New Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra Beast - Unable to Program - Display cable fitting is a different shape

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
( I posted this in the Biktrix section, I am posting it here too since its really a Bafang issue. )

Hey Guys!

So I received my new Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra Beast yesterday, assembled and tested it and was excited about hooking up the laptop to upload the current controller settings to see what changes i would possibly make after riding it a little. When i disconnected the display port to hook up the programing adaptor i noticed the fitting was a different shape, it was V shaped instead of round.

I remember reading that Bafang was switching to a new proprietary design, i think it was called Canbus but I'm not sure about that or not. I am hoping I just need a different shape display cable.

Does anybody know if or where we are able to purchase the new adaptor cable needed to program the Ultra controller? I hope its not the case that Bafang made the new motor unprogrammable. Thankd

Attached are photos of the new V shaped display port and a photo of my programming cable.

Attachments

• IMG_8166.PNG
    IMG_8166.PNG
    319.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_8162.PNG
    IMG_8162.PNG
    271.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_8171.PNG
    IMG_8171.PNG
    298.3 KB · Views: 273
Wish I had better news for you, but I beleive your plans for programing changes are on hold for a bit. That connector is the CANBUS flag identifying it's NOT the programmable UART bus. There are people working on the software change(s) to allow riders to change their CANBUS controller settings, but to my knowledge there is nothing available - yet.:(

Are you sure you want to make any changes ? Still happy with stock settings on my 4 year old Ultra. But, I'm a leave well enough alone type of guy.

I was thinking the same thing. At the very least, I would want to ride it a bit as-is to see how I liked it. Some (most) of the programming that came on my Ultra sucked. I rode it 50 miles prior to getting mad enough at it to go through the trouble of changing the programming. I was hoping Bafang realized how important that is to have it RIGHT - especially now that they've locked it down.

I think it would be interesting to hear about specific issues you have with you bike's programming?

Those are Higo connectors and they make a dozen different styles.

Bikonit is using one that is different than what you show as well making it harder to plug and play the controller USB adapter.

That particular one is a MINI F (MALE AND FEMALE) connector.

You will need to do some digging, Find the proper HIGO connector (ebay and amazon) and then figure out the pin out and modify the cable yourself, this is what I had to do. Of course that is IF they haven’t switched to a different programming language. CANBUS is universal, used on most cars since 2003 so there are plenty of software options for looking at the code if you are tech saavy.

unless you buy in bulk Higo won’t sell to you, so happy googling you will need to find the mate on ebay or amazon and splice it yourself. Took me over a month to find the one Bikonit uses, and I ended up buying on alibaba and purchasing a case of 10 cables to get the one I needed, But they were cheap $8 plus $10 shipping.

I’ve made 8 adapters and gave them to other Bikonit owners that wanted to access the software.

WT? I thought this was only happening to the new BBSXX motors! My Ultra has malfunctioned so i reckon the replacement is going to be the same as above, that's just great! Bafang really seem to enjoy being party poopers.

WT? I thought this was only happening to the new BBSXX motors! My Ultra has malfunctioned so i reckon the replacement is going to be the same as above, that's just great! Bafang really seem to enjoy being party poopers.
Yup that's the new connector indicating that it uses the CANBUS communication protocol.
You won't be able to use the older UART programming adapter or software.
I still haven't seen anyone post anything about changing settings on CANBUS that's ready to be used by the masses.

Possibly dumb question, but isn't it just the controller that controls whether the motor is canbus or UART? If so, could people getting the new Ultras swap in a "new/old" controller?

It's an extra cost, but compared with the cost of the total bike it would be a small price to pay if you didn't like the stock programming.

Possibly dumb question, but isn't it just the controller that controls whether the motor is canbus or UART? If so, could people getting the new Ultras swap in a "new/old" controller?

It's an extra cost, but compared with the cost of the total bike it would be a small price to pay if you didn't like the stock programming.
I would ASSume yes. But it is possible that the new controller has a different internal wiring scheme and connection points in the motor.
It's also possible that it is physically different and might not line up with different mounting points

Yup, I'd agree. Time for some patience. They'll crack the CANBUS. The right kind of guys are working on it.....

Yup, I'd agree. Time for some patience. They'll crack the CANBUS. The right kind of guys are working on it.....
Many popular pickups and sportier cars have had their codes cracked by aftermarket tuner folks, and I'd be shocked if Bafang's code was more secure than the big automotive manufacturers. But it is China...LOL!

I just went for a nice test ride.... the power cuts in and out and is very jerky. There is a delay before the power cuts out. I am extremely annoyed over this because i know all the roughness can be programmed away. Biktrix is no help they replied to me that its the new Canbus interface and cannot be programmed and that Bafang tuned the motor for optimal performance. If this cannot be programmed bafang went from having an awesome product to having a mediocre product at best. I feel after speding $4000+ dollars this is unacceptable.

I just went for a nice test ride.... the power cuts in and out and is very jerky. There is a delay before the power cuts out. I am extremely annoyed over this because i know all the roughness can be programmed away. Biktrix is no help they replied to me that its the new Canbus interface and cannot be programmed and that Bafang tuned the motor for optimal performance. If this cannot be programmed bafang went from having an awesome product to having a mediocre product at best. I feel after speding $4000+ dollars this is unacceptable.
So, Biktrix can't add their special sauce anymore ?

So, Biktrix can't add their special sauce anymore ?
That's a great question??? Are dealers and bike companies able to tune it. It would be great if Roshan from biktrix can chime in and let us know if they are using their torque settings that are supposed to work very well.

Delay: the function time of an electronic system featuring a rotating static strain gauge, lookup tables, governing the power system.
"Torque Sensor Mean: You Pedal Like Donkey While Riding Up The Hill"

This is awful, im really hoping @AHicks is right because from what im reading here Bafang's optimum tuning sounds gross! My Ultra was poorly tuned at best but it was still amazing compared to what @Ridetoglide is describing!

Based on what I've read, there is supposedly existing access to that CANBUS programming, but it's only available at the dealer level. There is a license involved, proving that you are a dealer, to keep end users out.

It'll be interesting to see how the bike manf's handle this (including Biktrix). That would be assuming they wanted access though. Thought here being the required interest on their part in messing with it -AND- what the end product will ride like.

We'll see.

Sorry to hear the stock programming still sucks. Hope all this is resolved quickly! Fingers crossed for all involved. This sounds like it's going to be a mess, at least early on. There are going to be a LOT of these ULTRA CANBUS bikes hitting the ground here soon....

Sorry to hear the stock programming still sucks. Hope all this is resolved quickly! Fingers crossed for all involved. This sounds like it's going to be a mess, at least early on. There are going to be a LOT of these ULTRA CANBUS bikes hitting the ground here soon....
Well my motor is in route and due to arrive thursday, i will be installing it right away! Im still hoping that maybe i get an old stock motor but thats not the kinda of luck i have lol.

Well my motor is in route and due to arrive thursday, i will be installing it right away! Im still hoping that maybe i get an old stock motor but thats not the kinda of luck i have lol.
Kinda odd that they didn't confirm with you especially since this is a transition period. If you get the latest motor you'll need a new display.

Kinda odd that they didn't confirm with you especially since this is a transition period. If you get the latest motor you'll need a new display.
They mentioned nothing so im hoping this means they were able to get their hands on an older motor, they(Rize) know my bike is a 2020.

Back