Thinking about switching from a Canbus to a New Uart Motor

Ridetoglide,
Thank you for the info,
I am doing the same thing, changing over to the Uart motor, just for the programming aspect.
I stated to pull my motor for the second time and found out that the battery power cables had a thin wire soldered to the connection battery plug and I could not find out where this thin elect cable went to or attached etc. (Pulled the top battery connection, 4 pin plug to see the wiring.)

So I ordered a snake camera camera to go onto my Samsung camera, not here yet, then I can see down inside that main down tube, (I have a Wart Hog MD 750) same bike as yours, the camera has not arrived yet.

I ordered a 4 connection plug, main wiring harness and was sent a 5 connection plug, (I believe that the 5th plug is for lights etc. I don't know if this makes a difference).
I could pull/move the main harness cable, I did hit a tight spot, tied nylon twine to fish back into the proper place, and did not want to force it, reason for the snake camera attachment etc.

I also bought the same Uart parts as you did, do you really need to change out the speed sensor?
All the other parts I can see changing. And you are correct, there is NOT a lot of room between the frame and motor casing for all the wiring that passes thru there etc.

I am going to check the motor and add a good quality Corn Head grease to the gear train before I install the Uart motor back etc.
When everything is working OK, I plan on following Jon A setting has he and I do the same type of back country riding, off road and cow trails etc.

Thank you,
Don
I think i am going to use the canbus harness, just have to make sure the wiring is the same. I will have to change the 8 prong JST connector, female to male and cut off the triangle display fitting and splice on the circular fitting. I just have to test to make sure all the wires are the same. Green bike kit sells the 8 pin connectors, just have to solder the wires to the pins and make sure I get the order correct!!

You will need to change the speed sensor, the canbus speed sensor has 4 wires and the uart has 3.

I did notice an additional (smaller) power cable connected to one of the main battery cables and have no idea what it is for.

The Uart motor is a 1000% improvement in smoothness and performance. The canbus motor i had was very powerful but the bafang factory programming was HORRIBLE!!!

I will need to adjust my programming over time, I accomplished about 70% of my desired changes. Right now its seems i have to peddle hard to get it above 90rpm, the bike seems to have a lot of power between 70 to 80rpm and wants to stay there. I may have to adjust StartKG and FullKG at speed60 and speed80. And also base voltage, it is at 500 right now i am thinking of lowering it to 300. I already increased ReturnKG (from 5,4,3,2,1,1 to 11,8,6,4,2,1) to lesson some of the ghost pedaling but the results seem to be marginal if any which is ok, i rather have some ghost peddling than have to motor cutout constantly like the Canbus did.

Overall I am very happy with the Uart swap. I am going to take it onto the beach later on this morning to see how it performs on the sand.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 173
The Uart motor is a 1000% improvement in smoothness and performance. The canbus motor i had was very powerful but the bafang factory programming was HORRIBLE!!!
Wait, you are saying the Uart motor is less powerful than the CANBUS ? So if I need power I need CANBUS?

And I have another question. There are batteries with CAN protocol communication. Will such battery work with Uart Bafang m620 motor?

Here is the battery with CAN protocol. It has 6 pins interface. Can it be paired with UART Bafang m620 motor or CAN Bafang m620 motor in the only option for this battery?

Attachments

• image_2022-12-05_010909902.png
    image_2022-12-05_010909902.png
    416.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image_2022-12-05_011218797.png
    image_2022-12-05_011218797.png
    357.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
The UART and CANBUS based motors are identical, so identical power on tap available from either. The difference is the controllers. This is where the issue is. The UART controller is very easily set up with the Frey Smooth tune, making it one of the most sophisticated available. This allows excellent management of a torque monster motor. The CANBUS, using the OEM controller programming, is like a bull in a China shop....

The UART and CANBUS based motors are identical, so identical power on tap available from either. The difference is the controllers. This is where the issue is. The UART controller is very easily set up with the Frey Smooth tune, making it one of the most sophisticated available. This allows excellent management of a torque monster motor. The CANBUS, using the OEM controller programming, is like a bull in a China shop....
Lol... was that an intentional pun?

Wait, you are saying the Uart motor is less powerful than the CANBUS ? So if I need power I need CANBUS?

And I have another question. There are batteries with CAN protocol communication. Will such battery work with Uart Bafang m620 motor?

Here is the battery with CAN protocol. It has 6 pins interface. Can it be paired with UART Bafang m620 motor or CAN Bafang m620 motor in the only option for this battery?
No, like Ahicks said the motors are identical in power. But because my custom uart program was so much smoother it felt like it had less power but that is only because the power delivery is more gradual. If i laid into the pedal with some force which i dont normally do the power was all there. The factory program in the canbus motor was rough and got annoying after a while. It was powerful but the delivery was not ideal.

Back