New Stromer ST5 LTD

Just watched Court’s review of the ST3. Is it true that the display does not provide a range estimate?

If so, that is very disappointing for such an expensive bike! Is the ST5 the same?

I don’t. I thought Court’s review said the ST3 does not display range On the display.

Agreed... here is the link to the full ST3 review on EBR.
Summary
  • A stealthy urban speed pedelec (L1e-B in Europe) that offers premium design elements, sophisticated pedal assist (measuring pedal torque, terrain incline, and acceleration), keyless activation, GPS theft recovery, and motor tuning via smartphone app. Extremely smooth, quiet, and durable gearless direct drive hub motor from TDCM offers adjustable energy recapture with regenerative braking. Capable 11-speed drivetrain with wide 11-42 tooth cassette, durable Shimano Deore XT derailleur with clutch, upgraded narrow-wide chainring with alloy guard to reduce drops.
  • Available in two frame styles (sporty high-step and approachable mid-step), three frame sizes ranging from medium to extra-large, and two refined color schemes (Cool White and Deep Black) with very limited branding and iconography. Comfort oriented touch points include Ergon locking grips and gel saddle, aggressive or upright stem choice, and optional inverted air suspension fork. High-volume moped tires custom made by Pirelli provide stability, comfort, and puncture resistance.
  • Sturdy ultra-bright integrated lights keep you visible offering high and low beam operation for different situations, integrated USB A plug in head tube can a smartphone when using the optional OMNI app. Powerful 203mm hydraulic disc brakes with quad piston front caliper provide excellent stopping power, and brake levers activate bright mode on the rear light. Sturdy tubular fenders, capable Rack Time compatible rear rack, bottle cage bosses on both frame types, and a custom stem that hides wires.
  • Heavier than average, especially with the optional suspension fork upgrade... which costs ~$1k extra. Limited adjustability on the optional air fork (air pressure only). Rear rack is fairly narrow and may not support child carriers. The battery charger is large and heavy, but fills quickly and uses a magnetic plug to reduce damage if snagged. Limited availability through dealers in North America. Smartphone app does not show current speed, range calculator, or GPS trip planning. Battery compartment door will not stay shut if battery is not installed on the bike.

A 75lb heavy clunker with a plastic battery case that doesn't stay closed. And a few electronic glitches to top it off .

Try to lift that elephant on your car rack or up a few stairs !

So many people got burned buying this clunkers, then having to sell them for 50%-60% off !! See the prior ads here on ebr. Crazylenny had a few days ago a demonSt3 for 5k.

A FREY CC , Wattwagon , R&M or Klever if you are in Eu are much better deals.
Even that 40k Novus e moto is a LOT better .

Last edited:
If you have noisy brakes there is no need to use a $500 resurfacing tool. My shop uses a product called squealout. Find it at squealout.com. It is a paste with grit in it. Just smear it on your rotor and use the brakes. It cleans the rotor and you are good to go.

If you have noisy brakes there is no need to use a $500 resurfacing tool. My shop uses a product called squealout. Find it at squealout.com. It is a paste with grit in it. Just smear it on your rotor and use the brakes. It cleans the rotor and you are good to go.
That's great to know, will keep some in the bike tool box.

Fact remain that the mount points on my bike was not square. Using a simple technique to mark the rotor with a sharpie, I can clearly see the pad contact points.
My suspension was evident as soon I started cutting.

I'm from a motorsports background, I would not hesitate owning the right tool for the right job.
If I was working on a $200 bike, buying an $500 tool would absolutely not make sense. However, we are talking about a $10k bike.
The brake mounts on the ST5 were painted over. Even when I cut down to bare aluminum, 1/3 of the mount point surfaces were still showing paint.

The high end bike shop I know will do a minimal reface of the brake mounts as part of their build process.
I am a customer who understands and appreciate that level of service.

That being said, maybe you can teach me how to hard stop with both brakes going 30mph while not getting thrown over the handlebars. Even at 17 it is very hard to stay on the bike on a hard brake.

If a pro does it just in front of my camera, it' looks like this.

But you can't repeat this on a Stromer (apart from sitting like a frog on the bike), because the saddle is higher than the handlebar. In an emergency brake, you will lifted out of the saddle, the your feet lose contact to the pedals - but in the most cases you will land on your feet and with the handlebar next to your belly button. This is only valid, if you don't hit an obstacle before. If you do so, a free flight over the handlebar is included.

MEB_0221.jpg

If a pro does it just in front of my camera, it' looks like this.

But you can't repeat this on a Stromer (apart from sitting like a frog on the bike), because the saddle is higher than the handlebar. In an emergency brake, you will lifted out of the saddle, the your feet lose contact to the pedals - but in the most cases you will land on your feet and with the handlebar next to your belly button. This is only valid, if you don't hit an obstacle before. If you do so, a free flight over the handlebar is included.

View attachment 65724

Learning how to Stoppie and Endo... always a good skill to have when riding! ;)

Last edited:
Nice maneuver.

But my question was actually a serious one. I don't believe doing a stoppie is the right way of stopping for this bike moreover it is not something that everyone can master easily.

So does anybody know a good way of hard stopping while minimizing the risk of falling over the handlebars?

Yes, we learn to drop the Seatpost and push your weight back past the seat... feather the front and rear to prevent lockup.

This technique becomes second nature when riding an EMTB off-road and also works well on-road and when descending. ;)

Last edited:
This is the problem, on the road and with a bike like ST5 you are riding a non-dropper seatpost with your seat quite high up for efficient pedaling. It is quite a bit different than off-road EMTB.

You can add a dropper post to a road or gravel bike... if not, just shift your weight back and push your butt out past the seat. A nice demo in the video! ;)

Do you really believe, you will have sufficient time for this in an emergency?

You can't fix stupid drivers, but every inch counts when braking.

I would have tried to bunny-hop the curb and kept on truckin'... ;):D:p

Nice maneuver.

But my question was actually a serious one. I don't believe doing a stoppie is the right way of stopping for this bike moreover it is not something that everyone can master easily.

So does anybody know a good way of hard stopping while minimizing the risk of falling over the handlebars ?

The videos demonstrate what is possible with modulating the front brake without crashing.
Just because you don't have the skills to perform such a feat, doesn't mean no one can perform an emergency stop without crash at 30mph.

To know how to to use fully the brakes on your bike is a serious topic. Anyone riding on public roads NEEDS to know how and practice emergency braking regularly.
Keep in mind that you are asking internet strangers on how to acquire a physical skill where your life depends on it.

With that said.
I hope this helps.

how to emergency brake on a bicycle

The videos demonstrate what is possible with modulating the front brake without crashing.
Just because you don't have the skills to perform such a feat, doesn't mean no one can perform an emergency stop without crash at 30mph.

To know how to to use fully the brakes on your bike is a serious topic. Anyone riding on public roads NEEDS to know how and practice emergency braking regularly.
Keep in mind that you are asking internet strangers on how to acquire a physical skill where your life depends on it.

With that said.
I hope this helps.

how to emergency brake on a bicycle

I will try to be nice. None of your suggestions help. Sometimes it is better not to say anything if all you can say is a sarcastic remark.

I am happy that you possess amazing riding skills and you can hop through hoops if you have to. As you have said not everyone has those skills set.

That is why when I am riding in public roads I am not only being extra careful and slow down even if there is someone or an obstacle close by but also I am trying to take into account that cars, people can also make mistakes. Even then it is not possible to prevent every accident. There is nothing fun about going under surgery because some idiot let's a passenger out in the middle of traffic.

Last edited:
There is nothing fun about going under surgery because some idiot let's a passenger out in the middle of traffic.

He indicates a turn to the left. I want to the right. It's enough space for me, I could pass:

linksraus1.jpg

But he stops to early before the main road.
Direction indicator to the left still set.
Something is wrong.
I start to brake.
Suddenly, a passenger opens the door and is frightened to see me:

linksraus3.jpg

Nevertheless, I have a Stromer, so I ride with Stromer speed.

I will try to be nice. None of your suggestions help. Sometimes it is better not to say anything if all you can say is a sarcastic remark.

I am happy that you possess amazing riding skills and you can hop through loops if you have to. As you have said not everyone has those skill set.

That is why when I am riding in public roads I am not only being extra careful and slow down even if there is someone or an obstacle close by but also I am trying to take into account that cars, people can also make mistakes. Even then it is not possible to prevent every accident. There is nothing fun about going under surgery because some idiot let's a passenger out in the middle of traffic.

Johnny, everyone here is trying to offer suggestions to help you brake faster and ride more safely.

Watch this video for some excellent tips to achieve better braking performance. Stay safe out there. ;)

Last edited:
He indicates a turn to the left. I want to the right. It's enough space for me, I could pass:

View attachment 65779

But he stops to early before the main road.
Direction indicator to the left still set.
Something is wrong.
I start to brake.
Suddenly, a passenger opens the door and is frightened to see me:

View attachment 65780

Nevertheless, I have a Stromer, so I ride with Stromer speed.

At least in your case it is an intersection so you can try to anticipate this. I always slow down coming to an intersection assuming that the driver or a rider can do something like this.

Now think about the case where you are on a dedicated bike lane(which is considered to be a traffic lane in the States) and not even close to an intersection, all of a sudden passenger of a car on your left opens a door all the way on front of you.

@FlatSix911 those comments are not about you. I appreciate the links but I have seen them a long time ago. Let's not prolong this discussion.

I am happy that you possess amazing riding skills and you can hop through hoops if you have to. As you have said not everyone has those skills set.

The feeling of sarcasm is an opinion. (Your opinion)
So is "nice".

This thread hijack started when you claim regen is all you need to stop. That is just simply false.
"Good thing is the regen braking usually eliminates the need for the brakes."

There is absolutely no burden for anyone to make you feel coddled.
You are probably blinded by disgust and can't be open minded like you expect everyone should.

Ask a specific question to get to most value out of the answers.
Be honest and check yourself - You asked a vague question and expects an specific answer.

I've been a motorcycle rider for 30 years and I would never put myself in the kill zone hoping someone is careful.
In fact, I ride with the idea that people are actively trying to kill me.
Doesn't matter who is at fault, the biker ALWAYS looses.

Back