My 2015 EVO Street Has Arrived!

Powerme,
10 miles is a long ride. Keep having fun.

Flat tires are unavoidable. I didn't see you mention carrying a kit to replace a tube; but those flats always come far away from home.
Chain lube and tire inflation are the easiest ways to keep riding efficient. My friends use Tri-flow Teflon for a chain lube, so I do also. They clean the chain when washing their bikes with a quick rub with a sponge, which seems to work well.
An old fashioned floor pump helps keep the tires rolling easily; avoid gas station compressed air since it will have oil and moisture.

Mike
Colorado, USA

I once blew a tire tube on a gas station pump. But that was once out of a hundred times. Now I have a nice floor pump (aka shop pump) with a gauge.

Time for my eBike's 1st adjustment/checkup so I'm dropping my eBike off today. It will get it's new MG-1 pedals installed as well (I don't have the necessary pedal tool). Will get it back tomorrow, though rains are predicted starting today and lasting through the weekend (sigh...)

Picked up my bike yesterday after it's first tune-up and later went on a short bike ride with a friend (she doesn't have an eBike so we only rode 6 mi as we did encounter some hills along the way and she was feeling it). It was quite nice to not be lagging far behind, huffing & puffing. I went slow (8 - 10mph on average) to accommodate her pace and not get too far ahead.

For the first service tuneup: got the front derailleur adjusted, chain checked, cleaned & lubed, all connections checked, gears checked, spokes inspected, tires inspected & wheels trued, hydraulic brakes checked & debris blown out (he said everyone should do this after every ride...blow some compressed air to remove any debris that's accumulated near the disk brake, after a ride). The back light was indeed not working as I had reported earlier, and the LBS found the wire connection had come undone from the front light (no slack in that front light with with wires) so he reattached that with the admonition to not move the front light forward/down as there is zero slack with the connecting wire.

LOVE my new white Wellgo MG-1 pedals! I purchased them several weeks ago, but waited to have my LBS put them on since I don't have a pedal wrench. I've dubbed these pedals the (un)official EBR eBike pedal since so many people here have put them on their eBikes and highly recommend them. They grip superbly, just as Court & everyone else said. The white matches my white Evo Street bike frame.

Also 2 thumbs up for the Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seatpost (aka the good & cheaper alternative to the Thudbuster), which I installed a couple weeks ago and experienced on yesterday's very bumpy mostly sidewalk bike ride. Makes a big difference, to the point that I didn't even need to wear my chamois bike shorts, with no sit bone pain whatsoever, not even going over railroad tracks 3 different times.

I mentioned in another post yesterday I placed an order for the ORP horn, which I found the white color was on sale for $20 less on Amazon, and I also purchased a hi-vis vest on eBay ($5)

Last edited:
Picked up my bike yesterday after it's first tune-up and later went on a short bike ride with a friend (she doesn't have an eBike so we only rode 6 mi as we did encounter some hills along the way and she was feeling it). It was quite nice to not be lagging far behind, huffing & puffing. I went slow (8 - 10mph on average) to accommodate her pace and not get too far ahead.

For the first service tuneup: got the front derailleur adjusted, chain checked, cleaned & lubed, all connections checked, gears checked, spokes inspected, tires inspected & wheels trued, hydraulic brakes checked & debris blown out (he said everyone should do this after every ride...blow some compressed air to remove any debris that's accumulated near the disk brake, after a ride). The back light was indeed not working as I had reported earlier, and the LBS found the wire connection had come undone from the front light (no slack in that front light with with wires) so he reattached that with the admonition to not move the front light forward/down as there is zero slack with the connecting wire.

LOVE my new white Wellgo MG-1 pedals! I purchased them several weeks ago, but waited to have my LBS put them on since I don't have a pedal wrench. I've dubbed these pedals the (un)official EBR eBike pedal since so many people here have put them on their eBikes and highly recommend them. They grip superbly, just as Court & everyone else said. The white matches my white Evo Street bike frame.

Also 2 thumbs up for the Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seatpost (aka the good & cheaper alternative to the Thudbuster), which I installed a couple weeks ago and experienced on yesterday's very bumpy mostly sidewalk bike ride. Makes a big difference, to the point that I didn't even need to wear my chamois bike shorts, with no sit bone pain whatsoever, not even going over railroad tracks 3 different times.

I mentioned in another post yesterday I placed an order for the ORP horn, which I found the white color was on sale for $20 less on Amazon, and I also purchased a hi-vis vest on eBay ($5)
I've only ridden a few times with non ebike riders, you must have a great deal of self control! More than meo_O I do enjoy letting others ride my bike and they always want to... Then when they ask "how much are they?" I get: "for a bicycle?" It's still a lot of fun though to see their grin when I can't keep up on their bike. Love the pedals, hope you like the ORP! Keep the log going, wish I had started one:)

I don't plan to or need to use the strobe lights. I don't ride at night. A quick toot-toot on the horn is only for use when necessary, not to be used just to be a nuisance or try to get attention when not needed. I ring my cute little included bell on my bike now and no one ever hears it: not pedestrians until I'm almost upon them and certainly no one in a car can hear it. A horn is a safety device, not something that should be abused.

If someone is blasting their music and wearing earphones or are in a car not paying attention and are a potential danger for me, then for sure I'm going to use the louder horn to get their attention to avoid any collision. 96 decibels is nothing when compared to Hornit's 140 dbs, as well as other horns available in the marketplace.

Great answer! I know that you face unfavorable biking conditions there and also have few real bike paths.
I worry about bicyclists who use the street, unless it's a quiet residential neighborhood. I'm too chicken to do it! :)

I joined a "Slow Spokes" meetup group in my area. Well... let me tell you, there is nothing slow about this group! The fastest folks were maintaining a 21+mph pace, the next group was going about 18 - 19 mph. I was in the laggard group (3 of us total) going on average 13.4 mph over the 17 mi ride. There were times I did get up to 20 mph but I couldn't maintain that unless I was in boost mode and I was trying to conserve my battery. The 2 faster sub-groups were doing a longer loop of 24 mi and I wanted to do the shorter 17 mi loop so I stayed with the 2 slower riders most of the time, although there were times I was riding faster and had gotten ahead. Dropped 1 bar around 10 mi, so that was pretty good. I was already down 1 bar from a ride the other day.

We were passed multiple times by several super fast Ironman type racer groups in their peloton formations. One group had at least 30 riders together.

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 9.02.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 9.05.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 9.08.59 PM.jpg

Last edited:
The looks I got as I got my bike down off the rack was hilarious. Absolute stares. A couple brave souls came right over, "is that an electric bike?" yessss... will you let me ride with you; I'm slow I promise! One guy didn't realize it was an eBike and he was behind me and telling me my fender was rubbing on my back wheel. Huh? Then I realized he was hearing the sound of the hub motor. So I informed him that sound was the motor since it's an eBike. OH!

I assured everyone I would not be using the throttle at all. "We'd never know..." "Well *I* would know and I'm trying to get exercise, so pedal assist is all I'll use." To keep up with the fast group I would have needed boost mode + aggressive pedaling on top of it.

You really need a speed pedelec to keep up with these serious roadie cyclists. 20mph doesn't really cut it at all, as it turns out. They were easily doing 24 mph on the flats.

You really need a speed pedelec to keep up with these serious roadie cyclists. 20mph doesn't really cut it at all, as it turns out. They were easily doing 24 mph on the flats.

Actually if its hilly enough you can sorta keep up. I've had Lycra riders pull away from me on level and downhills and catch up with them on climbs, the steeper the better.

I assured everyone I would not be using the throttle at all. "We'd never know..." "Well *I* would know and I'm trying to get exercise, so pedal assist is all I'll use."

Throttle = motor only
Pedal-assist = motor + your pedaling

So actually you were using the more powerful choice! (except that you said you did not use boost mode, so that levels it out) :)

I spent probably the most time in standard mode as Eco wasn't enough for me on this ride. On the hills I had to use Sport mode. I was definitely working, pushing those pedals. I was in boost mode for maybe 1 min total out of the whole 17.4 mi.

Since I'm already taking Aleve for my shoulder injury, the soreness isn't too bad today. ;) Actually it's my arms/shoulders that are sore, as I was in a more aggressive riding position during some parts of the ride. I'm sure I looked silly tucking a bit with the upright handlebars on the downhills. LOL.

The ORP horn arrived yesterday. Charged it up, tried it out!

Turns out *I* don't like loud noises so I will be especially careful with using this horn, and only do so when I really need to make my presence known for safety reasons.

signed,
the sensitive ORP user

P.S. One of the sounds they need to add is someone yelling, "ON YOUR LEFT!" or "PASSING ON YOUR LEFT!"

I joined this National Bike Challenge being pushed (ahem) by EBR team leaders Brambor & J.R. My legs are doing fine but my arms & shoulders ache. I'm trying to put less weight on my arms as I ride, and I'm in a more casual riding posture, but my shoulders are a weak point, especially with the "frozen shoulder/adhesive capsilitis" issue (and having big boobs).

My phys therapist isn't pleased that I'm putting stress on my shoulders and increasing the impingement, which I'm trying to get un-impinged. I'm going to have to play with the handlebars on my eBike. They can be changed without the use of tools.

Anyway, not an excuse, just a reality I'm dealing with.

Back