I read the description of the park brand. Anybody else use this chain cleaning tools?
I just use a spray bottle with suds and rinse with a low pressure garden sprayer. I do have a new tool of sorts to post. It is a custom bungee for bikes. I took a 12 foot length and whipped the center and ends with 1/4 inch shrink tube. The center cinches around the seat tube.

Attachments

• 12footBungee1.JPG
    12footBungee1.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 136
  • 12footBungee2.JPG
    12footBungee2.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 12footBungee3.JPG
    12footBungee3.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 139
The park tool is serviceable. Mess is contained? I guess.

I have been removing my chain one time a week and manually inspect and clean it, then install with new links. (2 parts)
I'm looking for automatic cleaning action with out removing chain.
I ever remove my chain till it's shot. I usually only clean the original grease off it then I use rock and roll like so https://www.amazon.com/gp/buyagain/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_bia?ie=UTF8&ats=eyJjdXN0b21lcklkIjoiQUQwVVc2SFBFWDE1IiwiZXhwbGljaXRDYW5kaWRhdGVzIjoiQjAwMElR RUJZTSJ9
or rthwe rock and roll holy cow if its warm. I just put it on wipe the chain and do it again in 100 or so miles. everything stays pretty clean the jockey wheels need a little wiping is all and the chain ring once in awhile. it it may take all winter long to gums up the cassette where it takes a little work to clean it. I get 2000 miles in winter and 2500 in summer. got 12,000 miles on the cassette and chainring before I needed to replace them.

I read the description of the park brand. Anybody else use this chain cleaning tools?
I've been using this Park chain cleaner for several years. It does a good job on the chain but it can be a bit messy. I usually put an old towel on the shop floor underneath the bike when using it. Park also sells replacement brushes for the product, which wear out over time.

My only complaint is the odor of the Park chain cleaner solvent that's recommended for use with the product. It smells up the whole shop unless done outdoors. It is also quite expensive. I've tried other solvents including dish soap solution but nothing works as well as the Park solvent.

I've been using this Park chain cleaner for several years. It does a good job on the chain but it can be a bit messy. I usually put an old towel on the shop floor underneath the bike when using it. Park also sells replacement brushes for the product, which wear out over time.

My only complaint is the odor of the Park chain cleaner solvent that's recommended for use with the product. It smells up the whole shop unless done outdoors. It is also quite expensive. I've tried other solvents including dish soap solution but nothing works as well as the Park solvent.
Have you tried WD40 or Simple Green as a cleaning solution?
I find WD40 cleans most situations on a bike acceptably.

Have you tried WD40 or Simple Green as a cleaning solution?
I find WD40 cleans most situations on a bike acceptably.
There are a number of solvents that work but the Park cleaner takes about 8 oz to fill . Two or three fillings are sometimes required depending on the chain condition. It can get expensive and there is the disposal of the used toxic solvent to consider as well.

There are a number of solvents that work but the Park cleaner takes about 8 oz to fill . Two or three fillings are sometimes required depending on the chain condition. It can get expensive and there is the disposal of the used toxic solvent to consider as well.
Hence the Simple Green suggestion. 😉
I guess riding conditions determine whether or not it is necessary, but what you say about the mess and solvent has me with no need or interest in that tool.
I use Boeshield T9 as a chain lube and take them at their word which works well for me.
"T-9 flushes out dirt and old lubricants, displaces moisture and penetrates moving parts in between the rollers and pins on drive chains, carrying the paraffin formula deep into these areas and coating them thoroughly."
On the rare occasions I require more than just a wipe down/re_lube/wipe down.. I'm going to address the entire drivetrain at which point it seems easier to remove the chain. ymmv

Hence the Simple Green suggestion. 😉
I guess riding conditions determine whether or not it is necessary, but what you say about the mess and solvent has me with no need or interest in that tool.
I use Boeshield T9 as a chain lube and take them at their word which works well for me.
"T-9 flushes out dirt and old lubricants, displaces moisture and penetrates moving parts in between the rollers and pins on drive chains, carrying the paraffin formula deep into these areas and coating them thoroughly."
On the rare occasions I require more than just a wipe down/re_lube/wipe down.. I'm going to address the entire drivetrain at which point it seems easier to remove the chain. ymmv
Yes, the Park tool can be expensive if you use solvents. As a result, I switched to using a dish soap solution. It takes 4 or 5 flushes to get the chain clean but it's amazing the amount of crap that comes off. Once a season or so, I'll use the Park solvent.

I used to remove my motorcycle chains and soak them in gasoline overnight. I might try it with the bike chain just to compare. I can always burn the gas to dispose of it.

Hey, Which way are the arrows pointing on the tire? And which way is the headlight pointing? How about the fork and fender?
1647121424082.jpeg

I got this tool a few days ago, I had ordered a new cassette when it arrives. I will replace the old one. Should I get a tourqe wrench too? I was reliant on dealer service that's why I don't have tourqe wrench. Any of you members can recommend one for ebikes?
You really do not need one. Just make it snug without forcing it. The cassette will tighten itself. Apply a layer of grease so someday you will be able to get it off.

I did a 35 mile ride with 20Mph head winds for the first 17 miles on a three speed. I ran out of juice on the final big hill and my friend towed me using the 12 foot bungee. It was perfect. The bungee takes out any shock and slack.
1647220696313.jpeg

Back