Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

The snow is melting out rapidly, so with a little hike-a-bike you can get out of the valley bottom:

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.20.41 PM.png

Near the turnaround, continuous snow for several hundred yards behind me:

snow-top.png

view.png

basketball.png

There are nations that can give several hundred names to snow...
(I know only one in Polish: białe gówno = white s*it) :D

We also can only name five relative wind directions, and these are similar to English nautical terms. Polish wind direction names have been taken from English, Dutch, and German:
  • Mordewind (literally: The wind blowing into your mug), or Into The Wind
  • Bajdewind (by-the-wind), or Close Hauling
  • Halbwind (half-wind), or Beam Reach
  • Baksztag (backstay), or Broad Reach
  • Fordewind (for-the-wind), or Run.
I hate wind while riding! Even cold tailwind is terrible! When would warm, dry and windless weather come to Poland?!

P.S. I apologise for this little rant. I had to cancel my April 30th (Friday) ride because of dangerous halbwind-bajdewind that tried to throw me under a big lorry! I gave up after 9 km...

Last edited:
Spent an hour installing a Tannus Armor tire protector in the rear SCHWALBE G-One of my Allant+7. After 3 rear flats this year, it was time. Inflated it to 25 psi then took on a 16 miler where all went very well. I’m just wondering if I should bother installing one in the front tire as I’ve never had a front flat in my life!
2B340879-E38A-467F-A3E4-164B9BF251A3.jpeg

Attachments

• D924B58F-60C5-4068-A92E-FE5DE7CB6E83.jpeg
    D924B58F-60C5-4068-A92E-FE5DE7CB6E83.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Spent an hour installing a Tennus Armor tire protector in the rear SCHWALBE G-One of my Allant+7. After 3 rear flats this year, it was time. Inflated it to 25 psi then took on a 16 miler where all went very well. I’m just wondering if I should bother installing one in the front tire as I’ve never had a front flat in my life!View attachment 86537
now you did it! put the jinx on yourself :)

Well, spent the last two days flat on my back on my floor. Almost back to regular, had a little trip today to run some errands! It was a casual ride, no biking shorts, no jersey, no gloves, only regular shorts, shirt and sandals; and my helmet of course.

20210504_140921.jpg

Last wind storm ripped my flag poles apart, had to get some new ones.
Screenshot_20210504-150440_Strava.jpg

20210504_121530.jpg

This has been abandoned right in the middle of the road for over a week now and it's a busy road too. I've reported it several times. Figures...

Ride On fellow Earthlings

Well, spent the last two days flat on my back on my floor. Almost back to regular, had a little trip today to run some errands! It was a casual ride, no biking shorts, no jersey, no gloves, only regular shorts, shirt and sandals; and my helmet of course.

View attachment 86539
Last wind storm ripped my flag poles apart, had to get some new ones.
View attachment 86540
View attachment 86541
This has been abandoned right in the middle of the road for over a week now and it's a busy road too. I've reported it several times. Figures...

Ride On fellow Earthlings
What was that before it became a road hazard ?

What happened to your back? You mentioned a twinge, but two days flat on your back is more than a twinge.

What happened to your back? You mentioned a twinge, but two days flat on your back is more than a twinge.
Not sure exactly, was riding along just fine, then noticed lower back pain, made it home and wham! Laid down on rug and it helped so stayed there for awhile then went to bed or should say tried to go to bed, but no dice. So grabbed blankets and got comfy on the floor. Basically kept still and moved only when necessary, eventually got better. Back problem is nothing to mess with I tell you, even breathing was labored.

Not sure exactly, was riding along just fine, then noticed lower back pain, made it home and wham! Laid down on rug and it helped so stayed there for awhile then went to bed or should say tried to go to bed, but no dice. So grabbed blankets and got comfy on the floor. Basically kept still and moved only when necessary, eventually got better. Back problem is nothing to mess with I tell you, even breathing was labored.
Sounds like the back spasms I get now and then. I go to a chiropractor if they continue past a few days. Usually fixes me in a visit or three.

An All-Mountain Kind of a Day

It turned out to be spectacular spring day for a ride as a couple of buddies and I got together yesterday for an outing on the local trails. Both of my companions were riding Specialized Turbo Levos. Kelvin on his CC and Ryan with his ride of choice, a svelt Turbo Levo SL in Battleship Blue. In a little over 2 hours, we tackled five consecutive trails starting at Mackenzie Bluff which runs along the east side of the Red Deer River. Since we had arranged to meet up on the east side of the city, the flow of the intended route would take a counter clockwise heading which was opposite of what I was normally ride. Naturally, I’m always up for a bit of a challenge and still had a blast with the guys regardless of which direction we opted for. As it worked out, the flow was actually better than I imagined.

I was only able to document the first half of our chosen route as I had forgotten to pack an extra battery for the GoPro and was almost depleted by the time we completed the run through the Pines. From Mackenzie Bluff we proceeded to round the wide-open stretch of hills at Riverbend, before making our way over the MTB park where we played on the boardwalk like a trio of juveniles. Then it was off to the Pines Single track which almost felt like it had better flow when approached from the other end of the trail. We finished our ride off with a fast blow through the Heritage Ranch and then from there we doubled back on a smaller loop at the Ranch towards our starting point in Garden Heights.

All of the trails were in exceptional conditions and the recent spell of warm temperatures and longer days helped dry out even the most stubborn damp sections. 👍
Web capture_3-5-2021_215117_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

The Pines 5.jpg

MacKenzie Bluff
MacKenzie Bluff 1.jpg

Mack Bluff 2.jpg

MTB Park - We passed on the nearby jumps and opted instead to try our luck on the boardwalk.
MTB Park 3.jpg

MTB Park 1.jpgMTB Park 2.jpgMTB Park 4.jpg
The Pines Single Track
Pines 1.jpgThe Pines 2.jpgThe Pines 3.jpg
None of us were able to complete the 23% grade dirt climb up at the final forested singletrack near the completion of the ride so it was up to our bike’s walk modes to push us over the top.
Web capture_4-5-2021_102016_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Back