer service department to help people with technical issues. They referred customers to the Facebook owner's page for that. They still monitor that page and use it in company business. They don't even own nor moderate it. Big company, that's hilarious!

NEVER heard anyone call Sondors a big company. About a year ago they didn't even have a customer service department to help people with technical issues. They referred customers to the Facebook owner's page for that. They still monitor that page and use it in company business. They don't even own nor moderate it. Big company, that's hilarious!
Hmmmm.....
Last year, I emailed them they responded, I phoned them they picked up right away, I also quick chatted with them right on their website, I purchased one of their Ebikes and have had no issues.
All the staff was friendly with me before and after the sale. Sondors has sold about 50,000 Ebikes in 5 years they are no Specialized or Trek but that isn't their market, they are in the Rad Power/Juiced/Volt Bike Ebikes segment of the market.

And from their website
Currently the largest electric bike distributor in the United States, SONDORS Electric Bikes have been sold in 42 countries worldwide.
Seems Electrek was right after all

I'm tempted to try the Rockstar to have a full suspension bike, and a mid drive that is good for testing different controllers while I wait for my dream bike.

I was watching a video today of an Ebike shop owner who was testing a bike with a 120nm motor(The TQ)
He had an overlapped screen showing the speed and grade, he climbed a very rocky 36% graded hill, he said Bosch, Brose, Yamaha virtually every bike he sells could not make it up that hill.....that's what 120nm plus torque gets you.
The Sondors mid-drive motor is rated at 160nm.
It's a hill crusher.
Interestingly he also said at least 3" wheels are needed for proper grip doing that, as slippage starts to happen at that high grade, the power is there but now it becomes a traction issue.

I was watching a video today of an Ebike shop owner who was testing a bike with a 120nm motor(The TQ)
He had an overlapped screen showing the speed and grade, he climbed a very rocky 36% graded hill, he said Bosch, Brose, Yamaha virtually every bike he sells could not make it up that hill.....that's what 120nm plus torque gets you.
The Sondors mid-drive motor is rated at 160nm.
It's a hill crusher.
Interestingly he also said at least 3" wheels are needed for proper grip doing that, as slippage starts to happen at that high grade, the power is there but now it becomes a traction issue.

can you link that video?

Rockstar-Image.png

This actually seems to be the closest thing to a photo of the bike as it shows things like cables and a speed sensor magnet on the rear wheel, while the other 'renderings' do not. But alas, it is likely just a test mule and the production bikes will not have the DT Swiss wheels or what appears to be a Rock Shox rear damper, etc.

Guess I'll wait a little while to see what really drops from Sondors.
[/QUOTE]
A lot of their release pictures are computer renderings. No hoses or cables coming from the handlebars and even the shadows on the renderings are off. They did the same thing with their
Hmmmm.....
Last year, I emailed them they responded, I phoned them they picked up right away, I also quick chatted with them right on their website, I purchased one of their Ebikes and have had no issues.
All the staff was friendly with me before and after the sale. Sondors has sold about 50,000 Ebikes in 5 years they are no Specialized or Trek but that isn't their market, they are in the Rad Power/Juiced/Volt Bike Ebikes segment of the market.

And from their website
Currently the largest electric bike distributor in the United States, SONDORS Electric Bikes have been sold in 42 countries worldwide.
Seems Electrek was right after all
I owned 2, 2015 Sondors fat bikes and just sold them this year. When I had a motor failure at 1,600 miles, I mailed it to a guy that worked on it in his apartment. He was supplied by Sondors with parts to do that. As I said when they didn't have a customer service department, they directed owners to that Facebook page. People came on the page and assumed it was run by Sondors because any technical company contact was directed there. It worked, but Sondors made no effort to tell people they had no technical support. Taking a box out of sea container and slapping a shipping sticker on it makes them the large distributor. It does not make them a large ebike company in my book. Glad you like them. I won't be ordering one of these. I read all the early issues with their other bikes on the Facebook owners page, to intimidating for me. Buying those $500 fat bikes was an easy decision, not so much with this price point.

Last edited:
I owned 2, 2015 Sondors fat bikes and just sold them this year. When I had a motor failure at 1,600 miles, I mailed it to a guy that worked on it in his apartment. He was supplied by Sondors with parts to do that. As I said when they didn't have a customer service department, they directed owners to that Facebook page. People came on the page and assumed it was run by Sondors because any technical company contact was directed there. It worked, but Sondors made no effort to tell people they had no technical support. Taking a box out of sea container and slapping a shipping sticker on it makes them the large distributor. It does not make them a large ebike company in my book. Glad you like them. I won't be ordering one of these. I read all the early issues with their other bikes on the Facebook owners page, to intimidating for me. Buying those $500 fat bikes was an easy decision, not so much with this price point.
Sorry you had issues with your Sondors, but 2015 Ebikes where basically their Beta Ebikes, new companies are learning all the time, look at Watt Wagon they are just a year old yet they have made huge strides in R & D in just one year they are tiny but growing with an excellent product. I know at some point I will sell my Sondors as well to upgrade to something with more torque, but I really feel they are a great entry level Ebike to start off with.

I think Sondors already increase their quality and Customer Service (they are still far from perfect tough). Personally I would buy an e-bike at concept stage if price is below 1000$. For this e-bike even its very tempting, I would be more careful and wait to see more real photos and videos rather than renders. The bike you see and you will get can be very different and manufacturer has right to make changes on specifications on the e-bike.

I think Sondors already increase their quality and Customer Service (they are still far from perfect tough). Personally I would buy an e-bike at concept stage if price is below 1000$. For this e-bike even its very tempting, I would be more careful and wait to see more real photos and videos rather than renders. The bike you see and you will get can be very different and manufacturer has right to make changes on specifications on the e-bike.

But I want it NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!😝😝😝

They could turn out to be pretty good bikes. Kinda like how the first Hyundai automobiles were junk but now are right up there in quality with the more famous Japanese brands. I guess we shall see.

Back