Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Early morning ride…

Riese & Müller Homage Touring

5:00 am; 9 km
Wanora; Brisbane Valley RT

Spider near Fernvale, QLD

5:20 am; 14 km
Orb-weaver Spider (Genus: Eriophora; Species: ?)
Fernvale; Brisbane Valley RT

Fernvale, Queensland

5:30 am; 16 km
Fernvale; Brisbane Valley RT

Saturday's one-hour-out (and the same back) ride with my TOP Cycling group started at Lowood next to the Brisbane River.

Being a local, I started from home shortly before sunrise (4:48 am today; sunset 6:42 pm) and rode the 24 km to the start, most of it through countryside like that above. (At 75 km on map, but actually 16 km into the ride rather than on the return.)

Interestingly, today was the first time that we were stopped at the entrance to a café (Lowood's Coffee in the Park) and required to display our digital 'fully vaccinated' certificates before being served. The 'new normal': no certificate = no entry (from this weekend, the state government is enforcing severe restrictions on the unvaxxed).

I am not sure of the orb-weaver spider's identity. I also don't know whether the droplets are goo to catch insects or dew (the former, I guess). Yes, the photo is the right way up! The cute little thing might just have fitted in the palm of my hand (didn't want to scare it, though); it's web (mostly out of the picture) was more than a metre across.

Easy riding all the way with a mirror-perfect elevation profile:

TOP Cycling Saturday Ride

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded a new route from Kamoot and tried that today.

A chilly day and some ear warmers were needed.

Part of it was on roads that we know, but there were some new roads that we haven’t been on before.

The memorial was where we had our picnic lunch at Botolph Claydon and the windmill is in Quainton.

33E8D0C7-B80B-49F3-A5FD-AF9DE134E38D.jpeg
81D4A8CA-0BD6-45EE-95CF-9CFE757576A3.jpeg
6D6F8A41-253B-42D0-82AF-D9CA0EF011C3.jpeg
FBA900D8-3395-4891-9E08-2623C1D4FB33.jpeg

Early this week Virginia's excellent Governor Dr. Ralph Northam while discussing the state budget spoke for some time about one inclusion...Approx. $20 million for the expansion of greenways. As an example he talked at length about the Capitol Trail which runs along the James River from Jamestown to Richmond...approximately 50 miles. He cited as an example economic and health data. So on Friday with temperatures approaching 70f I took my Bike to the trail first stopping at the bike rest area off I295 and route 5 just east of Richmond VA. The giant bike was found there. I took the car further down Rt. 5 and unloaded at Charles City for my little jaunt. I found riding the trail itself less interesting than my home range where the topography is folds and curves rather than the straight rather flat Capitol Trail. I did enjoy my stop in Charles City where I had a fine lunch at The Polar Express which is where the Alpaca was.
IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    562.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    551.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    760.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    735.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    513.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 117
I did want to mention I saw my first ‘in the wild’ ebike…a DaVinci two-fer. After my ride I rolled back to my car and found them attempting to load the unwieldy bike into a pickup with camper top. They were ancient (I’m 72) and using a 2x4 as a ramp. I would have taken a picture if I hadn’t felt the need to help. Afterwards when I pointed out my ebike the very old man snorted and said electrons were everywhere. What an outing for those two.

Strava Is Telling Me...

...to collect my 2021 Achievement Report now. Hey! But the year's hasn't ended yet, and I still miss 122 km to match the 2020 @RabH's distance ridden! :D Still, 2021 was my best cycling (e-biking) year, not only in terms of the riding intensity but also the number and quality of adventures experienced!

It is hard to pick just one "the best ride of 2021" for me. Was it my first and the only Imperial Century, when I rode "just to take a swim in Pilica River"? Or my "The Most Remote Southeast Road Point of Poland" ride, perceived by Strava as the hardest one? Or the "Crossed the "Green Border" via a Hiking Trail"? Too many adventures!

If I were to pick just one 2021 adventure, that would be the...
Around the Kłodzko Valley (Mon Aug 9th, 2021)

It was a mountain ride together with my brother Jacek, where we visited famous Lądek-Zdrój spa, did our hardest climb at the Śnieżnik Massif (Jacek won his e-bike King of Mountain title there), and almost starved to death if we hadn't found a pizzeria at the most remote ride point :) It was the day on which we both utilized our e-bikes to the max! Jacek was a first time Garmin Edge 530 user, and he was scaring me with the information on upcoming and current climbs all the way up! :)

1639984757590.png

Well, 2021 has not ended yet, Strava!

A ride down to the sea…

Moreton Bay seen from Nudgee Beach, Brisbane

Moreton Bay, Brisbane
8:30 am; 65 km
The mangroves were getting their feet wet this morning, but I resisted the temptation!

Coffee and a large breakfast sandwich at Pam's Café seemed like a better idea. And after: the long ride back to Brisbane's westernmost suburbs, to be accomplished before my self-imposed midday deadline for summer rides. (Made it with ten minutes to spare!)

1640007857791.png

Yesterday we were fogged in all day, thankfully today it was just misty and no ice! Of course part way into my ride the fog descended again but it wasn't as thick as yesterday thankfully so it was fine to proceed! Eventually I had to remove my glasses to see where I was going, it was a day for screen wipers ;) It was a real bonus being able to use the quiet back roads with no sign of ice anywhere, it really was a fun ride with a lot of climbing and descending once again!

I didn't think I would get any photos today due to the conditions but I was very relieved when the fog finally lifted and visibility returned to normal 👍 With roads like this to enjoy I was so glad to see the back of the mist and fog, only for the last 30 minutes of my ride but I wasn't complaining!

1640008364660.png

I only need another 40 miles to reach 5,000 for the year so unless the weather takes a real turn for the worse it should be achieved in the coming days, I'm way down on last year though but I'm happy considering what I have gone through this year! Over to @Stefan Mikes now to try and trump last years total of 6,223 miles 😛

@DiggyGun I would recommend a skull cap which can be worn under your helmet, I have used them through the Scottish winters for many years and swear by them!

Attachments

• elevation_profile22.jpg
    elevation_profile22.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 118
  • trip-80203900-map-full22.png
    trip-80203900-map-full22.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20211220_105127.jpg
    20211220_105127.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211220_105130.jpg
    20211220_105130.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211220_105144.jpg
    20211220_105144.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20211220_105150.jpg
    20211220_105150.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211220_105155.jpg
    20211220_105155.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211220_105218.jpg
    20211220_105218.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 112
I only need another 40 miles to reach 5,000 for the year so unless the weather takes a real turn for the worse it should be achieved in the coming days, I'm way down on last year though but I'm happy considering what I have gone through this year! Over to @Stefan Mikes now to try and trump last years total of 6,223 miles 😛
Only 85 km left to go after today's lunch ride! :) I rode to a jeweller in Grodzisk Mazowiecki to buy a little Xmas gift for my daughter. Snowing first, then turning to clear skies with temperature going down and with very strong wind. I could see positive things, too: More roads have been reconstructed and more bike paths are available in the area!

@DiggyGun I would recommend a skull cap which can be worn under your helmet, I have used them through the Scottish winters for many years and swear by them!

Funny you should say that. I just recently bought a GoreTex Beanie Skull Cap and it’s great.

This is the one that I got
30D62AE3-9DEE-4732-A7E4-AFFF620DECE9.jpeg

The only thing I need to sort out now is cold hands. I’ve got some GoreTex Windstopper / thermal gloves. But on their own they’re not quite warm enough. So I’ve ordered a pair of GoreTex Lobster style mittens in a larger size so that I can wear them over the first pair of gloves.

Last edited:
Strava Is Telling Me...

...to collect my 2021 Achievement Report now. Hey! But the year's hasn't ended yet, and I still miss 122 km to match the 2020 @RabH's distance ridden! :D Still, 2021 was my best cycling (e-biking) year, not only in terms of the riding intensity but also the number and quality of adventures experienced!

It is hard to pick just one "the best ride of 2021" for me. Was it my first and the only Imperial Century, when I rode "just to take a swim in Pilica River"? Or my "The Most Remote Southeast Road Point of Poland" ride, perceived by Strava as the hardest one? Or the "Crossed the "Green Border" via a Hiking Trail"? Too many adventures!

It was a mountain ride together with my brother Jacek, where we visited famous Lądek-Zdrój spa, did our hardest climb at the Śnieżnik Massif (Jacek won his e-bike King of Mountain title there), and almost starved to death if we hadn't found a pizzeria at the most remote ride point :) It was the day on which we both utilized our e-bikes to the max! Jacek was a first time Garmin Edge 530 user, and he was scaring me with the information on upcoming and current climbs all the way up! :)

View attachment 109623

Come on, Stefan! Get those last kms in! You can do it 😍🤩😍!

I tried the National Cycle Route No. 50 today. This runs from the Claydons in Buckinghamshire to Leicester.

I did the bit from Buckingham, past Stowe and into a bit of Northamptonshire. Although rural roads and not a lot of traffic, but it was a bit boring.

The weather was chilly with some drizzle when I started, but this did ease off as the ride commenced.

On the way, Stowe House and the Corinthian Arch looked nice. The house was finished in 1683 and the memorial arch was built in 1765.

Had lunch at Biddlesden, but couldn’t find anywhere to sit unfortunately. There was a local church, which are usually a good place to find some seats. But this one was on a private locked estate. However, the Gatehouse did look nice
A4E16D41-C99D-4C8B-9F52-3896873FFB39.jpeg
1EDB6B85-D89C-4389-9A30-671331DEF6C3.jpeg
E7DC864B-5DE5-4B99-8D17-E74B2D054D06.jpeg
BF890E7C-F84E-48F2-9388-4C684900449E.jpeg
DB7396FA-5F5F-46CF-A49A-5707F64D0E20.jpeg

A ride down to the sea…

View attachment 109635
Moreton Bay, Brisbane
8:30 am; 65 km
The mangroves were getting their feet wet this morning, but I resisted the temptation!

Coffee and a large breakfast sandwich at Pam's Café seemed like a better idea. And after: the long ride back to Brisbane's westernmost suburbs, to be accomplished before my self-imposed midday deadline for summer rides. (Made it with ten minutes to spare!)
But it is not Summer till tomorrow or, ahem, is it already tomorrow down there? :p

Strava Is Telling Me...

View attachment 109623

I misses that that Klodzko trip, thats a really good one.
That pizza!!

I tried the National Cycle Route No. 50 today. This runs from the Claydons in Buckinghamshire to Leicester.

I did the bit from Buckingham, past Stowe and into a bit of Northamptonshire. Although rural roads and not a lot of traffic, but it was a bit boring.

The weather was chilly with some drizzle when I started, but this did ease off as the ride commenced.

On the way, Stowe House and the Corinthian Arch looked nice. The house was finished in 1683 and the memorial arch was built in 1765.

Had lunch at Biddlesden, but couldn’t find anywhere to sit unfortunately. There was a local church, which are usually a good place to find some seats. But this one was on a private locked estate. However, the Gatehouse did look nice View attachment 109661View attachment 109662View attachment 109664View attachment 109665View attachment 109666
Yes..got on on the bike in the Lakes today, very dank and cloudy, only about 3 hours of useful light for the camera.
Winter blues

As I wrote elsewhere, my bike had chain/derailleur problems so yesterday's ride was shortlived

A quite truncated 9.6 miles. The chain jumped the tracks. The chain jumped the tracks. The chain.... You get the idea. Apparently a bent derailleur hanger lead to a misalignment leading to "the chain jumped the tracks" REPEATEDLY

And don't count on the AAA to bail you out on a chilly day with sunset closing in. Two hour predicted wait. A friend was quicker.

But I guess there are less picturesque places to breakdown although I was quite frozen when the bailout arrived.

The Fremont Bridge which has a bicycle counter, the reason said bridge was open and the breakdown location. If I recall the counter was at 416 (non-commute Sunday)

Chain.jpg

PXL_20211219_211129733.jpg

PXL_20211219_211106731.jpg

PXL_20211219_211100289.jpg

PXL_20211219_232110298-.jpg

Attachments

• Chain.jpg
    Chain.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 108
As I wrote elsewhere, my bike had chain/derailleur problems so yesterday's ride was shortlived

A quite truncated 9.6 miles. The chain jumped the tracks. The chain jumped the tracks. The chain.... You get the idea. Apparently a bent derailleur hanger lead to a misalignment leading to "the chain jumped the tracks" REPEATEDLY

We had a similar problem with my Wife’s bike, a Wisper 705 with a Shimano Tourney rear Derailleur.

Hers was bent outwards and no matter what gear the lever was in, it was always in third gear and then jumped as she tried to change gear.

When we got it home, I gave it a good clean, found the problem, googled how to fix it. Basically, bending it back into shape so that it eventually worked through all the gears. Took a while, but got there in the end.

When it goes in for its yearly service, (as it came with a service plan), I will get the LBS to change for stronger, better quality one, (if there is such a thing).

In the meantime, we’ve had no further issues with it.

We had a similar problem with my Wife’s bike, a Wisper 705 with a Shimano Tourney rear Derailleur.

Hers was bent outwards and no matter what gear the lever was in, it was always in third gear and then jumped as she tried to change gear.

When we got it home, I gave it a good clean, found the problem, googled how to fix it. Basically, bending it back into shape so that it eventually worked through all the gears. Took a while, but got there in the end.

When it goes in for its yearly service, (as it came with a service plan), I will get the LBS to change for stronger, better quality one, (if there is such a thing).

In the meantime, we’ve had no further issues with it.
It is not an issue I have ever faced. Now that I know about it, it could probably have been re-bent to, at least, get me home. But I know folks have said that if the chain did not match the WAVE tech teeth it could jump. And also the clutch can be an issue. So BENT derailleur was not in my thoughts. But I was cursing up a storm on an otherwise pretty clear day!

It is not an issue I have ever faced. Now that I know about it, it could probably have been re-bent to, at least, get me home. But I know folks have said that if the chain did not match the WAVE tech teeth it could jump. And also the clutch can be an issue. So BENT derailleur was not in my thoughts. But I was cursing up a storm on an otherwise pretty clear day!
kahn:
A day in Autumn 2019. Lech and Anita come to my place. They are quite excited to try an e-bike ride. Anita is delighted: (She liked e-bike so much she eventually bought a Como 5.0 later). Lech? After 100 m ridden he manages to bend the derailleur hanger in my Lovelec... (While waiting for the replacement, I bought a Vado. And so I am here :D)

Last edited:
Back