Slow shift into highest gear and jumping a tooth with hard pedal

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
Have these two issues with Explorer E +2. Took into shop for adjustment, but both probs still occurring. When shifting, I am not pedaling hard, but back off to let shift happen. Nothing occurs till about a dozen pedal rotations, then it finally slips into highest gear. Will be taking back to shop, but wondering if others have similar probs.

You already asked about this in your other thread. And we even told you how to adjust it, but you didn't want to.
This is caused by the distance between the upper roller of your derailleur - the guide roller - and your cassette gears.

I had the same thing going on...did some research, found out the cause, adjusted my derailleur, and voile! Shifts like butter. 👍

How do you like the bike otherwise?

Oh thanks Browneye, senility popping in to visit. I guess I am a bit frustrated because I took bike in and techs did not address. Overall, the bike is a dream. Prior to purchasing, I had clocked thousands of kms on various bikes over the years. I also mentioned earlier I live on Vancouver Island where you do not peddle far before encountering another hill. The ups not the downs were beginning to take some of the fun out of my daily routine. When I test drove my first ebike I felt transformed. The ease with which I was able to ascend hills that formally daunted me was astounding. The Giant Explorer, mainly due to its ergonomics, fit and finish ended up to be my choice. I have no regrets after 1800 kms. The issues I described, now apparently for the second time are not major. I am slightly disappointed in the shop because the issues were not rectified, but I shall persist. I now recall telling you I am hesitant to fiddle with the derailleur. It why the techs are there and for the cash Iaid out for this marvellous bike, I expect them to make it right and I am quite certain they will. All in all, this bike does it for me and will carry me into my 80's very shortly.

I guess I am a bit frustrated because I took bike in and techs did not address.

I've had a similar experience. I'd take the bike in and it shifted no different when it was returned. And more than one LBS.

Since then I learned how to do my own adjustments. It takes a bit of practice, but this video from Park Tools will walk you through the steps.

Thx Stan, will take a look and see if I can overcome my delrailleurophobia.

Some of us old shade-tree monkeys loath to let anyone work on our stuff. I was probly the only guy that changed his own oil on a brand new Mercedes Benz. 🤣
I have plenty of dealer horror stories. APLENTY!!

Kudos to stanmiller for the excellent video on rear derailleur by Park Tools. Oh, not too complicated after all, I actually understood much of it.

OK guys, I watched the entire derailleur training video. I hate to admit this, but I think I would rather do heart surgery. It is way beyond my rudimentary, no, let's day neophyte skills. I visualize turning my multi speed bike into a coaster. I will go back to the bike surgeons and hope they can make a better correction. Thank you Stan for the attempt to help me in my distress. I won't thank you for exposing me as a "rider in name only". This is still a great website.

Good vid. And if it's still making a lot of noise you bought really crappy components. 🤣

The Explore has Shimano Deore - which is a basic mountain-bike shifter of reasonably good quality. I understand the higher end bikes get SRAM shifters, and lots of cassette rings.

On our ROLL, the 'B' screw doesn't adjust enough - the friction mount for the derailleur can be turned out enough to increase some gap. It may well be that the chain is too long now. With the hub-drive conversion it got a new cassette as well.

Kind of a 73 yo NEWBIE! Sorry don't recognize the terms. Hot rods engines I am a DIY guy. Slowing way down and bought a a LAFREE. Love it! Hilly neighborhood. TWICE The chain has jumped front sprocket. 1st was second day owned in drive way . No issue just went back little effort. COUPLE months maybe 150 miles. This time on a up hill pedal hard but I think I did let up. Chain jumped front stuck. I don't want to brake ANYTHING. Shop is closed day after Christmas and I'm headed south tomorrow. Any suggestions? And thanks. Paul

As I understand it, on some of those you have to remove the chain guard to fish the chain out. Wish I could help more.
I'm not aware this is a common problem for the sync-drive, to lose the chain off the front sprocket. I have not had that happen, and I don't have a chain guard.

As I understand it, on some of those you have to remove the chain guard to fish the chain out. Wish I could help more.
I'm not aware this is a common problem for the sync-drive, to lose the chain off the front sprocket. I have not had that happen, and I don't have a chain guard.
Thanks I got brave .after turning up on seat and handle bars .I found the master link. Opened and pulled chain out. CLEANED Reinstalled. All is well. Just did 9 miles in hills.

Back