Roadster/Gravelster Aftermarket Improved LCD Display!!

PSm

Region
USA
Exciting news! Even though Ride1UP and Eggrider could not confirm compatibility with the Roadster, and I got conflicting information, I took a risk and ordered and EggRider Lishui version LCD replacement from https://eggrider.com/

It took a lot of trial and error, and messing around, but I think I got it working! LCD display seems brighter and readable with my polarized sunglasses, and the display has more data and is customizable via Bluetooth with an Eggrider app (in my case, the Android app). Need to do a bit more testing to validate accuracy, but for me it's worth it if just for a more visible display.

Notes:
I have a mid-2021 Roadster v2.
I ordered from Eggrider the Lishui variant
Had to do a wire transfer, and get it shipped from the UK
Took a couple of weeks to arrive
After receiving, set up via Android app, as a Bafang controller, changed default 9 PAS levels to 5 PAS levels
Verified or set up EggRider Display and Bafang settings, 36 v, nominal current 7a, limit current 15a, undervoltage 31 volts, battery range 41.8 v to 33.8 v (?), max speed assist 39 km/h

No guarantee if it'll work for you, but I'm happy to have gotten it pending final testing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-085108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-085108_Gallery.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot_20220822-085121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-085121_Gallery.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Screenshot_20220822-085200_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-085200_Gallery.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 316
Exciting news! Even though Ride1UP and Eggrider could not confirm compatibility with the Roadster, and I got conflicting information, I took a risk and ordered and EggRider Lishui version LCD replacement from https://eggrider.com/

It took a lot of trial and error, and messing around, but I think I got it working! LCD display seems brighter and readable with my polarized sunglasses, and the display has more data and is customizable via Bluetooth with an Eggrider app (in my case, the Android app). Need to do a bit more testing to validate accuracy, but for me it's worth it if just for a more visible display.

Notes:
After receiving, set up via Android app, as a Bafang controller, changed default 9 PAS levels to 5 PAS levels
Verified or set up EggRider Display and Bafang settings, 36 v, nominal current 7a, limit current 15a, undervoltage 31 volts, battery range 41.8 v to 33.8 v (?), max speed assist 39 km/h

No guarantee if it'll work for you, but I'm happy to have gotten it pending final testing!
Is it roughly the same size as the stock display? Also, excuse me if you already posted, but how much $ for the Eggrider?

Almost the same size, slightly taller. ~ $100 depending on exchange rate

I just took another test ride. Was even able to change the PAS from 5 levels to 9 levels, and the app even allowed me to change the % level of assist for each PAS level
I'll probably change back to 5 levels, but customize the output for each level.

And to repeat, I can see the display now with polarized sunglasses!

Pictures of my current settings using the Android EggRider app, for configuring the display.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-130207.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-130207.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_20220822-130200.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-130200.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Screenshot_20220822-130235.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-130235.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Screenshot_20220822-130224.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-130224.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I looked again at the Eggrider and the Roadster 2021 display, and the Eggrider is essentially the same size, but looks like the Roadster 2022 display below?

Makes me wonder, if the new OEM replacement Roadster 2022 display on ride1up website is also different from my 2021 roadster display? https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-display/

Update: I was able to set the PAS current levels, and found the results for my customized settings PAS1-5

5% current = ~20 watts
10% = ~40 watts
33% = ~180 watts
66% = ~380 watts
100% = 550+ watts

Update: I was able to set the PAS current levels, and found the results for my customized settings PAS1-5

5% current = ~20 watts
10% = ~40 watts
33% = ~180 watts
66% = ~380 watts
100% = 550+ watts
Nice! On the PAS levels you show, those are your customized ones correct? Any idea how close those settings are to the R1U default settings? Seem similar from my experience - just a nice little push in 1, not a lot of difference going to 2 and then big jumps in 3,4 and 5. Almost all of my rides are primarily in 0 or 1, with 2 and 3 for hills and almost never in 4 and 5.

Nice! On the PAS levels you show, those are your customized ones correct? Any idea how close those settings are to the R1U default settings? Seem similar from my experience - just a nice little push in 1, not a lot of difference going to 2 and then big jumps in 3,4 and 5. Almost all of my rides are primarily in 0 or 1, with 2 and 3 for hills and almost never in 4 and 5.
I don't have what the R1U default settings are, but my "seat of the pants" measurements are that the stock R1U values are more like 10% current, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% for PAS1-5. But just a rough guess. I'm trying out different settings to try to maximize mileage, with some all out sprints, and generally maximize my fitness 😀

Just came from another ride, and found that in the EggRider app I was also able to increase the max speed limit for still getting motor assist. Bumped up limit to 28 mph (from 24 mph), and it was still giving motor assist up to almost 26 mph (at which point my cadence was just too high rpm to keep going faster on flat ground)

p.s.- I can also set to 9 PAS levels, or 3, but for me having 5 may be just about right.

Last edited:

Notes:

I'm curious to see how you got this to work: did you just switch out the device and then launch the app and somehow tell the new device what inputs to look for?

I'm curious to see how you got this to work: did you just switch out the device and then launch the app and somehow tell the new device what inputs to look for?
Exactly. Now that I figured out how to configure, it's pretty easy.

Unplug old display, plug in new one (need to order the Lishui variant version, so it is the right connector).

Then follow the instructions from the EggRider website online manual, and configure using the App using Bluetooth from my Android phone (though supposedly there is also an iOS version).

MY BASIC SET-UP:
Using Android app, use as a Bafang controller, change default 9 PAS levels to 5 PAS levels. Set up EggRider Display and Bafang settings, 36 v, nominal current 7a, limit current 15a, undervoltage 31 volts, battery range 41.8 v to 33.8 v, max speed assist 39 km/h. In Bafang Pedal setting screen, change Start Current from 100% to something lower like 50% to reduce strain on motor.

Then it should just work 😀 . No warranty or liability for my recommendations!

After that, you can customize as little or much as you want, but that's optional. I believe the above basic settings are all that is needed to get it working.

Exactly. Now that I figured out how to configure, it's pretty easy.

Unplug old display, plug in new one (need to order the Lishui variant version, so it is the right connector).

Then follow the instructions from the EggRider website online manual, and configure using the App using Bluetooth from my Android phone (though supposedly there is also an iOS version).

MY BASIC SET-UP:
Using Android app, use as a Bafang controller, change default 9 PAS levels to 5 PAS levels. Set up EggRider Display and Bafang settings, 36 v, nominal current 7a, limit current 15a, undervoltage 31 volts, battery range 41.8 v to 33.8 v, max speed assist 39 km/h. In Bafang Pedal setting screen, change Start Current from 100% to something lower like 50% to reduce strain on motor.

Then it should just work 😀 . No warranty or liability for my recommendations!

After that, you can customize as little or much as you want, but that's optional. I believe the above basic settings are all that is needed to get it working.
Besides being able to see it with Polarized glasses, what else is better with the Eggrider?

Besides being able to see it with Polarized glasses, what else is better with the Eggrider?
See above posts and EggRider website, but the things I like most are the ability to customize the level of assist for each PAS value, change the max speed at which assist cuts off (to over 24 mph, or to lower it if you want), and to see more real-time data like watts. And you can simultaneously see the data on your smartphone during your ride, but I don't care about that.

My goal is to be able to do an 100 mile ride with 10,000 ft elevation gain with internal/external battery, and my only hope of doing it is to continue to improve fitness level + hypermile as much as possible including optimizing controller settings. With the stock settings and internal/external battery, have only been able to achieve a 90+ mile ride with 7500+ ft elevation gain. Looking for improvement.

Another feature I've found that is useful: you can have two different remembered power settings for "M" button, Eco and Sport.

For example, I can use the Eco mode most all the time and adjust PAS levels up or down like normal. And then have max assist set for the Sport setting. Then anytime I press the "M" button, I can temporarily use max assist in Turbo mode, and press "M" again to go back to my Eco mode PAS setting.

Hard to explain without seeing, but I can toggle on max assist with one button press for a huge hill, and then go right back to prior assist level.

Other fun stuff: there is a "Range to Go" or miles remaining estimate (not sure how accurate... need to test it long term) also on the screen, along with battery % remaining, and voltage # shown, along with speed and miles, ALL on the one screen.

Crazy adjustment possibilities even include the part of a pedal revolution that pedal assist starts, anything from 1/24 of a full revolution or higher. Mine is default for 1/8 of a pedal revolution.

Last edited:
Another feature I've found that is useful: you can have two different remembered power settings for "M" button, Eco and Turbo.

For example, I can use the Eco mode most all the time and adjust PAS levels up or down like normal. And then have max assist set for the Turbo setting. Then anytime I press the "M" button, I can temporarily use max assist in Turbo mode, and press "M" again to go back to my Eco mode PAS setting.

Hard to explain without seeing, but I can toggle on max assist with one button press for a huge hill, and then go right back to prior assist level.

Other fun stuff: there is a "Range to Go" or miles remaining estimate (not sure how accurate... need to test it long term) also on the screen, along with battery % remaining, and voltage # shown, along with speed and miles, ALL on the one screen.

Crazy adjustment possibilities even include the part of a pedal revolution that pedal assist starts, anything from 1/24 of a full revolution or higher. Mine is default for 1/8 of a pedal revolution.
You lost me at huge hill;)

FYI - I was able to take a look at a new Roadster, and it looks like the stock LCD display has better visibility with polarized sunglasses than the one that came with my 2021 model. The power button with the new one is black in color, compared to the prior orange one.

Still think the EggRider display is a great upgrade for those that want to customize and have more data. Had a great ride today with it, and have found out some more interesting bits of information:
- The lowest possible power setting for the EggRider provides ~20 watts
- If you go past the maximum speed limit for pedal assist, it doesn't go to zero, but instead still puts out 20 watts
- The maximum pedal assist can put out 550+ watts
- If your battery is in the lower voltage range, and you are using the maximum assist and get "voltage sag"... the voltage can drop ~10% under heavy load and then shut down the assist. And this will happen temporarily, dropping down to 31.6 volts. If you use lower assist levels, the voltage does not drop as much, and you might have any voltage sag issues (until battery is getting close to depleted).

I
FYI - I was able to take a look at a new Roadster, and it looks like the stock LCD display has better visibility with polarized sunglasses than the one that came with my 2021 model. The power button with the new one is black in color, compared to the prior orange one.

Still think the EggRider display is a great upgrade for those that want to customize and have more data. Had a great ride today with it, and have found out some more interesting bits of information:
- The lowest possible power setting for the EggRider provides ~20 watts
- If you go past the maximum speed limit for pedal assist, it doesn't go to zero, but instead still puts out 20 watts
- The maximum pedal assist can put out 550+ watts
- If your battery is in the lower voltage range, and you are using the maximum assist and get "voltage sag"... the voltage can drop ~10% under heavy load and then shut down the assist. And this will happen temporarily, dropping down to 31.6 volts. If you use lower assist levels, the voltage does not drop as much, and you might have any voltage sag issues (until battery is getting close to depleted).
Is it worth the upgrade? I bought my roadster v2 with extended battery for $500 used and the only issue was the broken stock display (orange button). It still worked but drove me crazy so I ordered a new one (black button) and installed it in the recommended orientation on the R1U support article.

It seems silly but I really like how the eggrider can display data on your phone like that.

Anyways, I need to get my belt tension under control first. This bike rides beautiful but on hilly or sudden acceleration from a stop gets that ugly clicking/grinding/skipping.

Can anyone advise which gates model number krikit tensioner works for these bikes?

And before there are questions, yes, I confirmed the bike was not stolen and was purchased directly from R1U. I wouldn’t do that and bought this bike a few days after my LMT’d got stolen

I

Is it worth the upgrade? I bought my roadster v2 with extended battery for $500 used and the only issue was the broken stock display (orange button). It still worked but drove me crazy so I ordered a new one (black button) and installed it in the recommended orientation on the R1U support article.

It seems silly but I really like how the eggrider can display data on your phone like that.

Anyways, I need to get my belt tension under control first. This bike rides beautiful but on hilly or sudden acceleration from a stop gets that ugly clicking/grinding/skipping.

Can anyone advise which gates model number krikit tensioner works for these bikes?
Model number 91107.

Reactions: PSm
I

For me, dialing in the about 45-50 lbs of tension as recommended by Ride1UP, worked great to provide the right amount and prevent slipping.

Not silly at all, I've really come to love the EggRider. Just a hassle to order from the UK and to have use a money transfer to pay for it, but for me it's well worth it!

Having all that extra data on the LCD display itself (but also available on your smartphone, if you want it ... but I don't want to wear down the phone battery) is invaluable for me, since I'm really focused on training and my own human power output (so I want to know the watts put out by the motor at all times). And I've settled on 9 PAS levels, PAS 1 set to 20 watts motor output, and the others customized for my riding style, and the one-touch mode shortcut to go a pre-set PAS level/watts output when needed.

Back