Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Gone a bit quiet, so I'll post a pic out of the window of a house I was working in.
Beer Garden, urban style.

20211103_122512.jpg

Another ride out in the North Bucks countryside. Although, very chilly and cloudy today. Had to dig out my thicker windproof gloves

The trees are certainly beginning to look a bit more Autumnal. There is still evidence of the damage caused by the winds last weekend.

ABBB4550-8B5D-4254-AA39-5267E33CD47F.jpeg
894ED6C5-7316-42B1-93BD-6E3052CBAF4B.jpeg
FE0BA081-E4FC-48CC-AB09-B48FEC609159.jpeg
08B96BEF-3CBD-4F17-A9E7-393928421669.jpeg

1636117004296.png

I was hoping to have some nice rides this week as the weather has been great for the time of year, unfortunately my 93yo dad had a fall and needed more looking after than normal! He was a little better today but I didn't want to go far so just stayed local, I'm so lucky to have amazing roads close by so it was a real blast! No time for photos today, I just wanted to ride my bike and make the most of the time I had! It was so good to get out again and get some much needed fresh air! We have a stormy weekend coming with winds of 55mph so no chance of a Sunday ride...

Attachments

• elevation_profile11.jpg
    elevation_profile11.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 113
  • trip-78089002-map-full11.png
    trip-78089002-map-full11.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 117
View attachment 105745

I was hoping to have some nice rides this week as the weather has been great for the time of year, unfortunately my 93yo dad had a fall and needed more looking after than normal! He was a little better today but I didn't want to go far so just stayed local, I'm so lucky to have amazing roads close by so it was a real blast! No time for photos today, I just wanted to ride my bike and make the most of the time I had! It was so good to get out again and get some much needed fresh air! We have a stormy weekend coming with winds of 55mph so no chance of a Sunday ride...
Best to your father from the far away, pacific northWET (and it is!)

Meanwhile, I'm working, partying with Brix and friends, working again...

1636123109827.png

Katy & Brix

1636123283034.png

"Mr. Dick Jagger" is a friend of mine, with whom I had two long e-bike rides (Lublin and Warsaw). Jagger was riding my e-bikes and finds the idea quite exciting!

Next week, we are renting a large car and riding with Brix to Tuczno to see her 91-yo Grandma in Western Pomerania. I plan to take Vado SL for me for several rides. Western Pomerania actually is one of the biggest "wilderness' areas of Poland. I need to be ready for field repairs, as even smartphone might be out of the network coverage there!

Meanwhile, I'm working, partying with Brix and friends, working again...

View attachment 105748
Katy & Brix

View attachment 105749
"Mr. Dick Jagger" is a friend of mine, with whom I had two long e-bike rides (Lublin and Warsaw). Jagger was riding my e-bikes and finds the idea quite exciting!

Next week, we are renting a large car and riding with Brix to Tuczno to see her 91-yo Grandma in Western Pomerania. I plan to take Vado SL for me for several rides. Western Pomerania actually is one of the biggest "wilderness' areas of Poland. I need to be ready for field repairs, as even smartphone might be out of the network coverage there!
Waits for 'lost in woods' post.

Early morning arrivals & departures…

Pied Stilts, Kedron Brook Wetlands

Kedron Brook Wetlands
Pied Stilts
(Himantopus leucocephalus)

Two of my favourite rides pass through the Kedron Brook Wetlands. Once or twice each week, I drive into Brisbane, park near the Kedron Brook and ride down to the bay before heading north along the Moreton Bay Cycleway.

The variant of this ride is to start close to home and ride to the bay – that’s far enough! – and head home after a salad sandwich and coffee at Pam’s Café at Nudgee Beach.

Whichever route is taken, there is a distinct possibility that my arrival at the wetlands will be greeted by a cacophony not too dissimilar from yapping of our neighbour’s chihuahua. The stilts are in residence!

On this week’s ride, I reached the wetlands at around sunrise and decided to take a break next to one of the stilts’ ponds. When you ride a big, heavy ebike like the Homage, a vacuum flask of hot chocolate and a few rusks – cannot break that habit of a lifetime – are easy enough to pack into a pannier or trunk bag.

Nearby the first flights of the day were arriving and departing from Brisbane Airport, but the air traffic right next to me was far more intense. Did the yapping stilts even notice that I was there? I think not.

Pied Stilt

Kedron Brook Wetlands : Map

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a whole lot to report over these past few weeks. I’ve been somewhat preoccupied with riding the local trails as much as I can before the snow starts to fly. Our last road rides of the season were outings to Lacombe and to the Nova Corp Nature trail near the community of Joffre along quiet country roads.
Web capture_1-11-2021_15394_ridewithgps.com.jpegWeb capture_5-11-2021_165022_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

IMG_20211016_1414160.jpg

IMG_20211016_1414213.jpg

IMG_20211026_1427194.jpg

No trip to Lacombe would be the same without a visit to the world’s largest fishing lure erected by the Thompson Pallister bait co.
IMG_20211016_1432256.jpg

There were also a handful of anglers on this fall day dipping their lines in at the nearby Len Thompson trout pond.
IMG_20211016_1433096.jpg
It’s somewhat of an oddity to view this wonderful trail system and its wetlands which are located right across the road from a huge petrochemical/plastics plant.
GH011162_Moment.jpg

As a corporate citizen and major employer in Lacombe County for 40 years, Nova Corp paid tribute (literally) to this anniversary by transforming this nearby section of agricultural land into a natural habitat for wildlife and native plants/grasses. The 5km loop with several bridge crossings is a nice place to connect with nature.

IMG_20211026_1445201.jpg

IMG_20211026_1445110.jpgIMG_20211026_1449482.jpg

I would think that any nesting bee would find this pollinator hotel located along the trail as mighty fine digs.

IMG_20211026_1504536.jpg

IMG_20211026_1505182.jpg

Not a whole lot to report over these past few weeks. I’ve been somewhat preoccupied with riding the local trails as much as I can before the snow starts to fly. Our last road rides of the season were outings to Lacombe and to the Nova Corp Nature trail near the community of Joffre along quiet country roads.
View attachment 105812View attachment 105813

View attachment 105814
View attachment 105815
View attachment 105816

No trip to Lacombe would be the same without a visit to the world’s largest fishing lure erected by the Thompson Pallister bait co.
View attachment 105817
There were also a handful of anglers on this fall day dipping their lines in at the nearby Len Thompson trout pond.
View attachment 105818
It’s somewhat of an oddity to view this wonderful trail system and its wetlands which are located right across the road from a huge petrochemical/plastics plant.
View attachment 105819

As a corporate citizen and major employer in Lacombe County for 40 years, Nova Corp paid tribute (literally) to this anniversary by transforming this nearby section of agricultural land into a natural habitat for wildlife and native plants/grasses. The 5km loop with several bridge crossings is a nice place to connect with nature.

View attachment 105820
View attachment 105821View attachment 105824

I would think that any nesting bee would find this pollinator hotel located along the trail as mighty fine digs.

View attachment 105822
View attachment 105823
Wondering where you'd been. Got use to seeing your reports and pictures. I really like image 1 today. I've seen equivalents in museums. The muted wheat fields and bundles of wheat or grass.

I presume you will be seeing snow soon as our forecasts are for snow levels down to 2,500 feet and mountain pass snow this weekend.

Wondering where you'd been. Got use to seeing your reports and pictures. I really like image 1 today. I've seen equivalents in museums. The muted wheat fields and bundles of wheat or grass.

I presume you will be seeing snow soon as our forecasts are for snow levels down to 2,500 feet and mountain pass snow this weekend.
Those were likely our final road rides of the season. In the center of the third image, you can barely make out my better half as she pedals her way up that stretch of range road generally referred to as the Freedom Road. Next week the forecast here is expected to drop down to single digit highs and a chance of flurries. I suppose the winter weather will be relatively snowless in your neck of the woods unless you somehow find yourself at the summit at Snoqualmie.

I've been warned against wolves... I will probably stick to paved roads this time!

View attachment 105862
On the subject of wildlife, sometimes no amount of training prepares you for the dangers lurking out there during this time of the season. This fellow is lucky to be alive.

Those were likely our final road rides of the season. In the center of the third image, you can barely make out my better half as she pedals her way up that stretch of range road generally referred to as the Freedom Road. Next week the forecast here is expected to drop down to single digit highs and a chance of flurries. I suppose the winter weather will be relatively snowless in your neck of the woods unless you somehow find yourself at the summit at Snoqualmie.
The images showing snow. Winter is coming. I'm thinking of trying to hike on Mon or Tue. I like hiking in the snow.

Whatever La/El Nin-x we are forecasted to have suggests potentially more lowland snow. I did get to ski around the lake in my neighborhood last winter. Usually we don't get enough.

snoq.jpg

stevens.jpg

The images showing snow. Winter is coming. I'm thinking of trying to hike on Mon or Tue. I like hiking in the snow.

Whatever La/El Nin-x we are forecasted to have suggests potentially more lowland snow. I did get to ski around the lake in my neighborhood last winter. Usually we don't get enough.

View attachment 105917

View attachment 105918
Do you have plans to cycle during the winter months or is that even feasible with the Creo? I realize that winter in the PNW isn’t picture perfect and weather can change by the minute but I’m not sure if rain is something that I would be inclined to ride in. It might dip well below freezing here but if the sun is out, I can usually persuade myself to go out for a ride.

Change of the plans...

I decided it would make no sense to transport either of my e-bikes to the West Pomeranian wilderness. Were it Summer, I would not hesitate: The e-bike expertly inserted into the large rental car, a pannier with necessary tools, a helmet, and off could we go. The matter of appropriate cycling clothing for the cold season made me give the idea up. I would rather spend two days on online work from the guesthouse that take the e-bike related pain... And them wolves!

Meanwhile, a huge, modern, and expensive apartment block with its bike storage area in the southern quarter of Warsaw...

1636277652933.png

Almost any bike parked there had rotten, totally rusted drivetrain. Shame! Nobody seems to hear about drivetrain maintenance. Nobody's using a bike rain-cover. I could spot only several bikes stored in corridors of the house. Probably the only people really loving their bikes... Because elevators are huge here and there is no problem to lift a bike upstairs. Shame on you, Poles!

Do you have plans to cycle during the winter months or is that even feasible with the Creo? I realize that winter in the PNW isn’t picture perfect and weather can change by the minute but I’m not sure if rain is something that I would be inclined to ride in. It might dip well below freezing here but if the sun is out, I can usually persuade myself to go out for a ride.
We can be a little damp on occasion - each HOUR!!! :eek:

Actually, that is what happened on Friday. Woke to rain. Smuggled more leaf bags into neighbors' stuff in the rain. Oh, look, seems like clearing. Suddenly race to get ready for a ride. Friend calls and says Accuweather says rain in an hour. Chance it. Get in my hour and a half, 15 miles and 900 feet and beat the rain home by about 15 minutes. Pours. Oh, look, it stopped again. Head out and refill large leaf bin and finish as the next wave came. And yesterday was worse - all short intervals. Blew leaves, rain. Rain, rain, sheets of rain. Binned more leaves and finished with a very wet fleece! But, yes, while I don't head out if it is raining, I have gotten caught. If it is dry I ride down to about 40F (4.4C) with my electric socks, leggings, tights and booties and lobster mitts and balaclava. I'm sweating while getting dressed! I've ridden below that but not much recently - some wisdom.

While I have pedaled in the snow in decades past that is no longer something I would chance. One day, I jogged around our four mile lake, cross country skied around and it biked around it. Just to day I did. I've biked up Washington Pass from the east in one to three inches of snow - it was crazy and I was frozen coming back down.

But, you know, when one hip has been replaced twice, one does not press one's luck too much. :p Although, it has withstood a few good, at speed, falls cross country skiing. I did even take it telemark, gentle telemark skiing between hips, as it were. I'm just a bit less nuts and OLDER and somewhat wiser and too damn fat. But when it does snow in Seattle, I've got some old skis now reserved to ski off curbs.

We can be a little damp on occasion - each HOUR!!! :eek:

Actually, that is what happened on Friday. Woke to rain. Smuggled more leaf bags into neighbors' stuff in the rain. Oh, look, seems like clearing. Suddenly race to get ready for a ride. Friend calls and says Accuweather says rain in an hour. Chance it. Get in my hour and a half, 15 miles and 900 feet and beat the rain home by about 15 minutes. Pours. Oh, look, it stopped again. Head out and refill large leaf bin and finish as the next wave came. And yesterday was worse - all short intervals. Blew leaves, rain. Rain, rain, sheets of rain. Binned more leaves and finished with a very wet fleece! But, yes, while I don't head out if it is raining, I have gotten caught. If it is dry I ride down to about 40F (4.4C) with my electric socks, leggings, tights and booties and lobster mitts and balaclava. I'm sweating while getting dressed! I've ridden below that but not much recently - some wisdom.

While I have pedaled in the snow in decades past that is no longer something I would chance. One day, I jogged around our four mile lake, cross country skied around and it biked around it. Just to day I did. I've biked up Washington Pass from the east in one to three inches of snow - it was crazy and I was frozen coming back down.

But, you know, when one hip has been replaced twice, one does not press one's luck too much. :p Although, it has withstood a few good, at speed, falls cross country skiing. I did even take it telemark, gentle telemark skiing between hips, as it were. I'm just a bit less nuts and OLDER and somewhat wiser and too damn fat. But when it does snow in Seattle, I've got some old skis now reserved to ski off curbs.
I don’t envy you. I’ve spent weeks out on Vancouver Island (Victoria) but have never stayed there during the cold season. Winters there I’ve been told can be cold, wet and mostly cloudy but incrementally warmer than the mainland which likely receives a lot more precip. On the flip side, it’s dry over 80% of the time out on the island which has us thinking that alone might be reason enough to consider hanging our hats there permanently.

Back