Product Improvement:- Feedback to Bosch.

Should we have a priority thread for Product Improvement Suggestions to Manufacturers?

• Total voters
I have bought a Bosch Nyon and one thing which really annoys me is the fact that a ride is is split up in separate activities on the eBike connect site each the the Nyon shuts down. If I go on long ride and take a break, the Nyon will shut down during the stops. This will cause the ride to be split and displayed as separate rides. The same happens when I restart the navigation (this happens from time to time when the GPS flips).
It would be great to have a function in the portal to merge these segments back into a single activity, which was the intention in the first place (and perhaps also the option to undo it, if you make an error).

Hi not so much feed back but a question...I bought an Allant 7s , I want to make sure it is up to date , 85nm, I left the manual at the shop , is there a combo of buttons to see on the version? And what should it be? Any other hints model or brand specific? Thank you

If you register/logon to https://www.ebike-connect.com/ebikeconnect then go to your go to My Ebike, add devices if necessary then you should be able to see the details including, part no, serial no, hardware no and software version of your display, drive unit and battery. I think software for 85 nm drive unit upgrade is version 1.1.0.0.

Consult help on that webpage to register if necessary and help will also link to the relevant manuals.

Cheers

Hi not so much feed back but a question...I bought an Allant 7s , I want to make sure it is up to date , 85nm, I left the manual at the shop , is there a combo of buttons to see on the version? And what should it be? Any other hints model or brand specific? Thank you
I think if you have the Purion, press and hold the + and - buttons and press the power on button. Be ready to write it down as it scrolls by quickly. I videoed it with my phone so I could slow it down.

Went to ebikeconnect site, signed up, only supports Kiox and Nyon, don’t have that yet. About to check Dallant’s method and see if I can turn off the light

I have bought a Bosch Nyon and one thing which really annoys me is the fact that a ride is is split up in separate activities on the eBike connect site each the the Nyon shuts down. If I go on long ride and take a break, the Nyon will shut down during the stops. This will cause the ride to be split and displayed as separate rides. The same happens when I restart the navigation (this happens from time to time when the GPS flips).
It would be great to have a function in the portal to merge these segments back into a single activity, which was the intention in the first place (and perhaps also the option to undo it, if you make an error).
My rides during the day are consolidated automatically on the Bosch site in to a day's riding. This occurs no later than the next time I turn on the bike. Make sure you have enabled the Automatic Reset option at the very bottom of the My Nyon section of the settings menu on the Nyon.

Went to ebikeconnect site, signed up, only supports Kiox and Nyon, don’t have that yet. About to check Dallant’s method and see if I can turn off the light
I would remind you that I couldn’t turn it on and off until I got the Bosch update recently. I asked specifically for that to be enabled along with the EMTB mode.

tech called telling me flat in other bike fixed and will change while I wait today. Could not get to show on display when I tried...plan on asking about asking about emtb mode although I have an S...thx

tech called telling me flat in other bike fixed and will change while I wait today. Could not get to show on display when I tried...plan on asking about asking about emtb mode although I have an S...thx
I would also remind you that it isn’t my method. It’s straight out of page 58 of the black Trek/Bosch ebike manual.👍

Attachments

• B7EE8E4A-4B51-40D5-9176-278401B512B2.jpeg
    B7EE8E4A-4B51-40D5-9176-278401B512B2.jpeg
    746.5 KB · Views: 343
I don’t have a book yet. I tried pushing the combo , didn’t work only tried once , appreciate the help. Back now with upgraded Bike or at least a functioning on off switch for the light . He said the radio button to check was 85 and light off which he did but no choice at all for EMBT. On my under 2 mile test before leaving it seemed no different at best but functional light now so it must be the latest update.

Later I will check again so I can write it down, currently charging

I don’t have a book yet. I tried pushing the combo , didn’t work only tried once , appreciate the help. Back now with upgraded Bike or at least a functioning on off switch for the light . He said the radio button to check was 85 and light off which he did but no choice at all for EMBT. On my under 2 mile test before leaving it seemed no different at best but functional light now so it must be the latest update.

Later I will check again so I can write it down, currently charging
Pushing the combo? You need to hold +&- down while you turn the power on. EMTB appears to be a CX only option.

Bosch product improvement:
With all of the fuss, confusion & contention over the Sport vs eMTB mode why not keep it the way it as the moment - default is switchable via dealer portal.
But allow the user to use both via holding the "info" button down whilst shifting assist up or down?
eg. If your programmed default is eMTB then whilst shifting normally between Tour & Turbo it goes into eMTB mode (just like it is now) but if you hold down the "Info" button whilst shifting between Tour & Turbo mode it's goes into Sport mode.
I would assume the software for eMTB & Sport is already in the motor itself and should be easily switchable via an update that can detect the additional button combinations.

I didn’t turn it on while holding i pushed while on...if the lights can be changed I have it though..I was pretty sure it was for the CX only but asked if he could anyway...and he did check , all I could hope for.

Bosch product improvement:
With all of the fuss, confusion & contention over the Sport vs eMTB mode why not keep it the way it as the moment - default is switchable via dealer portal.
But allow the user to use both via holding the "info" button down whilst shifting assist up or down?
eg. If your programmed default is eMTB then whilst shifting normally between Tour & Turbo it goes into eMTB mode (just like it is now) but if you hold down the "Info" button whilst shifting between Tour & Turbo mode it's goes into Sport mode.
I would assume the software for eMTB & Sport is already in the motor itself and should be easily switchable via an update that can detect the additional button combinations.
Great suggestion! That would be very handy to have it as a choice on the eBike display, and would definitely make things simpler. Unfortunately, it's not possible at this time.

[Edit: my DU explanation below is a bit obvious I realize, but I wanted to reiterate all that goes on in there to lend understanding to the software package explanation.]

The Drive Unit (which is the aluminum or magnesium casing that contains the brushless DC motor, gearing, sensors, speed controller, 32-bit processor, etc.) is designed to function using an 'eBike make/model specific' software package (on top of the basic drive unit firmware package from the Bosch factory.) It can only have a single software package programmed at any given time. This is why the dealer must use the Bosch Diagnostic Software to select either the eMTB Mode file or the Sport Mode file, but not both. Though it seems simple, there are more differences between an eMTB file and a Sport file than may seem apparent.

Last edited:
Pushing the combo? You need to hold +&- down while you turn the power on. EMTB appears to be a CX only option.
eMTB Mode is currently an option on (3) different Bosch drive units:

- Performance Line CX, Gen2
- Performance Line CX, Gen4
- Performance Line Cruise, Gen3

(There is no CX DU for Gen3)

Keep in mind... this is a comprehensive list of what Bosch drive units are capable of having an eMTB Mode software package installed. Some OEMs may elect not to allow it on certain models, even though they use one of the DUs listed above. An example might be an OEM using a Gen2 CX on a cargo bike, and thinking that eMTB wouldn't be appropriate. Another OEM in the past just didn't like the way eMTB Mode felt, so they opted not to offer it.

I hope this helps!

eMTB Mode is currently an option on (3) different Bosch drive units:

- Performance Line CX, Gen2
- Performance Line CX, Gen4
- Performance Line Cruise, Gen3

(There is no CX DU for Gen3)

Keep in mind... this is a comprehensive list of what Bosch drive units are capable of having an eMTB Mode software package installed. Some OEMs may elect not to allow it on certain models, even though they use one of the DUs listed above. An example might be an OEM using a Gen2 CX on a cargo bike, and thinking that eMTB wouldn't be appropriate. Another OEM in the past just didn't like the way eMTB Mode felt, so they opted not to offer it.

I hope this helps!
Well you can tell your fellow Boschers that I’m very happy they included EMTB mode as an option for my Allant+7! I’m loving it! It climbed like crazy up a hill through the very heavy weeds and rutted ground.👍

I have read a couple posts where the Purian was replaced by the now available Kiox kit.1 for $250 and the other for $275, is there any info or educated guess when Nyon will be available and a price? I am wanting to upgrade , Not sure of which but price and availability factor into the decision. There is a Nyon kit available in England for under 350 but for this bike I am trying to get all work performed and warranted by the local purchase shop.

Some OEMs may elect not to allow it on certain models, even though they use one of the DUs listed above. An example might be an OEM using a Gen2 CX on a cargo bike, and thinking that eMTB wouldn't be appropriate. Another OEM in the past just didn't like the way eMTB Mode felt, so they opted not to offer it.
This is exactly where IMHO Bosch needs to change thinking (to a degree).
I am what i would call a MPP (Manufactured Product Purchaser).
So out of my AUD10,000 i spent on an ebike, Bosch in turn received from me the money charged for a DU, Display, Controller, Y-Cable, Magnet/Sensor, extra charging socket, other cables?, 2 x Powertube 500's, 2 x Powertube 500 mounts, 4A charger + manuals.

To make more money, Bosch designs for OEM's and MPP's.
To make more money, OEM's design to sell more bikes to MPP's.
MPP's are delivering the money to OEM's and in turn Bosch.
MPP's should have the most choice in regards to options/features.

Last edited:
Hello//

I want to suggest two mods to the Nyon.

First - I own an electric vehicle. You never charge the battery to 100% unless you’re planning a long trip and can bleed off some charge early in the trip. Typically, I’ll charge the battery to the 60% range, depending on how I expect to use the car. Very similar to my eBike. On the car there’s a function that allows you to set the charge level. It’s a sliding bar that’s very easy to use. Since the eBike’s charging is managed by the Nyon it should not be difficult to implement this capability. It would be beneficial.

Second -and maybe a bit trickier. One of the Nyon screens allows the user to input the tire’s diameter or circumference (basically the same thing since the circumference is pi times the diameter). Why not calculate the circumference dynamically? It’s not rocket science - you have a GPS engine on board. There’s also a way of determining when the tire completes a revolution (the magnetic sensor). There’s also a way to determine distance traveled using the GPS engine.

There’s a concept in statistics that tells us an infinite number of inaccurate measurements results in a precise answer. Think of a bell-shaped curve with a very sharp peak. The peak is the precise answer.

Here’s what you do: start the GPS distance measurement process when the magnetic sensor senses the magnet. Count out an infinite number of revolutions (actually a large number - maybe two hundred). Two hundred revolutions on a 750mm diameter tire (pi X 750 ~ 2.4meters) is a bit less than 500 meters. Not very far. Next - determine the distance traveled using the GPS engine. Not a difficult calculation. Next, divide the distance by the number of revolutions and you get the distance traveled per revolution, which is the tire’s circumference. The Nyon could do this periodically. There’s so much energy available on an eBike that the calculation itself would be in the background noise of power consumption.

regards,

Bob Holliday

Back