Review: Arkel Tail Rider Trunk Bag

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades

tempImage6g8bML.jpg

Now, normally I am a Swift Industries fanboy, but I've always liked Arkel's stuff and this trunk bag solves a problem I have: where to take tools that are too big to fit in a handlebar bag (like a pump) on day rides. While generally I dislike trunk bags this one hasn't annoyed me as much as most and works pretty well. Like all trunk bags it has a very modest capacity but there is plenty of room for tools (including that pump), a bike lock, some extra layers, and snacks.

There is a divider in the main compartment that attaches with velcro. The whole bag is nicely padded so you can probably get away with carrying a bottle of scotch if that is your thing. There are small mesh interior pockets and also small zippered exterior pockets. Straps on the top are suitable for carrying overflow items like a parka. The main bag expands modestly though not dramatically. The bag attaches to your rear rack with velcro straps which have proven very secure so far. There is a built-in rain cover somewhere that I haven't used.

Because of the velcro and because it is wider than a typical rack, I suspect this bag would work poorly with panniers and wouldn't recommend that unless you have a fancy double-decker rack.

Build quality, like all Arkel bags, is excellent. Recommended if you like trunk bags.

Last edited:

View attachment 83347

Now, normally I am a Swift Industries fanboy, but I've always liked Arkel's stuff and this trunk bag solves a problem I have: where to take tools that are too big to fit in a handlebar bag (like a pump) on day rides. While generally I dislike trunk bags this one hasn't annoyed me as much as most and works pretty well. Like all trunk bags it has a very modest capacity but there is plenty of room for tools (including that pump), a bike lock, some extra layers, and snacks.

There is a divider in the main compartment that attaches with velcro. The whole bag is nicely padded so you can probably get away with carrying a bottle of scotch if that is your thing. There are small mesh interior pockets and also small zippered exterior pockets. Straps on the top are suitable for carrying overflow items like a parka. The main bag expands modestly though not dramatically. The bag attaches to your rear rack with velcro straps which have proven very secure so far. There is a built-in rain cover somewhere that I haven't used.

Because of the velcro and because it is wider than a typical rack, I suspect this bag would work poorly with panniers and wouldn't recommend that unless you have a fancy double-decker rack.

Build quality, like all Arkel bags, is excellent. Recommended if you like trunk bags.
Good to hear you are happy with the quality of your Arkel bag. I just ordered a set of Arkel Orca 45 panniers last night for my Cube. CN

I have an Arkel seat post bag and I love it. I'm amazed at how much stuff I can stuff into it and I agree on the bag's quality....very well made.

z6oz0MZ.jpg

Back