my Stromer ST7 motor overheats EVERY time between 12 and 16kms and Sports-Mode immediately dies.

I can confirm, the (S) mode can get locked due to high motor temperature.

This happens also, if proper settings are used. But operating the ST7 with too low speed forces the error. However, it's not a design failure, it's because of the safety settings. Remember: Riding in the flat with 45 km/h is no reason for (S) mode! The ST7 is strong enough to do this in [3] and with redudes sensor settings. Intermittent pedaling is a sign for too high support level.

I was unable to force a ST5 in to overheat. But the smaller battery leads to a locked mode when she close to empty.

The ST2s was a complete different bike, which was clearly stronger on hill climbs. At these time, the EU restrictions were not in place.

Compared with the ST5, the ST7 is the cruiser and the ST5 the sports car. The main reasons are the two overdrive gears and the slow smart shift. But the Pirelli Angel have a little bit superior grip over the Pirelli Cycl-e. You may check this out forcing the rear wheel to lock on a clean paved road.

I follow the the debate about the ST7 since long time; just made 1'000km for testing on a ST3 Pinion, now, I'm on a ST7. Personally, I miss the automatic idle-gear selection more than I appreciate the automatic start-gear selection.

IMG_0266.jpg

This happens also, if proper settings are used. But operating the ST7 with too low speed forces the error. However, it's not a design failure, it's because of the safety settings. Remember: Riding in the flat with 45 km/h is no reason for (S) mode! The ST7 is strong enough to do this in [3] and with redudes sensor settings. Intermittent pedaling is a sign for too high support level.

I was unable to force a ST5 in to overheat. But the smaller battery leads to a locked mode when she close to empty.

The ST2s was a complete different bike, which was clearly stronger on hill climbs. At these time, the EU restrictions were not in place.

Compared with the ST5, the ST7 is the cruiser and the ST5 the sports car. The main reasons are the two overdrive gears and the slow smart shift. But the Pirelli Angel have a little bit superior grip over the Pirelli Cycl-e. You may check this out forcing the rear wheel to lock on a clean paved road.

I follow the the debate about the ST7 since long time; just made 1'000km for testing on a ST3 Pinion, now, I'm on a ST7. Personally, I miss the automatic idle-gear selection more than I appreciate the automatic start-gear selection.

Thanks. It's all a matter of preference and, for me, there is a VERY good "reason for Sports-Mode on the flat":- it's fun. I do not find that using only Gear 3 is sufficient for my speed/acceleration sensitivity requirements to warrant paying 2-3 times more than other S-Pedelecs. Once I have had a taste of Sports Mode on the ST5 and now, for 20% of my ride, on this ST7, i cannot do without it. I will even stop and unecessarily rest the bike (wait 15 minutes and reboot) just to get the S-Mode back again mid-ride. Anyway. Here is my bike's Omni screenshot - straight after an S-Mode overheat. Does yours get up to 87 CELSIUS? Thanks Bluecat

Attachments

• IMG-20230916-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230916-WA0000.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
BTW i have Schalbe Pick-ups instead of Pirelli Angels and have had no punctures (touch wood). This compares to around 20 flats in 7 years on Pirellis. We have a lot of horses hereabouts. The Schalbes are half the price too. You just have to compare the two physically to see which has the thicker nail resistant rubber and the grip is terrific. For me, Pirelli is over-hyped and over-priced and I won't be going back to them. Here you go:- https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s3/produc...35-60-584-bike-tyres-16183059?supplier=406802

Does anyone else have an ST7 where the motot heats to 87Deg C (190F)? I am taking mine back to the shop to plug in to Stromer HQ for checking. I think my motor is faulty............ ?

Attachments

• IMG-20230916-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230916-WA0000.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 75
for me, there is a VERY good "reason for Sports-Mode on the flat":- it's fun.

Hmm, We have different understanding of "fun". If I go "all in" in the flat, I'm always fighting the internal speed limiter. This is rather annoying than fun for me. So I ride in (3) and use (S) only for accelreration.

81D71CC2-C4A2-40B8-B317-BDCCD6F0E462.jpeg

Hello all,

I want to share my good experience with my ST7 I own since approximately 10 months.
I drove 2*30 km 2 to 3 days a week.
It is a very good upgrade of my ST5 I had before.
I did not encounter any major issues, finger crossed !

Stromer made a little a little useless but essential enhancement on the ST7 ARBR: they add a little belt snubber on the little derailleur hanger at the bottom of the TMM sensor (see picture).
image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

The only issue I have at the moment is I do not understand why my bike did not received the last OTA update.

I saw the last update with cruise control and it seems nice !

Did you know if there is a way to check for updates from the bike ?
I tried with the bike connected with 4G but the firmware is not downloaded.

Cheers !

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 59
Upgrade to 4.4.3.3 done thanks to my Stromer dealer.
He had to deploy the version to my ST7.

The cruise control is a very good addition ;)

I noticed that the my bike is now referenced as ST7 M99Pro.
It could means that they will renew the ST7 with a M99Pro2.

I did not encounter any major issues, finger crossed !
Good for you. I havenā€™t been as fortunate. I just received my third (!) ST7 About two weeks ago. The first two died (the electronics shorted out) and were not repairable. The first one died at about 300 miles, the second at 500 miles. The new one is noticeably better ā€” the S mode stays on when going up hills, that weird ā€œout of syncā€ feeling when squeezing and releasing the brakes is gone, and it just feels more responsive. Stromer and my dealer (The New Wheel) have been great through the entire experience, and I really appreciated their willingness to deal with the problems without hesitation. The lesson is: donā€™t be first in line to buy a new, first generation Stromer model that pushes the envelope on technology. Wait a year for issues to be resolved šŸ™‚

Good for you. I havenā€™t been as fortunate. I just received my third (!) ST7 About two weeks ago. The first two died (the electronics shorted out) and were not repairable. The first one died at about 300 miles, the second at 500 miles. The new one is noticeably better ā€” the S mode stays on when going up hills, that weird ā€œout of syncā€ feeling when squeezing and releasing the brakes is gone, and it just feels more responsive. Stromer and my dealer (The New Wheel) have been great through the entire experience, and I really appreciated their willingness to deal with the problems without hesitation. The lesson is: donā€™t be first in line to buy a new, first generation Stromer model that pushes the envelope on technology. Wait a year for issues to be resolved šŸ™‚
Are these $10k bikes crapping out?

I just did a 6-month review of my ST7 for those who may be interested. This forum has been a big help.. thank you.

Wow, Abe.. I am glad they were able to get you back on the road.. Stromer almost had to replace my bike as well but they were able to fix it.

Wow, Abe.. I am glad they were able to get you back on the road.. Stromer almost had to replace my bike as well but they were able to fix it.
Yeah, all's well that ends well, I suppose. What went wrong with your bike?

I'm on my third ST7, which I got about a month ago, after the first two completely died. The first two, while they were still working, had the S mode high-temperature shut-off issue. S mode would shut off within 60-seconds on a steep hill climb. My third ST7 does not appear to have this issue. I can climb the same steep hill -- about 10 minutes of non-stop climbing -- and S mode never shuts off. So, Stromer seems to have corrected the issue on the newer ST7's.

Yeah, all's well that ends well, I suppose. What went wrong with your bike?
The electronic controller for the smart shift (basically the plate that says smart shift on it with the light). That had to be replaced twice..but all is good now.. Such a fun bike.

The electronic controller for the smart shift (basically the plate that says smart shift on it with the light). That had to be replaced twice..but all is good now.. Such a fun bike.
Ahhh, yes - my dealer mentioned that was a problem on the early bikes and they were having to replace them often. Glad youā€™re enjoying your bike. It really is a fun ride!

So, Stromer seems to have corrected the issue on the newer ST7's.

From all newer 48V / 27Ā½" Stromer, the ST7 was the most advanced I've tested but alos the most "defective".

None of the issues did ultimately stopped the ST7 from running. But the restrictions were remarkable.

Let's have a look on my hometown in the warm morning light. Stopped my commute on "Mittlere BrĆ¼cke"

Back