New Juggernaut Ultra Beast - Unable to Program - Display cable fitting is a different shape

This is bad. Everyone is different?.
We are talking about a 1.5kw motor not a 250w one which would be understandable.
If they are going to supply a 1.5kw motor it needs to be to adjustable to the riders style personally I think it's dangerous and I'm not getting involved in the what looks like a guinea pig stage.

We are talking about a 1.5kw motor not a 250w one which would be understandable.
If they are going to supply a 1.5kw motor it needs to be to adjustable to the riders style personally I think it's dangerous and I'm not getting involved in the what looks like a guinea pig stage.
Milquetoast

You nailed it right on the head... It has a lot of power and needs to be customizable to for the rider. I took the bike off-roading on the beach and in trails yesterday... the throttle is very sensitive and too powerful and Its use was limited. There were many instances where i needed the throttle to get through rough terrain where i did not want to be peddling at that moment but could not use it because its too sensitive. On the contrary when the throttle is set to "By Displays Command" it only commands the max power of the current assist level.... i can just floor the throttle and received an appropriate amount of power.... it is much more usable that way.

Couldn't agree more, especially the guinea pig stage part. We're talking about a pretty awesome motor here. Bikes with the level of performance available from an Ultra need to be ridden carefully by experienced riders. The bike needs to be controllable on a level able to make the rider comfortable. If the motor is going to remain popular, or increase in popularity, that level, whatever it is, is not going to be the same for everyone.

I'm sorry, not buying into this. If this were true, ANY QC program (assuming there is one) would have had one of these bikes assembled and ridden prior to shipping them. I doubt seriously any attempt at verifying the "requested" changes was made. If a verification ride HAD been done, the results of that ride would likely be widely known among company management.....
Ridetoglide said:

Did biktrix adjust the torque settings ( Biktrix's Sause) after receiving the motor from bafang?

We made our recommendations and Bafang tells us they made those changes. Unfortunately, since we can't read the settings on CANBUS, we can't verify those changes. We can only ride and see if it rides well or not.

Taming down the beast is

This is interesting - I will need to check with Bafang and get back to you.

We should be able to adjust this. Note that unlike UART, CANBUS doesnt currently have a UI to make these changes. So we (OEM) need to make requests to Bafang on specific changes and they would then send us a bin file (firmware update) to load to the motor.

Would need to check on this as well.

That's good!

Yeah, unlike UART, CANBUS doesnt currently have a UI to make these changes. So we (OEM) need to make requests to Bafang on specific changes and they would then send us a bin file (firmware update) to load to the motor.

We made our recommendations and Bafang tells us they made those changes. Unfortunately, since we can't read the settings on CANBUS, we can't verify those changes. We can only ride and see if it rides well or not.

Answered above

I do what I can :p
Hello Roshan.... An update... I took the bike for a good ride on the beach and in trails yesterday. The tires were aired down to 7 psi.

1. The power in assist 1 while off-roading is just right. It is much more suitable with the increased load on the motor.

2. The motor cut out delay I would like to eventually have reduced or eliminated ("Time of Stop (x10ms)" set to 0)

3. The throttle I would prefer set to "By displays command". Some insight to why I prefer this..... while off-roading when i need to take my feel off the pedals or stand on the pedals the throttle comes in very handy however, it is a very sensitive short throw throttle. With the throttle set to max assist it is very easy to give it too much throttle for the current conditions especially when applied while moving.

Luna Cycle sells the Bafang Besst Service tool for flashing different Canbus firmware versions for the M600 motor on their X1. Since there is no longer a UI via the UART protocol it would be great if there was a way for customers to request certain settings and a custom firmware could be written for them either through Bafang or a dealer such as Biktrix. I would have no problem investing in the BESST service tool for $100 and paying a small fee for the firmware in order to accomplish this.

Thanks again.... Mike

The only thing I didn't like about my Ultra was the throttle response. Too jumpy. I took it off and don't miss it a bit.

Couldn't agree more, especially the guinea pig stage part. We're talking about a pretty awesome motor here. Bikes with the level of performance available from an Ultra need to be ridden carefully by experienced riders. The bike needs to be controllable on a level able to make the rider comfortable. If the motor is going to remain popular, or increase in popularity, that level, whatever it is, is not going to be the same for everyone.

I'm sorry, not buying into this. If this were true, ANY QC program (assuming there is one) would have had one of these bikes assembled and ridden prior to shipping them. I doubt seriously any attempt at verifying the "requested" changes was made. If a verification ride HAD been done, the results of that ride would likely be widely known among company management.....

(Please correct me if I am wrong ) I have read that the North American market is small fish for Bafang. Users in most countries overseas are not as concerned about performance as much as Americans do and are content riding the bike as is... therefore Bafang is not very concerned whether the motor settings are customizable by the user or not.

If this is the case that is a huge oversight by Bafang. I thing the American market is about to explode. ( Roshan you are in a good position ). With the Stunner X, just about every time i go riding someone asked me about the ebike and says they are interested in getting one. And my Juggernaut Beast..... Forget about it!!!! Just about ever person pass turns their head.... no joke. I think there are going to be hundreds of thousands of North Americans buying ebikes within the next few years and for Bafang to neglect North American customers is a big mistake on their part.

(Please correct me if I am wrong ) I have read that the North American market is small fish for Bafang. Users in most countries overseas are not as concerned about performance as much as Americans do and are content riding the bike as is... therefore Bafang is not very concerned whether the motor settings are customizable by the user or not.

If this is the case that is a huge oversight by Bafang. I thing the American market is about to explode. ( Roshan you are in a good position ). With the Stunner X, just about every time i go riding someone asked me about the ebike and says they are interested in getting one. And my Juggernaut Beast..... Forget about it!!!! Just about ever person pass turns their head.... no joke. I think there are going to be hundreds of thousands of North Americans buying ebikes within the next few years and for Bafang to neglect North American customers is a big mistake on their part.
Regarding countries other than the US, most have a 250w max limit (to my understanding). I doubt seriously there are many Bafang mid drives in use (legally) in other parts of the world. Point being, clearly Bafang believes there IS a potential market for motors over 250w - so maybe we aren't "small fish" in their eyes?

The only thing I didn't like about my Ultra was the throttle response. Too jumpy. I took it off and don't miss it a bit.
As you no longer have one, you'll need to trust me when I say that throttle USED to be easily tamed into something very useful using the controller settings.

As you no longer have one, you'll need to trust me when I say that throttle USED to be easily tamed into something very useful using the controller settings.
Hopefully someone "cracks the Canbus" and creates a program that can create modified firmwares that can be flashed via a tool similar to the Bafang BESST service tool.

From what I've read, they're working on it!

I believe you, but I have no use for throttles on bicycles. With 1500 watts , acceleration from a dead stop is no problem.

Back