Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

It's certainly to be expected a tire like the Ice Spiker will outperform any studded fat tire on glare ice. You may have trouble getting to the lake in the first place, however. The fat tires can do both.... :p
How exactly fat are the tyres on the Triaero of yours? What Triaero model is it?

I'm really glad to see there are some people (such as you or Chargeride) who ride fat tyres where they really belong... :)

Out riding in the dunes before it is all covered in snow.

IMG_20211214_104730855.jpg

Thanks! I spent some time near there last year--Lake Easton State Park:

View attachment 109327

I think Cabin Creek is just across this bridge:

View attachment 109328

Might be time for another road trip. It's too warm on this side of the mountains for good snow....
Ah, yes, at least, close. Which side of the mountains are you? East or west? I'm Seattle. I hear it is snowing in Auburn this morning. When it does snow here, it becomes a real issue trying to get out of the hilly city. And then, it seems to mean that I-90 will close due to spin-outs. Years ago, in my youth, I did ski, jog and bike around Greenlake one snowy day. I don't do stuff like that anymore. I did manage a ski around it last Winter.

How exactly fat are the tyres on the Triaero of yours? What Triaero model is it? :)
It's an SN04 I built from the frame up. Those are 26X4.6" Wrathchilds. Pretty fantastic traction over any surface. About their only weak spot is when the snow gets too deep/soft, some of the fatter tires will do better with a bit more float, but they're about as big as will comfortably fit on the rear of that bike. I've got a set of 26X5.0" Johnny 5's for my E06--it should be a good amount more capable when things get really deep (Bafangroid injected legs won't hurt either!).

Which side of the mountains are you? East or west? I'm Seattle. I hear it is snowing in Auburn this morning. When it does snow here, it becomes a real issue trying to get out of the hilly city. And then, it seems to mean that I-90 will close due to spin-outs.
Same for me, I'm stuck in Everett until I can get my house built in Montana. For playing in the snow, the other side of the mountains is usually a better place to do it, but you risk getting stranded there on any given day. Rainy/slushy/wet snow isn't much fun...

At home amongst the palm trees…

Scarborough, Redcliffe Peninsula

Redcliffe Peninsula
9:40 am; 75km (46km to go)
Australians aren't given to flying flags outside their houses, so it's certainly appreciated when someone lets cyclists know by how much they need to increase their effort (or assistance level) when the wind 'gets up' from the wrong direction on the way home.

I think we all know who this photo is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am NOT stuck in the mud!

Australasian Swamphen

Australasian Swamphen chick (Porphyrio melanotus)
Moreton Bay Cycleway, Nudgee Wetlands
111 km; 11:40 am
With the temperatures creeping up, I've resolved to finish every ride by midday.

Mixed success. On Sunday I rode from home and, as it was a medium length ride (80 km), I was back by 10 am. Monday and Wednesday were each half as long again but on both occasions I missed the finish-before-you're-fried deadline by fifteen or twenty minutes. Not that I minded in the least!

On Monday's ride, as I was entering the Boondall Wetlands, I was hollered by my friends Rolf and Ursula with whom I had ridden many times in pre-ebike days. Now in their early eighties, they are riding Specialized ebikes. Splendid! The delay was caused by chatting, not slow pedalling. They rode right on our 25 km/h EU-imposed limit often drifting above (without assist).

And so to Wednesday: the same route but with a gentle tailwind all the way north. Of course, that meant a headwind of increasing intensity on the return trip (see the Polish flag above), but I knew I could make it back to the car before noon!

As I crossed the boardwalk marking the end of the wetlands area (10 km to go!), a family of swamphens passed beneath. There was no way of continuing: I had to stop! By the time I was off the Homage and ready to take their photo only one straggler was visible about twenty metres away, plodding doggedly (appropriate word?) in its parents' footsteps. Worth the delay, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
At home amongst the palm trees…

View attachment 109402
Redcliffe Peninsula
9:40 am; 75km (46km to go)
Australians aren't given to flying flags outside their houses, so it's certainly appreciated when someone lets cyclists know by how much they need to increase their effort (or assistance level) when the wind 'gets up' from the wrong direction on the way home.

I think we all know who this photo is for.
What kind of PALMS? They seem to have thinner fronds than most I've seen.

At last, we got out today on the bikes after a couple of weeks of being indoors now. First we had an icy and cold snap with a wind chill of -3oC. Then I had a stinking cold for a week or so, but feeling better now, I’m pleased to report.

We had a nice ride the countryside of North Buckinghamshire and here are some photos of the area;

Horwood House in Little Horwood
2FF8F380-227C-4EE1-B12A-694AA8D4D230.jpeg

Claydon House in Middle Claydon
319326C0-C75F-4445-A1DB-6DDFBB368201.jpeg

St Mary the Virgin Church in East Claydon
51447534-8BF2-4107-B68A-9C1D078A5C6E.jpeg

We also noticed that we’ve had a visit from the Tree Vandals near to where we live
C720ABCD-705E-4A3C-8111-5527A75699E5.jpeg

It was really nice to get out today after being cooped up inside for a while. Fortunately, the Wife has the next two days off, so we’ll be out again enjoying ourselves
C4D2B60F-D788-4CE6-9CA6-2FBD8254E553.jpeg

5B4C847F-E638-450D-B64B-7ECDC6EDAB21.jpeg

Australians aren't given to flying flags outside their houses
Same in Poland. You will see our national flags on national holidays only. However, many businesses here fly their company flags outside, and that really makes easy to understand the wind direction and strength. You will also find many little windmill generators with weather vane, also helpful although depressing at times... :)

Ive noticed a lot more Union Jacks going up, theres a few around here

The England flag does get flown, but having one outside of the world cup pretty well labels you a nazi.....
which is pretty odd when you think about it.

Ive noticed a lot more Union Jacks going up, theres a few around here

The England flag does get flown, but having one outside of the world cup pretty well labels you a nazi.....
which is pretty odd when you think about it.
Don't get cross at me but I perceive the UK as the country with the least respect towards their own national flag. I attribute it to the specific British sense of humor though :)

Its not a forum for politics, but the non sport English flag has been placed on the cover of the book of racists, the unwashed and isolationists.
You can guess who engineered it all.

Brexit was almost entirely based on snobbery, we fell out with each other..not with Europe

Its not a forum for politics, but the non sport English flag has been placed on the cover of the book of racists, the unwashed and isolationists.
You can guess who engineered it all.

Brexit was almost entirely based on snobbery, we fell out with each other..not with Europe
You're right, no politics in this Forum!
Let me enjoy your adventures!
I'm forced to disagree with you Stefan. Consider my local circumstances
It is not I disagree. I simply didn't think of the Confederate flag at the moment. Bear in mind England is close to my heart as my gf lives there. And no politics in this Forum!

1639751420264.png

Just another local ride today in perfect conditions for the time of year, 4C and no wind made for a very enjoyable ride! I had most of the roads to myself and had a real blast, I'm so lucky to have such amazing roads virtually on my doorstep! I'm certainly missing my longer rides but I should be happy that I can get out at this time of year so I'm not complaining!

The Campsie Hills were looking great in the sun, no sign of that where I was! ;)

1639751784887.png

The roads are filthy at this time of year but my mudguards do a wonderful job, in all the years I have been cycling on this particular road I have only ever met one vehicle and had to pull over to let it through! Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by saying that! 🤣 I was so tempted to turn right here as its an amazing descent with lots of twists and turns but I had promised my dad I would be back at a certain time...another day!

1639751897374.png

Its very narrow as you can see here!

1639752353228.png

Thankfully the threatened mist didn't make an appearance, it seemed to prefer the hills today!

1639752530722.png

The weather is looking promising next week so hopefully I can complete my 5,000 miles, only 82 to go! My favourite day (Sunday) may be foggy though and if so, I will give it a miss! Its going to be freezing again so the back roads won't be an option...we may even have a white Christmas as they are forecasting some snow for Christmas Eve!

Attachments

• elevation_profile20.jpg
    elevation_profile20.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 91
  • trip-80065416-map-full20.png
    trip-80065416-map-full20.png
    466 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211217_092339.jpg
    20211217_092339.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211217_092342.jpg
    20211217_092342.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211217_092404.jpg
    20211217_092404.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211217_092419.jpg
    20211217_092419.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211217_092739.jpg
    20211217_092739.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211217_092748.jpg
    20211217_092748.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20211217_092758.jpg
    20211217_092758.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211217_093826.jpg
    20211217_093826.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20211217_093844.jpg
    20211217_093844.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 95
Another nice ride out today. A bit chillier, but sun was shining as well, so made it a nice day.

Took a slightly different route today and ventured into new areas.

Stopped and had a picnic lunch in the Churchyard of St Micheal and All Angels Church in Stewkley.

DBDED8C3-A52E-4AF2-8988-A544476A9AEF.jpeg
208FEF27-E845-4709-A6AD-9DB0D5324B97.jpeg
270A84C4-C079-44C5-AA1E-4CD6868FFAEC.jpeg
9030530F-CC71-4057-BE13-DCC72B4209E3.jpeg

The weather is looking promising next week so hopefully I can complete my 5,000 miles, only 82 to go! My favourite day (Sunday) may be foggy though and if so, I will give it a miss! Its going to be freezing again so the back roads won't be an option...we may even have a white Christmas as they are forecasting some snow for Christmas Eve!
So glad to hear that you as well as others are getting out despite the chilly weather. I’m hoping to do the same once it warms up a bit here. Tomorrow’s high is expected to hit -15C…woohoo! Relatively balmy compared to what we've been experiencing of late. Today’s not so great so I’ll spend time performing maintenance on the bike. At least the sun is shining bright!

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 09-10-28 Red Deer, Alberta 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg

It’s also nice to see that you’re able to spend time with your pop and know that he’s never far away from your mind. Getting out on the bike is a great way to take a well-deserved break for body and soul. 👍

OK, Ive charged the battery, oiled the chain, had a look at a few routes.
But now it appears grandparents are the default designated child minders over Christmas.
Im not complaining, little ones are a gift and can reset a thousand slowly developed habits that appear comfortable, but are also dangerous to the Id, but sometimes I feel myself smiling through gritted teeth as the next 'Penguin has a fun day' book is thrust into my hand for recital, while the bike sits in my peripheral vision, mocking me ..
Yes its not pity, its laughing at me.

Muddy river…
When we were in Queensland in '06, we saw some of these crossings, except they were mostly dry. We couldn't help notice the many vehicles with snorkels. The approaches had signs on posts that let the driver know how deep the water would be if you tried to cross. When we were heading up into the Daintree, we crossed one river during a heavy rain spell on a ferry that operated with a cable run by a motor on the boat (if I remember correctly). Must have been lots of crocs around waiting for the cable to break or the ferry to sink, but we didn't see any.
View attachment 108488
Twin Bridges
Brisbane River near Fernvale
With the river level dropping, someone had wondered whether they might get across the twin bridges and then thought better of the idea and reversed (with difficulty; right of photo!) to safety.

I kept well away, knowing that going further would see me slip-sliding on the mud and landing on my backside (how embarrassing!). And it was no easier further downstream…

View attachment 108489
Savages Crossing
Brisbane River near Fernvale

Back