Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Viking head headstones?

In Washington State.
Rune Stones. There are carvings on each one and plaques with donor names. Seattle has/had a large Scandinavian presence probably due to its fishing industry.

A very neat museum is dedicated to that heritage. It use to be housed in an old public school and had a lot of character. Old wood floors and stairs and classroom doors. But they moved to a dedicated, very modern space a few years back. It was recently re-crowned as a National Museum. I recently revisited about two weeks ago.

PXL_20211011_214929627-.jpg

PXL_20211015_202128062.jpg

PXL_20211015_202602765.jpg

They have a model but I saw the original in Oslo a few years ago when I was in Norway for cross-country skiing.
PXL_20211016_021543741.RESTORED.jpg

P1000501.JPG

Leifur Erikkson. Leif Eiriksson.
Son of Iceland. Grandson of Norway.
Ancestor of all who emigrated from Nordic lands.

This is Golden Gardens Park: somewhere that, for more than a century, has been a 'destination' to escape to from the city.
Yup. If you can enlarge the plaque under the statue that is what it says. I pedal there about once a week - a nice urban 15 mile loop.

Weve just had a monsoon rain event and summer is officially over, but now Im getting nostalgic for autumn, windy rides blowing leaves and branches around, wearing a scarf and sitting in bike cafes with a hot chocolate, staring into infinity and accepting the limitations that the weather presents.
Nope. Not at all nostalgic for autumn. A small sampling of what I face. At the moment I have sixteen bags, cans and bins of leaves stockpiled in the garage. We have one large bin collected weekly for garden and food waste (including pizza boxes, etc as long as composable). We can dispose of unlimited leaves for the month of November, otherwise we pay extra for each extra whatever. Hence the stockpile which will be hauled to the curb this week.
PXL_20201129_181752380.PANO-.jpg

IMG_20201106_114544-.jpg

Saturday I decided that, rather than riding past the beach on the rec trail heading to the Fort Ord Dunes, I would head down (its quite a way down) and ride the more or less remote stretch of beach that is past where the tourists hang out - they're actually blocked off from it by a man-made but natural-looking 'stone' outcrop shaped to look like its a natural formation. So, only about three or four people - two of them fishing in the surf right at the start - seen the whole time.

This stretch of beach is narrow and steep. With a thin band of dry, but very coarse sand running from the cliffs straight down at a sharp angle into surf. Some times I was timing my crossing of the sand so there wouldn't be water there. Swiped this image off Google. It was taken on a much sunnier day, and the band of dry, fine sand you see no longer exists thanks to the recent storms that also punched right up to the cliffs. Once down, there didn't seem to be any way back inland except the way I came. I've got a battery upgrade en route that will let me better test that.
20170519_161754.jpg

Aired the tires way down (I keep a small compressor with me that runs off my ebike battery) and made it down the steep sandy dune to the beach. In addition to the crashing surf right next to me and the view, riding on the beach was a real handful. A big challenge because of the steep angle and I couldn't ride on the wet sand given the active surf. I had to stay up where it was - somewhat - dry, which was very deep stuff. I got into my biggest rear cog without even realizing I had done it and was not so happy I had nothing more to work with. Despite the bike being 2wd I had to really work at maintaining forward progress - both in terms of pedal effort and not faceplanting thanks to the shifting ground under me.

When I finally found a flat spot a couple miles down the beach, I decided thats where I was turning around as I wasn't sure I'd find another anytime soon. The ground was low and had been recently wet (also thanks to the rain) so tires weren't really digging in here. But once I turned around and made it back over that hump in the 3rd pic, I stayed high near the cliffs and was halfway up to the rims in sand the whole way back.

I figured the going was so tough I would be using my two walking throttles to help hump the bike back up the steep, deep dune sand slope up to the trail. But my some miracle the bike made it up. In fact I said out loud to myself "I can't believe I just did that" once I crested the top. I totally expected some exhausting payback from Mother Nature for daring to try this. I've always been a big proponent of 2wd but I've never done something like this that - no way, no how - could I have even considered going there and doing that without it.
PXL_20211030_164757048.jpg

PXL_20211030_164834508.jpg
PXL_20211030_164722471.jpg

I was on the fence as to whether I replace these worn 4.8" Vee Snowshoes with 5.05" Snowshoe 2XLs. Not freaking anymore. Now also seems like a good time to see how the Box Prime 9 drivetrain works on a build, given it will take my 32T max and replace it with a 46T. The Shimano Deore XT has served me well since 2017 on this bike but this terrain is a whole new kind of difficult.

Last edited:
Saturday I decided that, rather than riding past the beach on the rec trail heading to the Fort Ord Dunes, I would head down (its quite a way down) and ride the more or less remote stretch of beach that is past where the tourists hang out - they're actually blocked off from it by a man-made but natural-looking 'stone' outcrop shaped to look like its a natural formation. So, only about three or four people - two of them fishing in the surf right at the start - seen the whole time.

This stretch of beach is narrow and steep. With a thin band of dry, but very coarse sand running from the cliffs straight down at a sharp angle into surf. Some times I was timing my crossing of the sand so there wouldn't be water there. Swiped this image off Google. It was taken on a much sunnier day, and the band of dry, fine sand you see no longer exists thanks to the recent storms that also punched right up to the cliffs. Once down, there didn't seem to be any way back inland except the way I came. I've got a battery upgrade en route that will let me better test that.
View attachment 105281

Aired the tires way down (I keep a small compressor with me that runs off my ebike battery) and made it down the steep sandy dune to the beach. In addition to the crashing surf right next to me and the view, riding on the beach was a real handful. A big challenge because of the steep angle and I couldn't ride on the wet sand given the active surf. I had to stay up where it was - somewhat - dry, which was very deep stuff. I got into my biggest rear cog without even realizing I had done it and was not so happy I had nothing more to work with. Despite the bike being 2wd I had to really work at maintaining forward progress - both in terms of pedal effort and not faceplanting thanks to the shifting ground under me.

When I finally found a flat spot a couple miles down the beach, I decided thats where I was turning around as I wasn't sure I'd find another anytime soon. The ground was low and had been recently wet (also thanks to the rain) so tires weren't really digging in here. But once I turned around and made it back over that hump in the 3rd pic, I stayed high near the cliffs and was halfway up to the rims in sand the whole way back.

I figured the going was so tough I would be using my two walking throttles to help hump the bike back up the steep, deep dune sand slope up to the trail. But my some miracle the bike made it up. In fact I said out loud to myself "I can't believe I just did that" once I crested the top. I totally expected some exhausting payback from Mother Nature for daring to try this. I've always been a big proponent of 2wd but I've never done something like this that - no way, no how - could I have even considered going there and doing that without it.
View attachment 105284
View attachment 105283View attachment 105282

I was on the fence as to whether I replace these worn 4.8" Vee Snowshoes with 5.05" Snowshoe 2XLs. Not freaking anymore. Now also seems like a good time to see how the Box Prime 9 drivetrain works on a build, given it will take my 32T max and replace it with a 46T. The Shimano Deore XT has served me well since 2017 on this bike but this terrain is a whole new kind of difficult.
GREAT ride report and effort. Probably would have been easier without all the baggage. 🤣

EDIT: Nice pics too. Thank you!

GREAT ride report and effort. Probably would have been easier without all the baggage. 🤣

EDIT: Nice pics too. Thank you!

Hah yeah its not kitted out for recreation despite the zombie-apocalypse vibe it throws out. This bike has a job and riding any bike just for fun is kind of a new thing for me. I mean, over a lifetime I have done a little scenic riding... and I have tried to build bikes in the past dedicated just for fun... but its never taken hold. By and large for me a bike has always been about alternate transportation, so it has to be able to carry stuff along from shopping trips or Amazon deliveries to the office or whatever.

Not much in the panniers aside from usual kit of wallet, phone, keys, pump, patches, basic tools... Mostly empty. Also a box with a couple croissants for this morning, from the breakfast stop at the bakery on the way out.

I had 60% of battery left, I had already gone to Hop Singh tong herbal shop to pick up my special tea brew
I went and did more sightseeing and came across some ebikers on some ebikes with banana style seats and while I was at it I did 5 laps on a bmx track. On my third lap I got airborne a few times but stopped , I did not have padded riding gear on (track is mostly use by kids with sur rons)

Here are more pics. Overall a very good work out and got to enjoy the rest of the Sunday. It made up for my not too good performance in golf.
I wish you'd unwrap that helicopter already!

Riverside bikeway…

Brisbane River, Newstead

Newstead Bikeway, Brisbane River

Brisbane's former riverside industrial areas are being transformed into inner city apartment complexes. Fortunately, bikeways and and pedestrian paths have been included in development plans. Part of the bikeway along the left bank of the Brisbane River can be seen in the photo (above).

If we look closer (crop below), a pod of pelicans can be spied paddling close behind the little fishing boat, presumably awaiting their share of the sea's bounty. Are their laggardly friends too sated to be bothered keeping up?

Brisbane River, Newstead

Map : Breakfast Creek & Newstead Park

There is still work to be done on the riverside trails: for example, a new 'green bridge' across the Breakfast Creek has been planned and approved, but is awaiting funding. It will be near LBJ Place which was named in honour of the US President during his return visit to Queensland (both LBJ & Douglas MacArthur served in QLD during WW2).

View attachment 105281

View attachment 105284
View attachment 105283View attachment 105282

Gorgeous, where did you get the compressor, Im looking for one.
I love the controller on the front rack, youre pushing some power there judging by the size of it.
I did consider 2 wheel drive, but everyone on endless sphere, told me not to bother, I can see their point, but sometimes it cant be beaten, no matter how much momentum you have.
I need a light bike, so 1 wheel will do and just keep the speed up :)

Last edited:
1635770613870.png

Another very windy day but at least it was dry, I decided to try the back roads today to get out of the winds and it paid off as there was no flooding anywhere after all the rain! It was actually very enjoyable despite the gusty winds, e bikes really come into their own in these conditions! You can see how choppy the water was at this loch! The clouds looked pretty awesome, it almost looks like a painting! ;)

1635771435167.png

1635771625901.png

Despite those clouds it remained sunny for most of the ride and it was actually pretty mild for November, 9C is unusual for this time of year here but I'm not complaining! The horses were enjoying the sun but reluctant to come near me!😛

1635772187084.png

The trees have now changed to their autumnal colours, where did the summer go?

1635772476201.png

Thankfully the gusty winds will be gone after today and the weather is looking ok for the rest of the week! Its going to get colder after today but more layers will be added and as long as there's no ice around I don't mind the cold! Hopefully this month will be drier than October which was my worst cycling month since February, time will tell... At least I am able to get out most of the year unlike some of you who have a short cycling season, I know am very fortunate!

Attachments

• elevation_profile10.jpg
    elevation_profile10.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 116
  • trip-77917236-map-full10.png
    trip-77917236-map-full10.png
    418.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20211101_091442.jpg
    20211101_091442.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20211101_091526.jpg
    20211101_091526.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20211101_092600.jpg
    20211101_092600.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20211101_092616.jpg
    20211101_092616.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20211101_092642.jpg
    20211101_092642.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20211101_100324.jpg
    20211101_100324.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20211101_100327.jpg
    20211101_100327.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20211101_100348.jpg
    20211101_100348.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 120
View attachment 105336

Another very windy day but at least it was dry, I decided to try the back roads today to get out of the winds and it paid off as there was no flooding anywhere after all the rain! It was actually very enjoyable despite the gusty winds, e bikes really come into their own in these conditions! You can see how choppy the water was at this loch! The clouds looked pretty awesome, it almost looks like a painting! ;)

View attachment 105337
View attachment 105339

Despite those clouds it remained sunny for most of the ride and it was actually pretty mild for November, 9C is unusual for this time of year here but I'm not complaining! The horses were enjoying the sun but reluctant to come near me!😛

View attachment 105350

The trees have now changed to their autumnal colours, where did the summer go?

View attachment 105354

Thankfully the gusty winds will be gone after today and the weather is looking ok for the rest of the week! Its going to get colder after today but more layers will be added and as long as there's no ice around I don't mind the cold! Hopefully this month will be drier than October which was my worst cycling month since February, time will tell... At least I am able to get out most of the year unlike some of you who have a short cycling season, I know am very fortunate!
Looks like a beautiful day. The lighting in some shots was terrific.

Nice ride out today in the afternoon Autumn sunshine In the North Buckinghamshire countryside.
AEAED0BF-04D7-4C5C-977B-305B251E9186.jpeg

St Mary the Virgin Church in Addington looks nice in the sun with a young Oak tree looking particularly nice. Also this is one of our favourite stopping points for having a rest and taking sustenance.
668F685F-5D9E-420B-BBB9-D34C4E6A5CBD.jpeg
74FF540D-9C9B-4C3D-81AA-DFC4598A0B79.jpeg

A lot of trees were blown over and other damage done with the wind and rain yesterday. Although a nice sunset through the trees
69E4511A-29AC-45ED-AE64-53F123396617.jpeg
7D8266AB-1651-4A6D-8F27-D2DDDF872208.jpeg

5BFD8A07-08C3-4E3B-8409-DEBC7C283B12.jpeg

Last edited:
Tree-of-the-Month for November…

Illawarra Flame Tree, Lowood, SE Queensland

Lowood, SE Queensland
7:30 am; 25 km from home

We're properly into November, so it's time for that South American interloper, the jacaranda, to make its exit and allow our local Illawara flame tree (Brachychiton acerifolius) to take centre stage.

I spy a coffee shop! After an hour on the rail trail, I'm in need of a caffeine boost under the trees in Lowood's village park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back