My 2015 EVO Street Has Arrived!

Your 30 miles on one charge sounds right on a US bike.
If you want longer range you can switch to a Euro backwheel. This will give you lower top speed but longer range.

Your speed uphill sounds a little low. On my video from Mont Ventoux you can see my speeds togehter with the grade.
From 10 minutes you will see the steepest part of the climp.

On my Race I can go 3-6 mph faster uphill in boost when I use the smallest gear ring in front compared to the largest.
This trick has no effect on my Jumper.
But of course speed uphill mostly depend on the riders weight.

On my Race I get around 80 km in range in boost mode.

And yes you shuold charge your battery every time you have ridden the bike.
I guess my bike has done 500 charges now and it still has the same range and top speed as when it was new.

I have a coupke of times experienced the battery go total dead from one bar instead of flashing first. Each time I had forgot to lock the battery with the key.

@Peter ! I've watched your videos in their entirety before I ever got my eBike. Your range is so impressive.

----------

Just back from a 20.2 mile ride!

There were headwinds a lot of the time and my legs felt like lead. Some of the ride felt like lead, actually. I had to use 'Sport' and 'Boost' modes quite a bit, except for the downhills where I turned off PAS altogether. There was 1 light left on my battery when I checked it after taking it off the bike after getting home. I doubt the bike could have gone 30 miles today with the level of PAS I needed.

I dropped the first battery bar at 4.4 mi into the ride. :-O That's not good. I got off the bike and locked out the front suspension at that point and tried my best to use 'Standard' and 'Eco' PAS a bit more, as I knew with not even getting 5 mi to one bar I wasn't going to be able to do the entire 20 mi loop. My battery was fully charged, btw, and tire pressure was just fine. 2nd bar dropped just over 10 mi, so I knew I could at least complete the 20 mile ride.

I was feeling range anxiety again today and I started thinking about that. The fact that I wasn't sure my bike was going to get to 20mi when I first got going, with the headwinds blowing and me needing the highest levels of assist, is what freaked me out. Instead of getting stronger, it feels like I'm weaker than when I started riding the bike.

Anyway... here are the stats for today:

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 1.54.41 PM.jpg

elevation_profile

@PowerMe love the graph version of the stats! Easy way to visualize. Just to be sure, were you on flat ground or at a stop when the first bar of the battery gauge dropped? Many battery level sensors are not the most accurate under load and will change when you come to a stop or on level ground. Some of the digital variety are better; however, it appears that the more bars provided for battery gauge measurement, the more accurate the info. Congrats on that ride.

@Ann M., I was not stopped, and I was on relatively flat ground at the time. In fact, right after the bar dropped, I then stopped my bike and got off, as I had the suspension on and I turned it to OFF, hoping that would help me getting better mileage.

I'm concerned that my range seems poor compared to what other people get on their bikes, and is at the very bottom of the range Easy Motion estimates for this particular bike with this particular battery. They estimate 30 - 60 miles. If I'm careful I can get up to 30. If I'm not careful and I'm using the highest levels ('Sport' and 'Boost') then it could cut out before 30 mi (like at 25 mi).

@PowerMe Your bike vs Peter's will be very different in range, don't let it get you down. A more sporting posture (body core over the cranks) allows you to dig in and apply more muscle power to the peddles. With your bike you are much more upright with crank forward of your body core. Comparing range with another rider will never give you a result you will be happy with, you'll either feel superior or inferior. Compare enjoyment factor, much more gratifying!

AND some days we have our A game and other days we just don't:)

Just keep track of when that first bar drops and your total mileage per ride for a week or two if you can ride daily. Make sure that the cycle computer/console is set to the proper wheel diameter since this will affect the data you get. Or if your console doesn't provide a trip odometer, you can add an ok computer for $2o or less (use wired type). There is a certain number of charge cycles you will need to go through before that new lithium battery is at 100% range. They increase over about 5 or 6 charge cycles, approx. If it continues past the two week mark, ask you dealer to check the battery. Occasionally, not common, but there could be a weak or bad cell in a new pack and that would be a warranty issue. Really don't think there's anything to worry about at this time.

My bike comes with a console in which you can see mileage per trip. My wheel diameter is setup properly (for the 26" tire). In addition, I always use the app "RideWithGPS," which keeps a log of each ride, distance, time moving, average speed and other stats. I sure wish Easy Motion included an estimated range left on their bike consoles -- that would be very helpful to see as I'm riding. Right now it's just guesswork and watching when each bar drops (which I already do).

I think I need to purchase a 2nd battery and then my range anxiety will disappear as long as I have a spare with me. Either that or I simply cannot do a ride over 25 mi with any confidence at having battery power left, without the need for recharging.

Last edited:
Yeah. JR is right. Dont let my range get to you ☺.
It is not directly compareble to your bike. My bike has skinny tires. A skinny rider (70 kegs). Lean forward position ( have not thought of that before). Weaker and therefore more energy saving motor. And last but not least. (Ooh I hate to ask you this :). What is your weight. It has a huge influence on your range. To my memory I did a loose calculation some time ago that said that one kg above my seventy takes one kilometre of your range.
I also have a Euro speced Jumper. Here my range in boost is only 45 km s.

21.8 mi ride tonight was with the cycling group that meets every Tuesday. This was my 2nd time riding with them and I was able to go fast enough to keep up with the "middle" group, which averaged 16.1 mph. Even better than that, I was riding in a pace line and was able to take advantage of some drafting, so my battery use was better.

1st bar dropped at 7.2 mi
2nd bar dropped around 16 mi
Was expecting to see the 3rd bar drop, but it hadn't when I was done with the ride at 21.8 mi.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 9.50.57 PM.jpg

21.8 mi ride tonight was with the cycling group that meets every Tuesday. This was my 2nd time riding with them and I was able to go fast enough to keep up with the "middle" group, which averaged 16.1 mph. Even better than that, I was riding in a pace line and was able to take advantage of some drafting, so my battery use was better.

1st bar dropped at 7.2 mi
2nd bar dropped around 16 mi
Was expecting to see the 3rd bar drop, but it hadn't when I was done with the ride at 21.8 mi.

View attachment 3191

Wow, good gains! ...and your second good-length ride recently.

Progress!!! :)

A couple people suggested or assumed that my goal was to "eventually get rid of the eBike and ride a regular bike." :cool::rolleyes: Umm no. I don't care if people dislike my bike or the fact that I have electric assist. Too darn bad. I didn't argue with them but it made me very aware of how there's a stigma attached with regular cycling folk towards ebikes.

I think you were at the sweet spot with 16mph. I've read many accounts that state 16 is the most efficient speed for an ebike. Way to go!

DO NOT EVER PURCHASE FROM BIKEBLING.COM!

This is the company I ordered my Brooks saddle from on 5/20/15. They claim they ship in 1 to 3 business days. They don't tell you when an item is not in stock so they leave you waiting and waiting. I called them 3 times and they kept promising my saddle would be sent out right away.

I finally got them to ship (expedited) my Brooks saddle, which they were waiting to come into stock and finally did. Guess what? They sent me the wrong saddle -- they sent the men's version, but they had slapped a label on the outside Brooks box, over the original label from the manufacturer, to make it look like it was the women's version. But the cardboard inside that the saddle is attached to, shows the real model number and it is indeed the men's version.

Busted!

I called them and let them know exactly what I think of their company and service. They claim it was a mistake not done on purpose and they say they are sending out the 'correct' saddle to me to receive on Monday. We'll see....

I will never do business with them again, that much is for sure.

Carpe Diem!

Look what finally arrived! I made them send out the replacement via overnight express after all their screw-ups, and they did!

It's so perty. I already gave it its first Proofide treatment.

Attachments

• Brooks Saddle Collage.jpg
    Brooks Saddle Collage.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 455
Damn, Damn, Damn!

This gorgeous Brooks B17 S Ladies seat will not fit into the rail beds of the NCX SP-12 Suspension Seat post. The Brooks rails are not quite far enough apart. I tried for 20 min and finally gave up.

My choices now are:

Keep the Brooks seat and get a different suspension seat post ($$$)

or

Keep my existing setup with NCX SP-12 seat post and the seat that came with my bike (yes it works and works well) and return or sell the Brooks.

Wahhhhhh.

I have a cable lock that can go through it, but right now that saddle is locked up inside my house and not on any bike. :(

So far my bike has never been left anywhere. I've ridden it then come directly home. I'd be inclined to remove the seatpost with the seat attached if I did need to leave my bike anywhere for more than a few minutes because I'm also using a suspension seatpost and I don't want that stolen either.

Back