Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

not a single ride, but two short and one long ride on the southern Oregon Coast. tagged along with some lifelong friends on a golf trip - i don’t golf but a round of golf takes around the same time as a nice long bike ride, and the refreshments and entertainment after are compatible!

View attachment 109849

Ride 1: pouring rain, around 40-45f, mud, sticks, branches, pine needles, etc on the roads. my route included a short stretch of US-101, which has a shoulder suitable for bikes but unfortunately said shoulder was covered in some sort of very slimy, slippery bright green moss. in the wet conditions, i fell twice going in a straight line with nearly no traction whatsoever! Following that, i got off the big road for a serious of steep windy forest roads which had terrible paving conditions, huge potholes, totally covered in mud etc. a very challenging ride, which i cut short at about 28 miles, essentially as soon as i could figure out a safe way home! turned the creo’s motor on a few times on very steep sections, although the limited traction had me leery of any major efforts!

among the best of the road conditions!

View attachment 109854

a very dirty bike, but not as dirty as it had been before a downpour rinsed it off.

View attachment 109855

Ride 2: the weather cleared a bit, and i set off for a longer ride to the nearby coastal town of Coos Bay and back. A few of my selected roads turned out to be unpaved, so it wasn’t as much of a loop as i hoped. while the roads were still wet and dirty in spots, it was a beautiful day with changing skies, some sunlight, and even rainbows! total distance, 62.62 miles (a metric century!) and 4,429 feet of elevation in a bit under four hours. no battery usage at all - although there were rolling climbs, for the most part roads in this part of the world have been built with shallower grades than around San Francisco.

better conditions!

View attachment 109858

The Oregon coast, and rainbows!
View attachment 109859 View attachment 109860 View attachment 109861 View attachment 109862

Everything is so green!
View attachment 109863

Bridge over one of many Sloughs around Charleston and Coos Bay
View attachment 109864

Ride 3: an easy inland loop ride for a lovely morning. Unfortunately i misjudged the weather a bit, and although it was partly clear and not raining, i rode through a fast section of cold mist and found my hands very, very cold… going from cold to painfully cold to some mixture of numb and painfully cold. not much choice but to soldier on, but shifting and braking became clumsy, and when i arrived back at the hotel, I could not unclip my helmet for over 15 minutes. the normally easy act of squeezing the plastic clip was impossible - no matter how/what i tried my fingers could not generate the small force required! it was comical!

beautiful wetlands
View attachment 109866

chilly mist
View attachment 109867

all in all, an interesting couple days of riding.
Gorgeous I'd video the sxxx out of that 😄

I had to look up Bovril. It’s doesn’t sound good but maybe it’s like Veggimite(sp?), you have to develop a taste.
Yes, it’s a Beef paste that can be used for cooking and to make a drink, similar to Vegemite or Marmite, (but these are Yeast based).

Strange, although similar in taste, I can’t stand Marmite, but love Bovril.

643D8584-8270-480F-8045-54548CE11B0E.jpeg

I have posted a video of a 290km ride I undertook with friends during March 2020 (completed one week before NZ's first Covid-19 lock down). The starting point is about 200km west of Christchurch, in the Southern Alps.

The video can be found via the link shown in my recent Day Trips in the Countryside around Christchurch NZ post. Or directly:

The direct link to the video is:
Day Trips

Three of the group were riding e-bikes.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Today’s ride brought with it more snow in the morning but it didn’t last long. It was another relatively mild albeit overcast day with the temperature hovering around -8C. Pretty decent IMO but much colder and snowier days are expected over the holidays and that wintry forecast will likely extend well into the new year. The city crews as usually were out and about keeping the pathways cleared of snow which makes getting to the trails that much easier on the legs.

IMG_20211222_1510077.jpg

Long sections of the double track at Riverbend were neatly groomed for the XC skiers so I was mindful to keep to the sides where most of the foot traffic was. There’s an unwritten rule not to disturb these ski runs but I find that most walking along here don’t necessarily follow the same protocol.

IMG_20211222_1409434.jpg

IMG_20211222_1409585.jpg

I stopped at a bench at the top of the trail and noticed ducks congregating at section of the river that wasn’t frozen over. This section of the river is narrower and generally runs fast so it’s not too surprising to see it stay in its present state all winter long.

IMG_20211222_1429498.jpg

IMG_20211222_1451234.jpg

IMG_20211222_1435475.jpg

I plopped myself on the bench and indulged in a semi-frozen honey stinger waffle, one of my favorite trail snacks. Even the birds were lucky enough get a treat along the Riverbend Trail.

IMG_20211222_1418371.jpg

IMG_20211222_1425149.jpg

IMG_20211222_1426435.jpg

I tried gaining access to the Pines singletrack on the way home but the snow was too deep so I was forced to turn back.

IMG_20211221_1459422.jpg

Warmest wishes to everyone during the holiday season! 🎅

I have posted a video of a 290km ride I undertook with friends during March 2020 (completed one week before NZ's first Covid-19 lock down). The starting point is about 200km west of Christchurch, in the Southern Alps.

The video can be found via the link shown in my recent Day Trips in the Countryside around Christchurch NZ post. Or directly:

Chch Day Trips

Cheers

Peter
Bravo!

@Prairie Dog

"There’s an unwritten rule not to disturb these ski runs but I find that most walking along here don’t necessarily follow the same protocol." Yes, and we'd like to string them up.

Years ago, a friend and I broke about eight miles to deep track with our skis. On the second day, we were passed by an older couple (now I'm that age) on snowmobiles. We caught then half an hour later. The snow was too deep and they were bucking. They could only have come as far as they did by obliterating our previous days trail breaking! :mad: It was not a fun trip back out on their crappy snowmobile track.

Wet and green…

Cattle Country : Wanora, Brisbane Hinterland

Wanora, Brisbane Hinterland
A gentle ride from home was in order this morning. I stopped on the edge of Pine Mountain Road but did not dare to venture through the grass for fear of disturbing any wildlife of the slithering variety.

Same again tomorrow.

The ride out today was a bit warmer, being around 6oC and with wind chill, around 4oC. However, I did take the opportunity to try out some new Goretex mittens today as I have been suffering with cold fingers. They are well made and have what appears to be an inner pair of built in gloves. My fingers were not roasting, but then, they didn’t feel cold at all. It will be interesting to see what they’re like when the temperature is around freezing.

FYI, this is what Gore state:
Product Details
  • GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ fabrics with GORE® WINDSTOPPER® product technology: totally windproof, extremely breathable and durably water resistant, lightweight protection
  • GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ Stretch Glove product technology
  • Touchscreen sensitive material on thumb and pointer finger tips
  • Split construction: thumb and pointer finger are separated
  • Insulated pointer finger
  • 3-finger compartment for increased warmth
  • Silicone printing for increased grip
  • Neoprene cuff
  • Reflective details
Decided to take a look round Buckingham today, found a nice park in the centre of the town with plenty of cycle paths, so it was interesting exploring these. Didn’t take any photos as it was very misty and you couldn’t see much. But will go back and explore further next time and hopefully get some photos.

Had a snack break at a small wooded area at a place called Coombs.

2503DA46-EB80-4E81-8909-7FBBDBE600D1.jpeg
72B29085-65F8-4795-A39B-563A5FD44346.jpeg
4E4B473D-5D93-4AD1-B988-926690F4B7A8.jpeg
BAD9DB4C-727A-4BFA-AAC2-6E7E30B346BB.jpeg

Back