New Stromer ST5 LTD

So then the quetsion is what kind of engineering mavericks the brilliant folks @ BH bikes did on the Easy motion Nitro city 2019 ??
Not engineering, it is just a software cut off for legal reasons. The motor and the controller on the ST5 are better otherwise.
Or a smaller one from Grintech if this one doesn't fit inside . I think the stock controller on Stromer is only 18amps ?

It is probably quite a bit above that. Also it has a custom pcb to fit the down tube.

I think you would do well by installing that phaserunner on your bike, that should give you the speed you want.

is probably quite a bit above that.
It could not . 650watts is the motor power. Even if Peak power is 1000 watts which i doubt , you get 1000watts:48volts =20.83ah

Mine it's 18ah for now....

A model or pic of the Stromer St5 controller would be very helpful, i could see if it could be upgraded. i'm sure that it's not a field oriented controller.

It could not . 650watts is the motor power. Even if Peak power is 1000 watts which i doubt , you get 1000watts:48volts =20.83ah

Mine it's 18ah for now....

A model or pic of the Stromer St5 controller would be very helpful, i could see if it could be upgraded. i'm sure that it's not a field oriented controller.

First of all It is definitely a real FOC controller and it is a very high quality one(I believe ASI is custom building theirs). At that price range nothing else is acceptable anyways.

It most likely is rated higher than 18A. The same controller drives 850W nominal in Eu, good companies will leave a significant headroom in their designs (18A would be right on the edge). Moreover ST5 does a great job at keeping the support same even when the battery is getting close to empty which should lead to higher current draw as the voltage drops. I couldn't find a tech doc, why don't you send them an email and ask?

You can find what the controller looks like online or in Court's ST5 video review (starts around minute 26:30). Court actually asks for the amp rating of the controller but couldn't get an answer. The pcb is a long strip, you can not switch it with a phaserunner(even if you could it may not be easy to make it work smoothly with Omni/ light moreover it is programmed differently).

Anyone have a recommendation for the best navigation computer to use for the ST5? I'm primarily interested in bike route navigation that avoids heavy car traffic, and less so for fitness (heartrate, etc.) stuff. I've tried using my phone with Apple Maps and Google, but after using the Nyon on my R&M bike, I really like the idea of a dedicated device that doesn't get interrupted with other phone stuff all the time. Also, one that can magically display the Di2 gear that I'm in would be an added bonus, but not really required.

Or a smaller one from Grintech if this one doesn't fit inside . I think the stock controller on Stromer is only 18amps ?
~45A continuous - this is a word! Saying the Stromer battery has nominal 48V, this will be 2160W.

Unfortunately, the battery will be empty within a few minutes. But even if you reduce the power to 800W, it will not work. Because your controller does not communicate with appropriate CAN bus protocol, so the battery will remain closed. But there are many ways to build your own battery. Unfortunately, we don't know anything about the interior of the Stromer motor. How many magnets, how many poles, how is the wiring, will it survive such high current - and how about the hall sensors? But alibaba will ship any hub motor, so this is also solved. After spending some extra money and work time, you'll have the "Frankenstein"-ebike with probaly the highest Vmax.

Did you consider to buy an electric scooter?

But alibaba will ship any hub motor, so this is also solved. After spending some extra money and work time, you'll have the "Frankenstein"-ebike with probaly the highest Vmax.

Did
I have to agree with all points made. That's why lately I have come to my senses that this ebike, Stromer (St3, St5, St5Ltd. ) does indeed offer the total complete package for an elite ebike that's available right now in the whole world. Well it's almost a tie with the other anglo Saxon brand i had mentioned a few days ago.

I am hoping that soon Stromer will be a lighter ebike (carbon frame ?) and maybe it can have a "ludicrous" setting to go a little faster for certain situations.

Stromer (St3, St5, St5Ltd. ) does indeed offer the total complete package for an elite ebike that's available right now in the whole world.
Only true, if you compare with ebikes that are street legal by Swiss and European law. A noticeable "extra speed" cannot be realized on a Stromer or on a competitor. It's because of the physics of the motors. They are optimized for 45 km/h in the efficiency drops sharp above this speed. With more current and voltage, you'll get a heating device for your next BBQ.

So, any american backyard brand will offer ebikes with much higher Vmax (I don't say "faster" ebikes...)

View attachment 78822View attachment 78823
Took a few extra days before I got the bike, but here it is - a beautiful new ST5 Limited Edition on its maiden voyage!

Looks very cool!
I see the New Wheel sticker and I guess they recommended a great bike for you to complement your Superdelite. They provide great service to their customers and you should have no problem keeping both of those bikes for several years.
Perhaps you could share your experience in a different thread under the Stromer forum.

Last edited:
It also feels great to ride, E shifting is precise, crisp, tires are grippy, feels very stable at high speeds and is truly silent.

But I can't see myself riding it on the east coast for example, because of snow, salt and horrible potholes. They can make models that fit these conditions too but they don't seem to care about feedback.

I am planning to get a new ebike and am considering Stromer. Your comment "snow, salt and horrible potholes" applies to my 20 mile daily commute. What about Stromer would make it more susceptible and what bikes do you think are best suited for winter conditions?

I am planning to get a new ebike and am considering Stromer. Your comment "snow, salt and horrible potholes" applies to my 20 mile daily commute. What about Stromer would make it more susceptible and what bikes do you think are best suited for winter conditions?

Potholes and snow. Fixed forks are really a problem here. Depending on how bad the road conditions are, I would at least go for a good front fork suspension plus grippy tires. This is true for every bike so if you are going to buy a stromer I would highly suggest you to get front fork suspension option and change the tires in winter(the stock tires are great in milder conditions but not snow). The good thing is Stromer tires are wide so with the right thread you will get good traction.

The second problem is derailleur setup and it is a problem with any bike with derailleurs. Salt and snow combination is very hard on the drivetrain, messy and causes rust. The solution was to use a thick wet lube, clean the bike frequently(at least lightly rinse it every week, get rid of the salt) and always leave it in a warm place so that it dries. For these conditions belts seem to be a better choice(still you will need to make sure that there is no ice/snow build up, many people report that belts will jump when it does).
So for snowy, salty and cold conditions on top of potholes I would go for a bike with an igh and belt drive, at least front fork suspension and wide tires if possible.

Last edited:
A lot of riders on these forums and others have been having motor issues with their stromers in snow, wet and colder temperatures. So beware and do thorough research before you go with stromer.

Another thing is to not underestimate how durable a good derailleur set up is as it is much more robust and much easier to service and find spare parts compared to other drivetrains. Derailleur and chain drivetrains perform much better in inclement weather as well and there is little to no power loss.

Suspension forks on e-bikes that are not e-mtbs are pointless imo. They most often only have 60mm or less of travel, are of low quality and don’t offer any tangible benefits like control or comfort. When manufacturers say it does it’s just marketing and unscrupulous dealers regurgitating that selling point to their customers.

A well constructed frame with solid front fork and derailleur drivetrain from a reputable brand with good customer support & service will serve you much better than a cheapo front suspension.

Solid forks are also much lighter, won’t freeze and require zero maintenance. Riding over potholes with a solid fork at high speeds is a non-issue with wide tires (2.0-2.4) and ofcourse keeping both hands on the grips.

Hope this helps in your decision and ride on!

Last edited:
Suspension forks on e-bikes that are not e-mtbs are pointless imo. They most often only have 60mm or less of travel, are of low quality and don’t offer any tangible benefits like control or comfort. When manufacturers say it does it’s just marketing and unscrupulous dealers regurgitating that selling point to their customers.

A well constructed frame with solid front fork and derailleur drivetrain from a reputable brand with good customer support & service will serve you much better than a cheapo front suspension.

Solid forks are also much lighter, won’t freeze and require zero maintenance. Riding over potholes with a solid fork at high speeds is a non-issue with wide tires (2.0-2.4) and ofcourse keeping both hands on the grips.
I can’t speak for freezing conditions since I live in California, but I tested the ST3 for a full day with the solid fork and recently purchased the ST5 with the suspension fork because the suspension made a big difference in ride comfort, particularly on my wrists and shoulders. I also feel the suspension seat post makes a big difference. I personally did not think the big tires alone provide enough cushion for my tastes.

purchased the ST5 with the suspension fork because the suspension made a big difference in ride comfort

Not only this, the 30mm maximum travel are also an big safety gain in comparison with the competitors long travel forks. Riding a 45 km/h commuter bike in a sporty way is no longer a risk in case of an emergency brake.

Not only this, the 30mm maximum travel are also an big safety gain in comparison with the competitors long travel forks. Riding a 45 km/h commuter bike in a sporty way is no longer a risk in case of an emergency brake.
I completely agree. There’s a large difference in the ride of my R&M Superdelite with a 140mm Fox 34 fork and the ST5’s much shorter travel/tighter suspension. The first feels like a cushy Cadillac sedan while the ST5 feels more like my Jaguar F-Type SVR sports car. Vehicles with faster acceleration, more power, better braking and cornering need tighter suspensions to perform at their best and more safely. But they still need at least some suspension to keep your teeth from falling out 🤣

OK, it seems you prefer the more lazy riding style. Hopefully, with time, you will unleash the power of your ST5! At the beginning, "fast" means riding with 45 km/h - but with time, it becomes another meaning. A corner ahead, barking at the last point, shifting back a few gears, rolling, accelerating from the center of the corner on, shifting upwards, and gone.

I did this with my old Stromer, but you will do this much faster, then you have the S5 LTD. Then, you understood what the Di2 is good for and why the WREN is like she ist. I wish you all the fun you can get!
After putting 120 miles on my ST5, I’ve revised my opinion and now truly appreciate the Di2 shifting compared to the electronic Rohloff. The Di2 is better suited to the performance of the ST5. It took some practice, but it feels faster and more natural. When I ride my Rohloff-equipped Superdelite, I now have to remember to give it more time to shift. Rohloff is well suited to the Superdelite’s more sedate style of ride, but in retrospect, I think if it was on the ST5 it would negatively impact the Stromer’s sporty performance. And while I still sometimes forget to downshift the ST5 before coming to a stop, it’s not really as important since you can pretty easily get the ST5 started on a high gear. Not so on the Superdelite, which is probably why the auto-downshift-when-stopped feature is so important on the Rohloff.

After putting 120 miles on my ST5, I’ve revised my opinion and now truly appreciate the Di2 shifting compared to the electronic Rohloff. The Di2 is better suited to the performance of the ST5.
Nice to see that my feeling was not placebo and you also came to a similar conclusion.

There’s a large difference in the ride of my R&M Superdelite with a 140mm Fox 34 fork and the ST5’s much shorter travel/tighter suspension.

I really like Fox suspension. Btw Wren is actually a bit beefier(but very short travel of course). Unfortunately misinformation is still being spread so I will be linking my reply on another thread instead of rewriting it here.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...rove-safety-on-urban-ebikes.38987/post-395955

I really like Fox suspension. Btw Wren is actually a bit beefier(but very short travel of course).
1614713763163.png

That's my Stromer. Saddle above the handlebar and a FOX 100/32 RL at the front. This was the best I could obtain 10 years ago. I can easily observe on the rings on the golden part how much fork travel I need during an ordinary ride. The FOX has a fast response eavan at 45 km/h. But on a emergency brake, the fork dives too deep and I was lifted out of the saddle; was hard to avoid flying over the handlebar. In such situations, I would prefer the ST5 with the WREN.

-some good forks come with remote lock out and for pothole free roads it's an awesome setting.

some good forks come with remote lock out
Yes, this is true.

Before we continue, have a closer look on the RL lever at my Stromer. You easily recognize the release button in the center of the picture. This button is easy to trigger. On the left you see, with some reflecting sunshine, the lock button. This button damands more action to trigger ist.

Now let's assume you are a well trained Stromer rider with very quick reflexes. You're able to lock the FOX in less than 1 second before you begin the emergency braking. But this are still 10m you ride with full speed toward collison.

Still preferring Mountain Bike equipment on a fast commuter bike?

1614969280695.png

Back