That is so cool! It is mid-century si-fi, mad scientist.
View attachment 126046
Lol! Used (much smaller) 'scopes at my last job, not as primary job but occasionally as was working on combination hardware/software 'stuff.'
The one I have is close to what I used in the military, but the (lol, NOT so light!) 'portable' model. Close to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144540618621?
The newer stuff is cool, lets you record and playback among other things and higher frequencies, etc.

s-l1600-4.jpg

These are becoming hard to find, with coat hangers now being mostly plastic.
View attachment 136683

It's my chain buddy. Lets me install a master link pretty quick.
View attachment 136685
Since I can't find wire coat hangers anymore, I keep a supply of copper clad steel brazing rod on hand. It comes in many diameters, is a bit stronger than coat hanger wire, and won't corrode.

I usually pick up 36" lengths at the local welding supply shop but it's also available on line.

You have to pay for it though. Coat hangers used to be free with the dry cleaning.

I call them chain-hooks because I don't know better. I make them from spokes. I put a V in the middle as something to hold on to and make space for working, and I put hooks on each end. It is easiest to put on a chain with a bike upside down. Just pull up the tensioner and the chain drops down under its own weight between the jockey wheels.

New tools for the new bike build that is On The Way:

IMG_0650.jpg

Left: Runwell 4-way Wrench
Right: Pedro's RX Micro with Pedro's Micro Tire Levers

New build has a belt drive so I don't need all of the chain stuff that my other multi-tool has. If I have a spoke wrench I am at the same place as I was with the Blackburn Wayside with half the weight.

The Pedro's RX Micro has a long reach for a small multi-tool. The Runwell is for the thru-axle, saddle bolts, and adjusting belt tension and substitutes for full-size hex keys that I'd probably carry. The Runwell will look proper when I wrap the handle with tape.

We have found, while kayak-camping on remote beaches, that Dawn works beautifully as a shampoo, even in salt water.. Much better than so-called salt water shampoos from the camping store.

My ex tried a salt water shampoo one time, and it turned her hair to felt. One of the reasons she is the "Ex" (she blamed me).
Dawn is a miracle substance.

When a male+female couple shows up for a marriage license, the male should have to pass this test:

If a man speaks in a forest, and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

What should he say, yes or no?

My mom turned me on to Dawn in the 70's or 80's. Early on in my current relationship, my girlfriend came home with the store brand blue dish soap. That was the last time. I like the new Dawn upside down bottles.

Wolf Tooth chain tool

Installs/removes master link, carries 2 master links, removes valve cores, has built in tire lever, CNC machined aluminum, fits anywhere, weighs nothing, made in USA
I've got Wolf Tooth 8-bit, which is with me on every ride.

The chain tool/link storage is great, but as a dedicated allen key/screwdriver replacement, the design does make some points more awkward than a traditional key.

On a touring ride away from civilization, I'd pack proper allen keys as well.
1673797881746.png

Always watch out for multi tools that look really cool but have a very short reach. A lot of bolts are in locations where you need a centimeter or more of reach to actually get at the bolt to tighten it or adjust it.

It is good to take the time with a new multi tool to find out what locations on your bike it cannot get to and bring some other alternative (maybe just a hex key). I also bring hex keys (or some alternative tool with more reach and leverage) for bolts I am likely to mess with a lot.

Back