MY23 Riese and Muller Supercharger 2 GT Rohloff - 53cm - Warm Silver Matt

An update: I had to pull out of the tour on day 7 due to an Achilles Heel injury, which I suspect was a result of a change to my pedalling technique with my left leg. But first, I did ride 526 km without any bike issues; well, besides getting bogged four times ... a process of locking the wheels due to the amount of mud, finding a stick, clearing the mud, pushing forward a few metres in search of harder ground; rinse and repeat. Of course, at the point where I left that road, there was a sign, 'Closed for Winter.' :)

Back to the injury. At the last moment on my departure day, my parcels arrived from Germany, so I decided to make some quick changes to the bike setup. The critical one was using a mount for a bottle cage (for some stupid reason, I only ordered one instead of two), which meant shifting the water bottle cage mount to the front of the pannier on the down-stay. I also decided to go with the panniers instead of the saddle bag (that was a good decision as it allowed me a little bit of flexibility in carrying things).

With the water bottle cage in front of the left pannier, I rode with my foot slightly further forward on the pedal, whereas normally, I am a front-of-foot-on-the-pedal person. I suspect that this may have resulted in the damage to my Achilles. Also, I may have had the seat a few millimetres too high, but it was too late when I decided to lower it by 5 mm.

Reading about Achilles injuries and cycling, I see that seat height and pedalling techniques are known causes.

Anyway, besides the injury, the ride on the bike was a good experience. I found that I pretty much stuck to cruising in Eco mode, and then with around 20 km to go for the day, I would up the assistance to Tour or Sport or a combination of both just because I could :)

Based on each day's riding, I estimate that I could get a range of around 171 km, so well within the distances I wished to ride daily.

The only technical issues I had where

[1] Post the day getting bogged, I noticed that if I was in the wrong gear and pushed too hard on the pedals, I got a clunk. I have not yet been able to narrow down the source.

[2] The Bosch Nyon and Komoot do not play well. If I went, off course, the Nyon would not pick up the route again and show the turn-by-turn directions or the other data related to ETA, etc. Whereas my Garmin 1030 would do this. It was not a big issue, but it should still work better than this. I did try a reset, but that didn't help.

View attachment 178386

View attachment 178387
The Americans call that peanut butter mud I believe. Nasty.

An update: I had to pull out of the tour on day 7 due to an Achilles Heel injury, which I suspect was a result of a change to my pedalling technique with my left leg. But first, I did ride 526 km without any bike issues; well, besides getting bogged four times ... a process of locking the wheels due to the amount of mud, finding a stick, clearing the mud, pushing forward a few metres in search of harder ground; rinse and repeat. Of course, at the point where I left that road, there was a sign, 'Closed for Winter.' :)

Back to the injury. At the last moment on my departure day, my parcels arrived from Germany, so I decided to make some quick changes to the bike setup. The critical one was using a mount for a bottle cage (for some stupid reason, I only ordered one instead of two), which meant shifting the water bottle cage mount to the front of the pannier on the down-stay. I also decided to go with the panniers instead of the saddle bag (that was a good decision as it allowed me a little bit of flexibility in carrying things).

With the water bottle cage in front of the left pannier, I rode with my foot slightly further forward on the pedal, whereas normally, I am a front-of-foot-on-the-pedal person. I suspect that this may have resulted in the damage to my Achilles. Also, I may have had the seat a few millimetres too high, but it was too late when I decided to lower it by 5 mm.

Reading about Achilles injuries and cycling, I see that seat height and pedalling techniques are known causes.

Anyway, besides the injury, the ride on the bike was a good experience. I found that I pretty much stuck to cruising in Eco mode, and then with around 20 km to go for the day, I would up the assistance to Tour or Sport or a combination of both just because I could :)

Based on each day's riding, I estimate that I could get a range of around 171 km, so well within the distances I wished to ride daily.

The only technical issues I had where

[1] Post the day getting bogged, I noticed that if I was in the wrong gear and pushed too hard on the pedals, I got a clunk. I have not yet been able to narrow down the source.

[2] The Bosch Nyon and Komoot do not play well. If I went, off course, the Nyon would not pick up the route again and show the turn-by-turn directions or the other data related to ETA, etc. Whereas my Garmin 1030 would do this. It was not a big issue, but it should still work better than this. I did try a reset, but that didn't help.

View attachment 178386

View attachment 178387
Thanks for update - sorry to hear of your achilles tendon injury.
I snapped my achilles tendon years ago playing basketball and it's never really been right since so you do want to look after it.

Lovely photos of the journey too - thanks for sharing!

A few odds and end photos ...

_.jpg

It passed by whilst I had lunch about a metre away ...

_-4.jpg

Maintaining the road for me :)

_-3.jpg

Storms were expected ... they never arrived.

20240626_152037.jpg

Cunderdin pub

20240630_174545.jpg

Westonia ... my furthest point east

20240626_070614 (1).jpg

Northam ... the official starting point

The Bosch Nyon and Komoot do not play well. If I went, off course, the Nyon would not pick up the route again and show the turn-by-turn directions or the other data related to ETA, etc.
Generally, I have found that importing "external" GPX files via Komoot to Nyon has been reliable and results in full and sensible routing with ETA etc. In fact it's the only reliable method I've found.

When I divert from the planned route, an arrow (on Nyon) indicates the direction of the nearest point of that planned route. When I rejoin the route further on, the routing with ETA data resumes correctly.

How far off course are you talking about? Maybe there's a threshold of diversion distance and beyond that things go haywire.

Another possibility: There were a couple of weeks, ending about 2 weeks ago, when new synced GPX files were not working properly in the Nyon. If there was routing, it was basically nonsense and more often there was no routing at all. That problem was resolved about two weeks ago, presumably by Komoot or Bosch.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
Generally, I have found that importing "external" GPX files via Komoot to Nyon has been reliable and results in full and sensible routing with ETA etc. In fact it's the only reliable method I've found.

When I divert from the planned route, an arrow (on Nyon) indicates the direction of the nearest point of that planned route. When I rejoin the route further on, the routing with ETA data resumes correctly.

How far off course are you talking about? Maybe there's a threshold of diversion distance and beyond that things go haywire.

Another possibility: There were a couple of weeks, ending about 2 weeks ago, when new synced GPX files were not working properly in the Nyon. If there was routing, it was basically nonsense and more often there was no routing at all. That problem was resolved about two weeks ago, presumably by Komoot or Bosch.

Cheers

Peter
[1] No more than 50 metres is the case in some instances, sometimes further. Either way, it ended the navigation on the Nyon.

[2] When I divert from the planned route, an arrow (on Nyon) indicates the direction of the nearest point of that planned route. When I rejoin the route further on, the routing with ETA data resumes correctly.
I cannot recall seeing this.

I have checked that both the Nyon and Komoot are up-to-date. Interestingly, the first three or four days, the Nyon worked as expected, and then it didn't.

I do wonder if the routes that were created in Ride With GPS and then imported to Komoot are causing an issue. However, the early rides were done the same way.

I will test this further before raising it with Bosch and Riese and Muller.

It could be that your imported route included a section that the Nyon map did not recognize as bikeable. Happens fairly often to me - in this case the Nyon will show your route and your progress along the route but it doesn't give turn by turn directions and I don't think it can reroute.

It should have given you a warning when you first imported the route if this will be the case.

No more than 50 metres is the case in some instances, sometimes further. Either way, it ended the navigation on the Nyon.

That's well within the off course diversions I ride.

I cannot recall seeing this

Do you have rerouting turned on or off in the Nyon Map Settings? Mine is off.

I have checked that both the Nyon and Komoot are up-to-date.

As I understand it, the route planning within Komoot is carried out online. I import GPX files into Komoot via route planning, not completed route. Therefore any bug fix that I mentioned earlier was online and not the within the app.

Cheers

It could be that your imported route included a section that the Nyon map did not recognize as bikeable. Happens fairly often to me - in this case the Nyon will show your route and your progress along the route but it doesn't give turn by turn directions and I don't think it can reroute.
Good point, I occasionally ride short "non-bikeable" sectors (according to Nyon), but I don't remember noticing any consequences. I'd need to check.

Do you have rerouting turned on or off in the Nyon Map Settings? My bike is the HS 45km/hr version and the last thing I need is Bosch eBikeConnect/Nyon rerouting if cycle paths are involved.

I import GPX files into Komoot via route planning, not completed route.
I'm curious - if you're route planning outside of Komoot why do you still import through Komoot instead of directly into eBike Connect?

Good point, I occasionally ride short "non-bikeable" sectors (according to Nyon), but I don't remember noticing any consequences. I'd need to check.

Do you have rerouting turned on or off in the Nyon Map Settings? My bike is the HS 45km/hr version and the last thing I need is Bosch eBikeConnect/Nyon rerouting if cycle paths are involved.
It's been a while since I've seen this, so I could be wrong on the cause - but it definitely imports routes without the turn cues sometimes.

Looks like I have rerouting enabled currently and I have a class 3 bike as well.

@Aushiker The other thing to check is make sure you have the necessary maps downloaded in Nyon and eBike Connect for offline use. Also if you are importing through Komoot you probably need to have purchased all the regions you are travelling through. I live on the border of 3 counties and Komoot used to give me trouble if I tried to pass a route through it that included areas I hadn't unlocked from Komoot.

Now that I can import directly into the Bosch sw, routing has been much easier though I plan a rough route and then play it by ear more often than not lately.

It should have given you a warning when you first imported the route if this will be the case.
Ah yes good point. I did read that yesterday and suspect that is the problem because I did often route along a track beside the railway line or Mundering-Kalgoorlie powerline to avoid riding on the highway.

No, but will now :)

I'm curious - if you're route planning outside of Komoot why do you still import through Komoot instead of directly into eBike Connect?

It's been a while since I've seen this, so I could be wrong on the cause - but it definitely imports routes without the turn cues sometimes.

Looks like I have rerouting enabled currently and I have a class 3 bike as well.

@Aushiker The other thing to check is make sure you have the necessary maps downloaded in Nyon and eBike Connect for offline use. Also if you are importing through Komoot you probably need to have purchased all the regions you are travelling through. I live on the border of 3 counties and Komoot used to give me trouble if I tried to pass a route through it that included areas I hadn't unlocked from Komoot.

Now that I can import directly into the Bosch sw, routing has been much easier though I plan a rough route and then play it by ear more often than not lately.
I think I will go the direct import route and see how that plays out. I do not think Komoot really offers much value to me.

Just back from a 62km ride which became a test of the issues being experienced.

Diverting, significantly from the route and then returning at a point further along, worked fine, and the routing recommenced (with distance to go and ETA) once back on the route. No problem.

Next was a test of a "non rideable" section of track a few hundred metres long. For some reason within 1 km before that section of the track started, the routing arrow insisted that I had diverted from the path even though the route that I was following and my position were displayed correctly on the map.

This problem forced me to stop at the beginning of the "non rideable" section and reset the routing to start at the next point along the route, which, of course, was well within the "non rideable" section. Routing, with all the display data, worked correctly along the "non rideable" section, and so on to the final destination.

The error was a new one to me. I will try and investigate it by looking at the actual gpx file data. I wonder if there's a stray waypoint in it, arising from my editing of the original route.

Cheers.

That's because, with my usage, importing a GPX file directly into ebike-connect didn't result in functional routing and ETA/Distance remaining display, if cycle paths were involved. That was almost always the case.

I think that was because HS ebikes are not permitted on cycle paths in the EU and that restriction was not turned off for countries, such as NZ, where it is permited.

I found the only way to get functional routing etc on cycle paths was to import GPX files into Komoot and then sync to ebike-connect. Seems Komoot restored a bit of sanity.

Last edited:
Back