Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I don't want any trouble, but yes, I usually carry something, but as we noted in the 'dog spray' discussion, there's not really a great solution.

I do not believe in carrying firearms outside the home except in the most extreme circumstances (and yes, open or concealed firearm carry is illegal here) knives are legal for open carry but hard to use, pepper spray not great because of blowback (though some formulations/sprays have better range and might work) and stun guns are typically heavy and/or don't have range, but not bad as a weapon of last resort if powerful enough. Asps or batons would be best, but are not legal.

The mountain lions here don't bother people much-- there are only a few, and they do get quite near our house, but no one's had a problem. I chase coyotes sometimes, they are pretty easily hazed. The unhoused folks are down on their luck and while there are entire colonies of homeless bike thieves in Silverlake/Los Feliz-- and you can see many bikes there in various stages of disassembly-- these encampments did not have that feel to them. I am a psychotherapist, and I work with violent people sometimes-- I do have special training in anger management work-- so I'd almost always try conflict de-escalation first. These guys were a little scary, but they didn't have a predatory look; if there was conflict, it would due to mental illness or misunderstanding, which theoretically I am trained to handle.

My colleagues work in homeless outreach, I've had some homeless clients. These guys (and gals and gender nonconforming folks) have some fascinating stories sometimes. When you hear about their day-to-day lives, it's easier to understand why they don't stay in shelters. But yeah, I get scared, and I might use my carry if there were really, absolutely, and totally no other option.

A little off topic, but I'm curious what people are worried about while riding a bike. Can't you avoid/outrun any human except one in a car? You don't see many homeless/mentally ill people driving around bikejacking.

Now, getting chased by a bear on a bike, that would be terrifying! Apparently this happens occasionally to mountain bikers :eek:

I have been bikejacked, but not in half a century or so. Homeless people who are thieves generally go for locked bikes, but I wouldn't count on that.

The main problem with this route was being on a narrow path in a bad neighborhood with no escape to the right or left and a dead end between me and my destination. If two guys blocked my path, there would have been little I could do but negotiate, de-escalate, brandish, or fight-- and I'd rather AVOID, though I do kind of like the photos, even though I need to bring a point-and-shoot b/c my mobile phone camera is so bad. The bleakness of the surroundings has an eerie fascination.

I don't want any trouble, but yes, I usually carry something, but as we noted in the 'dog spray' discussion, there's not really a great solution.

I do not believe in carrying firearms outside the home except in the most extreme circumstances (and yes, open or concealed firearm carry is illegal here) knives are legal for open carry but hard to use, pepper spray not great because of blowback (though some formulations/sprays have better range and might work) and stun guns are typically heavy and/or don't have range, but not bad as a weapon of last resort if powerful enough. Asps or batons would be best, but are not legal.

The mountain lions here don't bother people much-- there are only a few, and they do get quite near our house, but no one's had a problem. I chase coyotes sometimes, they are pretty easily hazed. The unhoused folks are down on their luck and while there are entire colonies of homeless bike thieves in Silverlake/Los Feliz-- and you can see many bikes there in various stages of disassembly-- these encampments did not have that feel to them. I am a psychotherapist, and I work with violent people sometimes-- I do have special training in anger management work-- so I'd almost always try conflict de-escalation first. These guys were a little scary, but they didn't have a predatory look; if there was conflict, it would due to mental illness or misunderstanding, which theoretically I am trained to handle.

My colleagues work in homeless outreach, I've had some homeless clients. These guys (and gals and gender nonconforming folks) have some fascinating stories sometimes. When you hear about their day-to-day lives, it's easier to understand why they don't stay in shelters. But yeah, I get scared, and I might use my carry if there were really, absolutely, and totally no other option.
Better to have and not need. My daughter works with a lot of homeless and other such folks, is well known among them, and tells me she can park anywhere and never lock the car, but that would not apply to an unknown cyclist.

My colleagues work in homeless outreach, I've had some homeless clients. These guys (and gals and gender nonconforming folks) have some fascinating stories sometimes. When you hear about their day-to-day lives, it's easier to understand why they don't stay in shelters. But yeah, I get scared, and I might use my carry if there were really, absolutely, and totally no other i know all about mountain lions,

played hooky this morning, great weather for a ride.

47.2 mi / 76 km
4,249 feet climbed / 1,295m
14mph / 22.5kph average speed
used 136 wh (42.5% of internal battery)

View attachment 86250

View attachment 86252View attachment 86253View attachment 86254View attachment 86255View attachment 86256
Ive seen that bridge destroyed so many times.

I follow a 'German in Venice', he talks quite candidly to a lot of the homeless at Venice beach.
His last video amused me..he asked the guy if it was okay to put it on youtube..he replied 'Im always on youtube'.

A little off topic, but I'm curious what people are worried about while riding a bike. Can't you avoid/outrun any human except one in a car? You don't see many homeless/mentally ill people driving around bikejacking.

Now, getting chased by a bear on a bike, that would be terrifying! Apparently this happens occasionally to mountain bikers :eek:
Ive been attacked on the canal, it was weird because it was just feral kids throwing a barrage of large rocks at me from the otherside, they couldnt actually get at me, so I sped off.
Dont want to think what would have happened if Id been on their side.

Stop posting acoustic bikes, it makes my knees ache :)
Kinda hard to pedal this! 🤣

1619861255787.jpeg

27º North & South…

Kathmandu and Brisbane, that is. With one at 1400 m altitude and the other at sea level, the cities' weather at this time of year is much the same. And that is about where the similarity ends!

In 1988 World Expo was held in the Queensland capital. A rundown area to the south of the river was resumed for Expo 88 and subsequently into parklands. Today, a third of a century later, only one of the prefabricated pavilions remains: the Nepalese Pagoda.

South Bank Parklands Boardwalk

South Bank Parklands Boardwalk

Nepalese Pagoda : South Bank, Brisbane

Nepalese Pagoda : South Bank, Brisbane

Nepalese Pagoda
South Bank, Brisbane

Kathmandu, Nepal

Kathmandu, Nepal
January 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
@David Berry

I just realized you are riding the new 2021 dual power tube Homage now. Much better dual battery solution than that flimsy hinged cover with a heavy battery mounted on it in the last generation of the Homage. I see you went for the derailleur version as well, which has been my preference as well since my oil leak and four month wait for repair on the Rohloff. Making the "shift" from highly engineered, exotic and rare to more basic, common and readily repaired was an educational transition for me.

Which cassette and derailleur set up did you get on the new bike?

Did you get a travel cover for using the second battery cavity as storage bin on shorter rides?

I hope your are enjoying the new Nyon as much as I do.

Per spec sheet it looks like R&M addressed the flaws and issues common to the 2019 Homage. So glad they did that as the Homage concept is such a unique and special bike.

Atomic Rain Ride (4th Metric Century This Year)

The guy who designed my Saturday's (May 1st) ride route let me down. I got up at 4:22 a.m. to be ready for the group ride in Pruszków at 7:00 a.m. At 6:05 he sent me a message he would cancel the group ride because of raining :) Come on, man, I'll ride alone then! I didn't get up so early to waste the day!

1619940045593.png

Former Atomic Command Centre in the Kampinos National Park. The command centre -- to be used in the case of nuclear war -- had been constructed since early 1960s to become abandoned in 1980s (satellites made that kind of command centre obsolete). Buildings above the ground level got demolished in 2017, and the underground part has become the habitat for bats. In 2019, the site -- now important because of wild Nature (post-glacial sand dunes, their flora and fauna) -- has been made accessible to tourists.

1619940413749.png

Some pictures from the Atomic Command Centre site. Note: It was not raining yet.

1619940664706.png

In the futile search of the former 2nd Divizion site. FYI: In Warsaw Pact countries, a "divizion" was just an artillery battalion. Warsaw used to be surrounded by a circle of anti-aircraft rocket divizions, now it is the matter of the past long gone.

1619940908135.png

As I occasionally explain, Imperial Russia had a strong military in the "Vistula Land", or the Russian partition of Poland, and the Russian had built a multitude of forts before they became obsolete. 1909 saw a Russian bill to destroy all forts in the Vistula Land and the Russians actually did their best with last forts exploded in 1915. There was the Fortress Novogeorgiyevsk (now: Modlin) with a circle of remote forts. Here: Forts V and VII.

1619941277248.png

Exactly at the 40th mile of my ride, the 500 Wh battery went flat. I stopped at a place in the forest that was familiar to me (I seem to have already been everywhere there) to swap batteries, to recharge my "navigation" smartphone from a powerbank, and to put more (and dry) clothes on; it had been already raining for some hours.

1619941549590.png

A rest in Truskaw. Riding on asphalt or forest paths was a pleasure to me. However, two connecting roads (cobblestone, sand, and gravel -- full of potholes) made me very glad I "borrowed" my Trance E+ from Jacek for the weekend.

1619941729290.png

Mariew. Now, that's a story! On last Sunday, I was on a terrible metric century ride (wind!) To make the planned 100 km, I rode a 12-km "penalty round", just to Mariew here! I was so surprised to see the same place just six days later! :) And I was terribly hungry. See, May 1st is the Labor Day holiday in Poland (and May 3rd is the 1791 Constitution Day). Where to buy some food? Perhaps at some gas stations (all remote from Mariew). And then I recollected something... Just 1.1 km away...

1619942176498.png

...there was locally famous "Biker Pub". One of places beloved by Warsaw cyclists. And it was open! Ah... Two large pieces of apple-pie and warm tea did me really good :) (Bottom photo: Detox Phoenix Clinic, or my vaccination place).
1619942347606.png

Now, I didn't make 100 km on the route, so I rode for another "penalty round" in the neighbourhood I know so well! And I had 104+ km made soon! Why not to make 105 km? I just rode 140 m from my car parking place to take a photo of the DULAG 121 museum. After the collapse of the Warsaw Uprising 1944, the Nazi resettled all Warsaw survivors for either slave labour or to concentration camps. There was an intermediate camp in Pruszków (Durchsganglager 121), through which approximately 400 thousand people were transferred in 1944.

1619942770941.png

The detailed ride map of the most interesting part of the route.

1619942927085.png

My "penalty round" :)

1619943000729.png

The whole trip.

Last edited:

The guy who designed my Saturday's (May 1st) ride route let me down. I got up at 4:22 a.m. to be ready for the group ride in Pruszków at 7:00 a.m. At 6:05 he sent me a message he would cancel the group ride because of raining :) Come on, man, I'll ride alone then! I didn't get up so early to waste the day!

View attachment 86324
Former Atomic Command Centre in the Kampinos National Park. The command centre -- to be used in the case of nuclear war -- had been constructed since early 1960s to become abandoned in 1980s (satellites made that kind of command centre obsolete). Buildings above the ground level got demolished in 2017, and the underground part has become the habitat for bats. In 2019, the site -- now important because of wild Nature (post-glacial sand dunes, their flora and fauna) -- has been made accessible to tourists.

View attachment 86325
Some pictures from the Atomic Command Centre site. Note: It was not raining yet.

View attachment 86326
In the futile search of the former 2. Divizion site. FYI: In Warsaw Pact countries "divizion" was just an artillery battalion. Warsaw used to be surrounded by a circle of anti-aircraft rocket divizions, now it is the matter of the past long gone.

View attachment 86327
As I occasionally explain, Imperial Russia had a strong military in the "Vistula Land", or the Russian partition of Poland, and the Russian had built a multitude of forts before they became obsolete. 1909 saw a Russian bill to destroy all forts in the Vistula Land and the Russians actually did their best with last forts exploded in 1915. There was the Fortress Novogeorgiyevsk (now: Modlin) with a circle of remote forts. Here: Forts V and VII.

View attachment 86328
Exactly at the 40th mile of my ride, the 500 Wh battery went flat. I stopped at a place in the forest that was familiar to me (I seem to have already been everywhere there) to swap batteries, to recharge my "navigation" smartphone from a powerbank, and to put more (and dry) clothes on; it had been already raining for some hours.

View attachment 86329
A rest in Truskaw. Riding on asphalt or forest paths was a pleasure to me. However, two connecting roads (cobblestone, sand, and gravel -- full of potholes) made me very glad I "borrowed" my Trance E+ from Jacek for the weekend.

View attachment 86330
Mariew. Now, that's a story! On last Sunday, I was on a terrible metric century ride (wind!) To make the planned 100 km, I rode a 12-km "penalty round", just to Mariew here! I was so surprised to see the same place just six days later! :) And I was terribly hungry. See, May 1st is the Labor Day holiday in Poland (and May 3rd is the 1791 Constitution Day). Where to buy some food? Perhaps at some gas stations (all remote from Mariew). And then I recollected something... Just 1.1 km away...

View attachment 86331
...there was locally famous "Biker Pub". One of places beloved by Warsaw cyclists. And it was open! Ah... Two large pieces of apple-pie and warm tea made me really good :) (Bottom photo: Detox Phoenix Clinic, or my vaccination place).View attachment 86332
Now, I didn't make 100 km on the route, so I rode for another "penalty round" in the neighbourhood I know so well! And I had 104+ km made soon! Why not to make 105 km? I just rode 140 m from my car parking place to take a photo of the DULAG 121 museum. After the collapse of the Warsaw Uprising 1944, the Nazi resettled all Warsaw survivors for either slave labour or to concentration camps. There was an intermediate camp in Pruszków (Durchsganglager 121), through which approximately 400 thousands people were transferred in 1944.

View attachment 86333

View attachment 86334

View attachment 86335
The whole trip.
Looks like you need to wear a dosimeter on that ride!

1619958288483.png

@Stefan Mikes Well done for getting out in those awful conditions, great effort to get your 100km ride done!👍

I didn't quite manage my 50 miler due to time constraints but I'm more than happy with almost 43 miles! I had been looking at many different routes yesterday but couldn't make up my mind which was best so I just set off and made it up as I went! I was actually feeling quite strong today so I tackled some big climbs and was rewarded with this awesome descent where I hit 37.9mph, I have gone 10mph faster down this descent on my e bike! ;)

1619959162023.jpeg

The descent continues after this flatter part!

1619959259503.jpeg

This is just over 1000ft and just before the lovely descent!

1619959492887.jpeg

Of course after the downhill fun comes the uphill pain, I'm sure my legs will be hurting tomorrow!;) The next 2 days are looking pretty awful anyway so it will be a chance to rest my legs! I'm really loving the old hybrid but I will be glad to get my e bike back to enjoy the hills again!:p The bracket broke on my front mudguard but I always carry some cable ties and it was an easy fix after I noticed my first effort was in vain!🤣 Spot my stupidity, the bars need to turn...;)

1619960282786.jpeg

Attachments

• elevation_profile282.jpg
    elevation_profile282.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 220
  • trip-66519812-map-full197.png
    trip-66519812-map-full197.png
    417.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 20210502_083533.jpg
    20210502_083533.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 20210502_083538.jpg
    20210502_083538.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 20210502_094938.jpg
    20210502_094938.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 20210502_094958.jpg
    20210502_094958.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 20210502_100656.jpg
    20210502_100656.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 230
  • 20210502_100702.jpg
    20210502_100702.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 20210502_100711.jpg
    20210502_100711.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 20210502_100816.jpg
    20210502_100816.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 20210502_101746.jpg
    20210502_101746.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 20210502_101857.jpg
    20210502_101857.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 233

View attachment 86324

View attachment 86325

View attachment 86326
In the futile search of the former 2nd Divizion site. FYI: In Warsaw Pact countries, a "divizion" was just an artillery battalion. Warsaw used to be surrounded by a circle of anti-aircraft rocket divizions, now it is the matter of the past long gone.

View attachment 86327

View attachment 86328

View attachment 86329

View attachment 86330

View attachment 86331
...there was locally famous "Biker Pub". One of places beloved by Warsaw cyclists. And it was open! Ah... Two large pieces of apple-pie and warm tea did me really good :) (Bottom photo: Detox Phoenix Clinic, or my vaccination place).View attachment 86332
Now, I didn't make 100 km on the route, so I rode for another "penalty round" in the neighbourhood I know so well! And I had 104+ km made soon! Why not to make 105 km? I just rode 140 m from my car parking place to take a photo of the DULAG 121 museum. After the collapse of the Warsaw Uprising 1944, the Nazi resettled all Warsaw survivors for either slave labour or to concentration camps. There was an intermediate camp in Pruszków (Durchsganglager 121), through which approximately 400 thousand people were transferred in 1944.

View attachment 86333

View attachment 86334

View attachment 86335
The whole trip.
"Penalty lap" sounds so negative, Stefan... Perhaps you should call it the "finish lap", or "fulfillment lap", or "completion lap" 😉. After all, it's not your fault the course is short 🤣!

"Penalty lap" sounds so negative, Stefan... Perhaps you should call it the "finish lap", or "fulfillment lap", or "completion lap" 😉. After all, it's not your fault the course is short 🤣!
Well, I was referring to Biathlon, in which you have to make a penalty lap for any shot missed :)

Back