Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Braving 'the cold' …
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail : Toogoolawah, Queensland

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Toogoolawah, Queensland
11:50 am; 55 km
  • On the concrete (L–R): R&M Nevo, Specialized Turbo Levo, S-Works Turbo Levo (I knew you'd 'need' to know!)
  • The pale mounds scattered across the paddock are termite mounds.
Location Marker

@Stefan Mikes Loved reading your post, I know with your determination you will achieve 100 miles soon! The secret is to pick the right day with little wind and not too warm, yesterday was perfect for me! If you can pick the right day choose your route carefully and try to start with a tailwind and get as much mileage from your first battery as you can! The main thing is to keep hydrated as I'm sure you know and eat just a little at a time but often!

The main thing is to keep hydrated as I'm sure you know and eat just a little at a time but often!
Thank you for your advice, Friend! Hydrated, yes, eating, no 🙂 I'm a mine of fat, the assistance helps my body convert fat into carbohydrates at the best rate possible. Would you believe my weight dropped to 89.3 kg from 89.8 over last weekend? And my current weight was measured after having a breakfast! 😃
P.S. Why do you recommend starting the ride downwind? On a loop, I prefer starting upwind to determine the battery range more accurarely...

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice, Friend! Hydrated, yes, eating, no 🙂 I'm a mine of fat, the assistance helps my body convert fat into carbohydrates at the best rate possible. Would you believe my weight dropped to 89.3 kg from 89.8 over last weekend? And my current weight was measured after having a breakfast! 😃
P.S. Why do you recommend starting the ride downwind? On a loop, I prefer starting upwind to determine the battery range more accurarely...
You don't eat on a longer ride? you can maintain your energy levels without food? I find starting downwind conserves battery power and leaves you with more battery power for the upwind leg, I do the opposite on my non e bike!

Its Bank holiday in the UK, basically we all get monday of work, the weather is fantastic and I rode with the missus to video some of her running group doing a virtual marathon raising money for cancer and epilepsy charities, given that a few of them were less than ideally suited for the distance and conditions, it was an amazing feat.
we started at our favourite cycle cafe , which it turned out had been broken into early in the morning, luckily the alarm scared them off.
The lady describing her daughters illness has the scouse accent, we all do a bit, but there it is if you want to hear one.
Lovely to see the crowds, it was like going back to the 50s in some parts of the seafront.
Oh and you say it edin -burra..not edind-berg :)

You don't eat on a longer ride? you can maintain your energy levels without food? I find starting downwind conserves battery power and leaves you with more battery power for the upwind leg, I do the opposite on my non e bike!
Rab,

The first 45 minutes of effort mean the body consumes simple carbs (a sandwich or two eaten well in advance will do). Afterwards, as long as you stay in the aerobic region, your body begins converting body fat into carbohydrates and the latter are used as the fuel. If the effort is controlled (and the motor assistance is ideal for that) -- and stops are being made (which increases the time available for biochemical reactions), my body gets into some kind of equilibrium: fats are converted to carbs and to energy at ideal rate. My last ride meant 3 h 45 mins of pedalling but my total time spent outside was 6 hours. Now, I can say it has been 9 hours between my morning sandwich and the afternoon pizza, and no food intake meanwhile whatsoever.

It is not a recipe for everybody. I'm still obese. My ill legs prevent me from spending too much energy too fast. I'm in agreement with my e-bike regarding how I'm riding and it works in my case. Hydration is a must though.

An anecdote!
I rarely allow myself going into bursts of leg power. I cannot, however, stand the phenomenon of a roadie taking me over when I am on my Vado :D Fancy that, I'm pedalling at low speed of 21 km/h upwind in 30% Eco to conserve the battery power; a roadie overtakes me. NO WAY MAN. I'm pressing the + on the remote twice and chase him. Not overtaking him, no, no, no. Just following him. The poor boy sped up to 37 km/h upwind. And he bonked soon :D "Nice day to you!" I shouted, while passing him by :D And I had to swap the battery soon: something I could have avoided if not his attempt :) Strava/BLEvo tell me I had a leg power burst of 507 W at some moment of the chase...

Wind/loop/range: Elementary, My Dear Watson :) As long as the wind blows from the same direction and with constant speed, it doesn't matter which way you move on a loop route. Riding into the wind in the beginning seemingly reduces your range but moving downwind later compensates for that. Moreover, if you can determine the remaining battery range (BLEvo for Specialized e-bikes is perfect in it), you might be surprised how much of the remaining charge (especially of the spare battery) is left for the downwind return leg. Which often allows me coming back in Sport or Turbo modes!

Last edited:
Rab,

The first 45 minutes of effort mean the body consumes simple carbs (a sandwich or two eaten well in advance will do). Afterwards, as long as you stay in the aerobic region, your body begins converting body fat into carbohydrates and the latter are used as the fuel. If the effort is controlled (and the motor assistance is ideal for that) -- and stops are being made (which increases the time available for biochemical reactions), my body gets into some kind of equilibrium: fats are converted to carbs and to energy at ideal rate. My last ride meant 3 h 45 mins of pedalling but my total time spent outside was 6 hours. Now, I can say it has been 9 hours between my morning sandwich and the afternoon pizza, and no food intake meanwhile whatsoever.

It is not a recipe for everybody. I'm still obese. My ill legs prevent me from spending too much energy too fast. I'm in agreement with my e-bike regarding how I'm riding and it works in my case. Hydration is a must though.

An anecdote!
I rarely allow myself going into bursts of leg power. I cannot, however, stand the phenomenon of a roadie taking me over when I am on my Vado :D Fancy that, I'm pedalling at low speed of 21 km/h upwind in 30% Eco to conserve the battery power; a roadie overtakes me. NO WAY MAN. I'm pressing the + on the remote twice and chase him. Not overtaking him, no, no, no. Just following him. The poor boy sped up to 37 km/h upwind. And he bonked soon :D "Nice day to you!" I shouted, while passing him by :D And I had to swap the battery soon: something I could have avoided if not his attempt :)Strava/BLEvo tell me I had a leg power burst of 507 W at some moment of the chase...

Wind/loop/range: Elementary, My Dear Watson :) As long as the wind blows from the same direction and with constant speed, it doesn't matter which way you move on a loop route. Riding into the wind in the beginning seemingly reduces your range but moving downwind later compensates for that. Moreover, if you can determine the remaining battery range (BLEvo for Specialized e-bikes is perfect in it), you might be surprised how much of the remaining charge (especially of the spare battery) is left for the downwind return leg. Which often allows me coming back in Sport or Turbo modes!
Stefan, your metabolism is very different to mine! Even on a short ride I need food, I bonk very easily because I have no body fat! I consumed 4 bananas and 6 chocolate bars on my ride yesterday!

I hope no roadies pass you when you are attempting your 100 miler! ;) 🤣 I got passed many times yesterday and there was no way I was chasing them down, I did get one guy back though as he was almost going backwards up a climb, I never saw him again!;)

Last edited:
Lovely 12.83 (or 13.21, depending on which tracker I believe 🤣) ride on my Flow this morning... No pictures today, just riding.

Screenshot_20210531-114642~2.png

Screenshot_20210531-113111~2.png

Out the door and down the street to connect to the Bicentennial Greenway. Rode that to the intersection with the Atlantic and Yadkin rail trail, which we rode out to Bur Mill park. A little rest on the fishing dock on Lake Higgins for a snack, then retraced our route back home.

This route could be circular instead of out and back, but for lack of safe cycling options and road construction past the park. It is a beautiful ride though, with only one moderately busy, and one really busy (but with a signal light, so only had to watch for drivers turning at the light) road crossings. Moderate pedestrian and other bike traffic on the trail - just about a perfect ride!

Happy Memorial Day, USA:

Screenshot_20210529-175853~2.png

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous day for a 30+ miler!

Attachments

• 363ADBFC-A5E8-4CCF-A664-10D09B54EECE.jpeg
    363ADBFC-A5E8-4CCF-A664-10D09B54EECE.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 227
  • FF96E967-E93A-46B8-9F35-DE593B0D1BAF.jpeg
    FF96E967-E93A-46B8-9F35-DE593B0D1BAF.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 223
  • B0013995-1299-4BB0-AD2D-AC67C1824677.jpeg
    B0013995-1299-4BB0-AD2D-AC67C1824677.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 208
  • 44D01BDF-EA50-4AA2-A86F-A03E2D51DC7A.jpeg
    44D01BDF-EA50-4AA2-A86F-A03E2D51DC7A.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 217
  • A0671E59-99AD-482F-87E9-91608741BC20.jpeg
    A0671E59-99AD-482F-87E9-91608741BC20.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 215
Like Rab I needed a change of scenery for my bike rides and found it in spades at my daughter's new ranch in central British Columbia, we had helped them with their 2000 km move from Saskatchewan in early April to what seemed to me at the time the end of the world southwest of Prince George. Of course, there was some work to do before I felt I could wander off on my bike - we had over two hundred head of cattle to process which is usually a community event in our neck of the woods but as newcomers didn't expect any local help. My
20210525_111821.jpg
20210524_094134.jpg
20210524_100509.jpg
20210529_093232.jpg
wonky back cheered up as Kristi's new neighbors showed up with their family and what a wonderful help they proved to be . . . another picture I've added is horse and solar power in the background, this ranch is truly off the grid, a major forest fire came through in 2015 and made riding tricky throughout the 10 days I spent there. After 2 days of ranch work I sat on their home deck looking south and surely must have felt the same as early explorers as they looked over the horizon - where to start? start I did and can't wait to head back probably in the fall and get closer to the Bobtail mountains in the background pictures - I must admit after so many black bear sightings I will replace my aging bear spray bottle and add some bear bells to my handle bars - another challenge proved to lack of phone service and I truly gave my back pack extra consideration knowing a phone call for assistance was not an option - one small story that I think most of you e-bikers will enjoy is when a group of cows broke loose and headed to Kris's newly planted garden - I jumped on the levo, hit turbo and beat the cows to top of the hill - one look at the old guy on a bike waving his stick was more than those cows could handle and they meekly headed back to where they belonged - much to the astonishment of my non-biking cowboy family!

Back