Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

No pictures today, just lots of loose gravel:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.27.55 PM.png

today was a mix of urban and rural roads, with decidedly mixed results ... packs of off-leash dogs on mixed use trails are not a good mix for clipped-in beginner cyclists even at very slow speeds!

route map shows one small segment (between san francisco and treasure island) which is not bikable, threw the creo on the rack out front of a muni bus!

51.5 miles, but only 1900’ elevation.
average speed 14.5mph
used 67 wH, or 21% of the internal battery!

282C12F9-CBF6-4890-ACB6-F6C76DBC20F0.jpeg

375D138C-543E-4614-8AAE-6E0C1414E903.jpeg

A487261A-37A8-450D-9024-6F97C8AAFD2B.jpeg

74BF0654-3296-4F9B-8378-A22F57653190.jpeg

B3EB4EBE-3DDB-4CBA-8EAE-899CDD3B1B25.jpeg

B5814747-6A84-4CB7-9930-5704150076EC.jpeg

3D2505C7-9EEA-4C26-8E82-64A7A8F8CFA7.jpeg

7A161964-4B15-4FF0-912C-9540FF329D46.jpeg

I don't want any trouble, but yes, I usually carry something, but as we noted in the 'dog spray' discussion, there's not really a great solution.

I do not believe in carrying firearms outside the home except in the most extreme circumstances (and yes, open or concealed firearm carry is illegal here) knives are legal for open carry but hard to use, pepper spray not great because of blowback (though some formulations/sprays have better range and might work) and stun guns are typically heavy and/or don't have range, but not bad as a weapon of last resort if powerful enough. Asps or batons would be best, but are not legal.

The mountain lions here don't bother people much-- there are only a few, and they do get quite near our house, but no one's had a problem. I chase coyotes sometimes, they are pretty easily hazed. The unhoused folks are down on their luck and while there are entire colonies of homeless bike thieves in Silverlake/Los Feliz-- and you can see many bikes there in various stages of disassembly-- these encampments did not have that feel to them. I am a psychotherapist, and I work with violent people sometimes-- I do have special training in anger management work-- so I'd almost always try conflict de-escalation first. These guys were a little scary, but they didn't have a predatory look; if there was conflict, it would due to mental illness or misunderstanding, which theoretically I am trained to handle.

My colleagues work in homeless outreach, I've had some homeless clients. These guys (and gals and gender nonconforming folks) have some fascinating stories sometimes. When you hear about their day-to-day lives, it's easier to understand why they don't stay in shelters. But yeah, I get scared, and I might use my carry if there were really, absolutely, and totally no other option.

This is what I carry. It was legal to carry concealed in California when I checked 3 years ago. If you decide to buy, always check the expiration date.

today was a mix of urban and rural roads, with decidedly mixed results ... packs of off-leash dogs on mixed use trails are not a good mix for clipped-in beginner cyclists even at very slow speeds!

route map shows one small segment (between san francisco and treasure island) which is not bikable, threw the creo on the rack out front of a muni bus!

51.5 miles, but only 1900’ elevation.
average speed 14.5mph
used 67 wH, or 21% of the internal battery!

View attachment 86392

View attachment 86388

View attachment 86389

View attachment 86390

View attachment 86391

View attachment 86393

View attachment 86394

View attachment 86395
Looks like the city was abandoned every pic. Liked the light at the end of the tunnel too...

Looks like the city was abandoned every pic. Liked the light at the end of the tunnel too...
I tend not to ride one handed with people around, so that’s an interesting side effect, nobody in any photos!

Now, let me tell you two stories from my May 1st ride I've completely forgotten about!

I was riding a narrow gravel road at the side of the forest; the road was well concealed against viewing the scene by any aliens. Suddenly, I have noticed a quite large gathering. People were split into groups: each group maintained social distance to the other. Those groups were lined along the road. And, fancy that, there was a beautiful dog (kept on leash) by a person in each group. The people were waiting for something.

As I'm very cautious about "dog vs. bike" now, I dramatically slowed down. And, reaching the end of the row, I asked the last dog-owner, a lady: "Is it a dog contest?!" -- "Yes, indeed!" -- she shouted back, and people around -- all in perfect mood -- started laughing and cheering! Oh! AN ILLEGAL GATHERING! Clandestine dog contest! Illicit because of lockdown! Haha! Now, think of it: the Kampinos Forest used to be the area to hold partisans, Home Army, secret nuclear command centre etc concealed at different times in history. Now, dog owners have illegally met to share the beauty of their pets there! :D
--------------
I was sitting at a bus shelter in Truskaw, and hoping for the raining could have eventually stopped. (Truskaw is one of entry points to the Kampinos National Park). Now, a car with a family (man, wife, and two teenager daughters) stopped by.

-- "Sir, can you direct us to the Educational Path?" -- the man asked -- "Err... Can't recollect it right now, so sorry!" -- I replied in confusion -- "You know what I mean" -- he insisted -- "The Educational Path, a series of wooden walkways above the morass. Which way should I drive to?" "Sir. I must appear stupid because I actually rode that Path twice but I cannot remember where it was! I apologise but I cannot help you". The car disappeared -- the pater familias tried his luck himself.

After several minutes I was ready to restart the ride. I continued southwards (through another nasty potty gravel road). Now, there is a car moving in the direction opposite to mine. The car stops, and a teenage girl shouts at me: "Sir, STOP!" The brakes of my Trance just squealed when I was suddenly stopping it.

-- "Can you direct us to the Educational Path, sir?" :D
-- "Yes. Now I can remember. Drive to the main road. Turn left. Go until the road ends; there will be a large parking area with rain shelters. That's the place where the Education Path begins!"

How could I be so dumb to forget that?! And, was it exactly the same car with the same family? :D

1620019593029.png

The KPN Educational Path. I was riding there twice, the last time on November 8th, 2020... :D

Last edited:
Now, let me tell you two stories from my May 1st ride I've completely forgotten about!

I was riding a narrow gravel road at the side of the forest; the road was well concealed against viewing the scene by any aliens. Suddenly, I have noticed a quite large gathering. People were split into groups: each group maintained social distance to the other. Those groups were lined along the road. And, fancy that, there was a beautiful dog (kept on leash) by a person in each group. The people were waiting for something.

As I'm very cautious about "dog vs. bike" now, I dramatically slowed down. And, reaching the end of the row, I asked the last dog-owner, a lady: "Is it a dog contest?!" -- "Yes, indeed!" -- she shouted back, and people around -- all in perfect mood -- started laughing and cheering! Oh! AN ILLEGAL GATHERING! Clandestine dog contest! Illicit because of lockdown! Haha! Now, think of it: the Kampinos Forest used to be the area to hold partisans, Home Army, secret nuclear command centre etc concealed at different times in history. Now, dog owners have illegally met to share the beauty of their pets there! :D
--------------
I was sitting at a bus shelter in Truskaw, and hoping for the raining could have eventually stopped. (Truskaw is one of entry points to the Kampinos National Park). Now, a car with a family (man, wife, and two teenager daughters) stopped by.

-- "Sir, can you direct us to the Educational Path?" -- the man asked -- "Err... Can't recollect it right now, so sorry!" -- I replied in confusion -- "You know what I mean" -- he insisted -- "The Educational Path, a series of wooden walkways above the morass. Which way should I drive to?" "Sir. I must appear stupid because I actually rode that Path twice but I cannot remember where it was! I apologise but I cannot help you". The car disappeared -- the pater familias tried his luck himself.

After several minutes I was ready to restart the ride. I continued southwards (through another nasty potty gravel road). Now, there is a car moving in the direction opposite to mine. The car stops, and a teenage girl shouts at me: "Sir, STOP!" The brakes of my Trance just squealed when I was suddenly stopping it.

-- "Can you direct us to the Educational Path, sir?" :D
-- "Yes. Now I can remember. Drive to the main road. Turn left. Go until the road ends; there will be a large parking area with rain shelters. That's the place where the Education Path begins!"

How could I be so dumb to forget that?! And, was it exactly the same car with the same family? :D

View attachment 86411
The KPN Educational Path. I was riding there twice, the last time on November 8th, 2020... :D
Hints of both of these..
the-woods-are-lovely-dark-and-deep----robert-frost-daniel-hagerman.jpg

Part of the newly completed path extending south from Albany to Hudson, NY. This section runs through several villages and some very attractive horse farms. NYS has really been doing a terrific job all over the state with the cycling infrastructure. Rode a very pleasant 30 miles on it this morning, out and back on the Yamaha.

1620066673522.jpeg

1620066721321.jpeg

Im pretty stoked about this, I grew up in cornwall and still have friends and relatives there, but its not very bike friendly unless you like getting run over by locals doing 60mph down narrow singeltrack roads.

Im not sure what they mean by offroad, but bridleways tend to be quite gnarly.
That coast has some of the most dramatic scenery in Europe outside of the viking lands.

The local gravel roads were certainly introspective yesterday morning - quiet, wet, and peaceful beneath a bipolar sky full of glowering dark rain clouds on one end, and a bright blue happy sky on the other. I decided to take my bike out on a short tour to see how my slightly sore knees were faring from that fast 50 mile ride (80 km) on the Vado the other weekend down on the Chesapeake Bay. I consider 3 hours fast for a 50, especially when the route is anything but flat. Who knew the lands along the western shore of the Bay could have so many steep rolling hills? I certainly didn't. Came home with white knuckles from threading (twice - one going to the ride, one coming back home) the vehicular madhouse that is the I495 beltway around Washington DC, and two sore knees from a very hilly section of the charity ride that I flew at a battery burning 23-27mph (37-43kph) enough to actually lap my friend G who was riding the 35 mile division (56 km) on her Vado at a more serene sightseeing pace. The area of the benefit ride was in her old stomping grounds so she was delighted to enter the ride with me so that we could tootle together for the first 13 miles before our routes split - at which point I took off like a bat outta hell - and the remaining 7 relaxed cool down miles to the finish.
Screenshot_20210504_064958_copy_768x776.jpg

I thought I'd given enough time for my knees to reach equilibrium before asking them to get back on the job. So I was a bit tentative at first, a bit too ready to react to any complaints from those opinionated joints, but once the first mile had rolled along under the smooth float of the carbon belt drive LaFree with nary a whisper from either knee, I settled in to take stock of the countryside still recovering from a major windstorm the other day. Tree debris in the form of sheared off tree limbs and branches littered the woodland sides of the roads. For miles. There had been numerous reports of trees down blocking most of the major roads out in our rural area during that fierce storm. The paved road blockages were dispatched by the state road crews, but the local population had taken chainsaws in hands and accomplished a quick removal of any and all obstacles on the gravel roads, not bothering to wait for the road crews which were already overwhelmed. As a result the gravel roads were thankfully unencumbered for passage, and any debris had been laid down by the winds had been kicked into the sides of the road for the county to clean up later...if they felt like it, that is.
IMG_20210503_100535_6_copy_612x816.jpg

I was in the mood to just relax and take my time. I have another benefit ride coming up in two weeks, this one with some serious hills for 40 miles, and unfortunately have spent precious little time on my bikes in lieu of two major projects on the farm that are demanding my time and energy. One project is complete, the other halfway finished. I put the second project on pause for the morning, and spent that time chasing the blue skies on the horizon while trying to ignore the blackened thunderstorms slowly encroaching over my shoulder. I was bound and determined to slowly outrace the rain without having my knees be any the wiser.

IMG_20210503_101549_8_copy_1305x979.jpg

At one time the public gravel roads used to lay claim to any lands they traveled. Not so much anymore with property rights taking precedence and lanes now becoming private driveways where once they simply truncated at the door of some estate house or farm. I suppose that the signage below - which is fairly new as it hadn't been there a few weeks ago - is testament that (for the non-locals) telling the difference between a public road and a private road can be a challenge at times. This estate owner was obviously trying the polite method of directing non-local traffic to the proper direction of the pubic road before slapping up a set of wrought iron gates to prevent unwarranted visits from lost motorists who, mistaking the driveway for the continuing road, would end up confused as to why the road suddenly landed them at someone's door instead of continuing its carefree tour the countryside. I guess I will see how successful the signs will be before those wrought iron gates are planted.
IMG_20210503_102820_3_copy_834x843.jpg

Surprisingly, there were still bits of unexpected early springtime color in the form of jonquils and daffodils still holding court alongside the roads, albeit in the deep shade where April tended to linger.
IMG_20210503_103326_7_copy_1198x683.jpg

Out in the hot sun it felt like early June, so I was grateful for any tree shade along my 13 mile loop. I was all by myself on these roads, the only vehicle to pass me at all was a truck and horse trailer going places unknown. That was it. The luxury of a blissfully peaceful morning belonged all to me and my bike. So I took my time, passing by the old familiar places, all looking fresh and new with mowed fields and lawns, fully leafed shrubs and flowers planted at entryways, and old fences sporting new boards just waiting to be painted. The gently humid air was thick with a musty scent of damp leaves, the dense bog plants already overcrowding the rushing creeks and streams, and the damp gravel under my tires. Just a small taste of June in May.

I was very happy to see that the happy chickens were back in full egg production, as the sign, once again in residence at the farm entrance for the rest of the summer parked next to the cooler holding those dozens of freshly laid eggs for sale, would have me believe. Next time I swing by the place I'll stop to buy a dozen and to leave an replacement egg carton as well.

IMG_20210503_103104_5_copy_799x896.jpg

By the time I rolled, happy and sated, onto my own road a mile from my farm, the blue skies and blistering sun had been conquered by that advancing army of thick gray and black clouds. The radar app on my phone warned that more rain was on the way. In fact it was starting to drizzle already. Time to put the bike away and get back to work.

Tomorrow promises to be just as nice for another getaway on the bike. You can be assured I have already talked myself into it with no dissenting opinions. The second project can afford an extra day to wait. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

IMG_20210503_105738_6_copy_828x986.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a comparison between Ride with GPS (current iPhone Pro) and latest Bosch Nyon…

View attachment 86412
  • 'Duration' includes coffee break!
  • Richard: Thanks for noticing Homage #2! Impressions to follow.
Here is a comparison between Strava and the display of my Lovelec Diadem :)
1620158240541.png

"Time" includes 15 minutes spent at a camera repair shop in Warsaw.

@David Berry: I've completely overlooked the fact you bought a new Homage! Congratulations!

And I Once Thought Warsaw Had Been So Remote...

Warsaw indeed feels a remote city if you need to drive out from my neighbourhood (especially during the rush hours). Taking a commuter train is not practical from where I live now. (From the old home, it took a quarter for walking to the train station, then 38 minutes ride when the train arrived, and then you had to take a tram or a bus in Warsaw to reach your destination). Now, Mapy.cz app has found a new, exciting and extremely safe bike route to Warsaw Wola quarter!

My Pentax K-1 camera and two good lenses were saved from the fire; alas all lens caps have been lost. Now I have found the aperture in my Sigma Art 35/1.4 lens stopped working! OK, there is a fine camera repair shop in Warsaw (they exclusively handle Pentax digital cameras, and can repair Sigma lenses, too). Mapy.cz app offered three alternative routes from my place to Wolska 69, WAW, and I chose the one that look outlandish to me :) Fancy that, just 19 kilometres one way, over completely empty gravel, dirt and asphalt roads, completed by good bike paths inside Warsaw!

1620159234808.png

Direct 'burbs of Warsaw, very near to city limits. I actually could see hares zooming through the fields! :D

1620160455811.png

It could be a nice Springtime ride if not stiff SSW wind...

Back