Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

My Year's 2021 Summary :)

(This year in 50 seconds).

I wish you a lot of health. Not because of Xmas & New Year. On every single day now and in 2022.
And I wish you EBR Forum friends at least as many happy kilometres or miles as I could experience in 2021...

1640286672433.png

E-Biking achievements.

1640286392752.png

No bear spray needed in Poland outside Bieszczady Mts! :D

Last edited:
The ride out today was a bit warmer, being around 6oC and with wind chill, around 4oC. However, I did take the opportunity to try out some new Goretex mittens today as I have been suffering with cold fingers. They are well made and have what appears to be an inner pair of built in gloves. My fingers were not roasting, but then, they didn’t feel cold at all. It will be interesting to see what they’re like when the temperature is around freezing.

FYI, this is what Gore state:
Product Details
  • GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ fabrics with GORE® WINDSTOPPER® product technology: totally windproof, extremely breathable and durably water resistant, lightweight protection
  • GORE-TEX INFINIUM™ Stretch Glove product technology
  • Touchscreen sensitive material on thumb and pointer finger tips
  • Split construction: thumb and pointer finger are separated
  • Insulated pointer finger
  • 3-finger compartment for increased warmth
  • Silicone printing for increased grip
  • Neoprene cuff
  • Reflective details
Decided to take a look round Buckingham today, found a nice park in the centre of the town with plenty of cycle paths, so it was interesting exploring these. Didn’t take any photos as it was very misty and you couldn’t see much. But will go back and explore further next time and hopefully get some photos.

Had a snack break at a small wooded area at a place called Coombs.

View attachment 109952View attachment 109953View attachment 109954View attachment 109955
Thanks for the glove info. I have a terrible time with cold hands. 👍

I wish you a lot of health. Not because of Xmas & New Year. On every single day now and in 2022.
And I wish you EBR Forum friends at least as many happy kilometres or miles as I could experience in 2021...

View attachment 109958
E-Biking achievements.

View attachment 109957
Congratulations Stefan, awesome effort this year! 👍 Your challenge next year is to beat my total in the same number of rides as me, which was 151! ;) 🤣 Only joking before you try to attempt it, you really should be proud of your achievements!:)

View attachment 109958
E-Biking achievements.

View attachment 109957
Congrats Stefan! That’s quite the accomplishment. 👍No way I could even come close to what you and @RabH pull off each season. I did, however, manage to get some decent climbs in this summer.

Web capture_23-12-2021_13557_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

View attachment 109958
E-Biking achievements.

View attachment 109957
Congratulations Stefan and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

View attachment 109958
E-Biking achievements.

View attachment 109957
Congratulations! May the wind always be at your back, and your battery always at full charge ...

Congratulations Stefan, awesome effort this year! 👍 Your challenge next year is to beat my total in the same number of rides as me, which was 151! ;) 🤣 Only joking before you try to attempt it, you really should be proud of your achievements!:)
Rab: Not sure what the Future holds (the future at work could mean far more work). As soon as the Winter is over, I shall own three batteries for the big Vado and two Range Extenders for Vado SL. Meaning longer rides in about the same time :) I will certainly focus on long gravel rides in groups and I want to beat the double metric century for sure!

The Christmas will be spent with Jacek and Renata (my closest family now), and the Boxing Day shall mean an offroad ride with Jacek!

As this was the first time I used them, I had no issues with hitting the power button or using the brakes
I just checked and neither REI nor a local shop carries them. I see Amazon has them but I'd be guessing about size. I see the local shop has Gore's thermal gloves and they might fit the same. I was just there today picking up my bike.

I just checked and neither REI nor a local shop carries them. I see Amazon has them but I'd be guessing about size. I see the local shop has Gore's thermal gloves and they might fit the same. I was just there today picking up my bike.
The thermal gloves are not as warm, I’ve got them also.

Measure your hand and if you look on the actual Gore website, you will be able to work out what size you need.

I went for 2XL although I’m normally a medium, that way I can add an additional liner glove if required, but having said that, they do not appear to be too cumbersome.

Last edited:
A Christmas related anecdote!

The supply chain disruption has affected big supermarkets in Poland: No season decorations or season food anymore there, and the shelves are ravaged. Surprisingly, small businesses fare quite well! I am a big fan of Gefilte Fish but have no conditions to make it myself in the new small flat I live in now. I went on a grocery shopping with my Vado SL yesterday. I bought "them little ears", or very small dumplings stuffed with fungi in a little store in Brwinów (5.5 km away). Yet Gefilte Fish? Ouch. I learned there was a respected fish store in Milanówek, at the town's marketplace. So I rode up there to see this...

1640332760877.png

Oh yes. The store was indeed good. But the line! The queue was as long as in them "good ole times" of the Communist era... I had to stand in line for half an hour to just buy a small pack of Gefilte Fish :) Oh yes, I could buy a large pack of 8 pieces but first of all I'm alone and secondly the large pack would not fit into my pannier! :) Still, it was good to be there and talk with the people... They are such cheerful and friendly nowadays unlike it was during the old times...

Which reminds me I need to go for a short ride to buy vinegar! :)

@Stefan Mikes re: Gefilte Fish. I have made it two or three times - too smelly! I generally stockpile Gefilte Fish and when I check my pantry, I tend to ignore the "pull dates" or "use by dates!" But those small jars expensive.

Vinegar. I thought you'd be out there buying Slivovitz :D

1640356275553.png

Possibly my final ride of 2021 as the weather is looking a bit grim next week, we shall see... I made sure I reached my 5,000 miles today just in case! It started a bit misty but at least it wasn't freezing so I could use the quiet back roads again, the town was crazy today with all the Christmas shoppers so I made a quick exit to get away from the madness! ;) The sun actually made an appearance but was followed by some rain which wasn't forecast...not a lot of photos due to conditions but I did manage to grab a few!

Its been quite a while since I used this awesome road, I couldn't believe it when I met a huge articulated truck which filled the whole road though! Its tight in a car so the driver was very brave to tackle it, I'm guessing he was visiting one of the many farms and probably knows the road well!

1640356925704.png

This looks like a road for @Chargeride or @Stefan Mikes a bit soft for @Prairie Dog 🤣

1640357168330.png

Another of my favourite roads and the easterly wind made it a real blast today! It gets a bit rough about a mile or so further on but nothing I can't handle with my road tyres!

1640357324247.png

I'm 1,200 miles down on last year but considering the year I have had I can't be unhappy about that! I have had some really great rides this year including 5 imperial centuries, the highlight being my 102 mile ride to the beautiful Trossachs! It started like this at 4.40am!

1640358232347.png

Then I was greeted with this after 50 miles of mist!

1640358500546.png

1640358586858.png

I would just like to thank everyone for their amazing contributions to this excellent thread, I hope you all have a lovely Christmas with your loved ones! This years stats below!

Screenshot_20211224-143309_Ride with GPS.jpg

Attachments

• elevation_profile23.jpg
    elevation_profile23.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 80
  • trip-80389022-map-full23.png
    trip-80389022-map-full23.png
    459.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20211224_102511.jpg
    20211224_102511.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20211224_102518.jpg
    20211224_102518.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211224_102526.jpg
    20211224_102526.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20211224_102545.jpg
    20211224_102545.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20211224_102721.jpg
    20211224_102721.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211224_110227.jpg
    20211224_110227.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211224_110242.jpg
    20211224_110242.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 88
Vinegar. I thought you'd be out there buying Slivovitz :D
Fred: Neither Slivovitz nor any Brandy! You will laugh to learn I still keep a bottle of vintage 2016 Czech Apple/Pear Brandy (100 proof) I got in August this Summer from our friend Vlasta in Trutnov :D After opening the bottle and tasting a small glass, I put the cap back and am waiting for some "hooch" lover to accept the gift :D The point is, any spirit containing either fusel oil or methanol (or both) does not belong to my world. Good Ale/Stout? Excellent! Wine? I'm your man! Rum or clear vodka? Long drinks are okay! But no moonshine please! :D
This looks like a road for @Chargeride or @Stefan Mikes a bit soft for @Prairie Dog 🤣
I would hesitate riding there :D Chargeride would be at home on that field!

Your goal met. Congratulations, Rab!

Not the best stats for 2021, really dropped off since August, but i do anticipate a renewed focus for 2022.
Congratulations, Randall! You mostly ride off-road and your stats are excellent!

I decided to close out this year with a final ride last night to our town center to view the city hall park light decorations. I slipped out to take a few shots of the adorned trees as well as the ice carvings that were lit up at the Parkland Garden Center. It was a brisk -27C wind chill so I bundled up in full winter apparel before heading out.

IMG_20211223_2008108.jpg

IMG_20211223_2008579.jpg

GOPR1336.JPG

GOPR1345.JPG

GOPR1344.JPG

Back