MY23 Riese and Muller Supercharger 2 GT Rohloff - 53cm - Warm Silver Matt

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
20240517_115836 (2).jpg

After waiting over three months, my Reise and Muller Supercharger 2 GT Rohloff (MY23) in Warm Silver Matt has arrived and is now at home. My initial ride on it this morning from the LBS (Sparque in West Perth) to home was 20.22 km.

A few early observations:

[1] The Fabric water bottles were a surprise. I was not expecting those. I am still thinking about whether I will keep them or not.
[2] The saddle bag, which is the bag fitted for carrying a lock, was also a surprise. I did not order a lock but have kept the bag. It may work as a tool bag.
[3] The front fork was specified as an SR Suntour Mobie 34, Air Tapered, 100mm, but it is a Marzocchi Bomber Z2.
[4] The saddle is a Selle Royal New Lookin 3D Skingel (possible variation from the published specification). I will be swapping this out for a Selle Anatomica, which hopefully has a bit more range in the horizontal.
[5] For information purposes, the handlebar is a 25.4 mm bar.

I found it easy to ride, but some fine-tuning is needed with the handlebar position (rotate it so the Nyon is in a better viewing position plus improve my reach), grips need rotating and the saddle position needs fine tuning. Also, I need to add a few bits and pieces.

I will update this thread as I turn the bike into one that works for me.

Last edited:
Great looking bike - enjoy! I’ve got the Matte Curry version and love it so much.
Sadly, I’ve not been able to ride it for seven weeks after falling off my eMTB and rupturing my quadriceps tendon. I needed a surgical knee reconstruction and looking at 9-12months for full recovery.

😔

This is the knee two weeks post surgery:
IMG_7875.jpeg

Great looking bike - enjoy! I’ve got the Matte Curry version and love it so much.
Sadly, I’ve not been able to ride it for seven weeks after falling off my eMTB and rupturing my quadriceps tendon. I needed a surgical knee reconstruction and looking at 9-12months for full recovery.

😔

View attachment 176029
How frustrating, Sam. Wishing you a speedier recovery.

After waiting over three months, my Reise and Muller Supercharger 2 GT Rohloff (MY23) in Warm Silver Matt has arrived and is now at home.
Congratulations Andrew! I missed your thread as I was on my way to a e-gravel race on Friday :)
A lovely e-bike! Are you positive the bars are 25.4 mm? It is hardly believable! Did you measure the diameter at the stem or in the grip area?

I can see there are many upgrades to this excellent e-bike done by RIESE & Muller! ("Riese" -- not Reise -- is "Giant" in German; so it's Giant & Miller) :) Why would you get rid of some of those expensive and high quality items?

Sam, I missed your post, too. My deepest sympathy to you!

Congratulations Andrew! I missed your thread as I was on my way to a e-gravel race on Friday :)
A lovely e-bike! Are you positive the bars are 25.4 mm? It is hardly believable! Did you measure the diameter at the stem or in the grip area?

I can see there are many upgrades to this excellent e-bike done by RIESE & Muller! ("Riese" -- not Reise -- is "Giant" in German; so it's Giant & Miller) :) Why would you get rid of some of those expensive and high quality items?

Sam, I missed your post, too. My deepest sympathy to you!
thank you my friend - I'll be back on the bike in a few months!

It is 25.4 mm at the stem. Having done a few kilometres on it, I might leave the bars only for now; I suspect I might upset the reach if I change the bars, and my reach is at the limit of the settings now.

I might add tri-bars for doing intervals :) Is it sacrilege on an ebike? :D

I did intervals last night ... 22% engine, 78% me, with a top speed of ~ 40 km/h.

I might add tri-bars for doing intervals :) Is it sacrilege on an ebike? :D
Don't limit yourself: put drop bars on your Supercharger :D

It seems to me that I can't convince you not to make any modifications to your perfect e-bike and just ride it "as is" for at least a thousand kilometres... But it was me four years ago suffering from the same syndrome! :D

It is 25.4 mm at the stem.
This information is shocking to me. Most of the modern handlebars (drop bar or flat) have the 31.8 mm bulge at the stem; oversized MTB bars have the bulge at 35 mm. If R &M put the bars of the stem clamp diameter of 1" there, it makes everything around the stem non-standard. I can only hope the handlebar grip area is still 22.2 mm?

This information is shocking to me. Most of the modern handlebars (drop bar or flat) have the 31.8 mm bulge at the stem; oversized MTB bars have the bulge at 35 mm. If R &M put the bars of the stem clamp diameter of 1" there, it makes everything around the stem non-standard. I can only hope the handlebar grip area is still 22.2 mm?
I haven't checked it, but given they have Ergon Grips, I suspect so.

😔

View attachment 176029
Sorry to hear about your knee. I wear hefty knee pads when I ride my eMTB. Were you wearing knee pads? If not, do you think it would have helped.
That looks looks and sounds like a nasty injury. ~Tom

Sorry to hear about your knee. I wear hefty knee pads when I ride my eMTB. Were you wearing knee pads? If not, do you think it would have helped.
That looks looks and sounds like a nasty injury. ~Tom
The irony was I riding a very, very safe trail at slow/moderate speeds so it’s inexplicable how it happened and the injury is completely disproportionate to the risk unfortunately.

Knee pads would likely be great protection against abrasions and impact injuries. I suspect I must have applied and massive / sustained force in an unusual way through my knee. I can only guess my knee got caught under my bike or body as my momentum went forward and with my knee overextended the tendon ruptured off the patella.

Knee pads would not have helped in that situation 😔

A few modifications over the weekend:

Seatpost

Cane Creek Thudbuster with

The previous weekend, I swapped out the Cane Creek New Thudbuster ST Evo (Gen 4) for a Thompson Masterpiece 16mm setback seatpost that I had, as I was not convinced that the Thudbuster really made a difference. The Thompson lasted a week, and the Thudbuster is back on the bike. It is married to the Selle Anatomica H-Series saddle that I had on hand.

EBB Rohloff eShift Under-Bar Mount

EBB Rohloff eShift Under-Bar Mount and Mirracycle mirror

I have now fitted the EBB Rohloff eShift Under-Bar Mount. It mounts to the Magura brake lever and drops the eShift control underneath the handlebar. Initially, I thought this was not a great modification, but after two hours of riding, it felt natural. I am glad I made the change.

Mirrcycle Bicycle Mirror

I fitted a Mirrcycle Bicycle Mirror on the right-hand side. It sits below the handlebars inbound from the end of the bars. It works well in this position for me, and I am actually quite impressed with Mirrcycle. Much better than the Busch and Muller mirrors I have used in the past.

Water Bottle Cage and Pump Mount

PRO Right Side Alloy Bottle Cage Black and Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG pump

As a temporary install, I have fitted a PRO Right Side Alloy Bottle Cage Black within the triangle and a Lezyne Micro Drive HVG pump I had on hand. The cage and pump will be removed once I receive my frame bag from Bike Bag Dude. I will then mount a water bottle at the rear of the top tube, and the pump will likely go into the frame bag.

Last edited:
I like your mods! Approved! :) I especially appreciate your Camelbak Podium water-bottle!

the Selle Anatomica H-Series saddle
That's where I see something strange. I can see your saddle is terribly tilted backwards. Is it really the correct position? If it is really as I can see it, the saddle would exert terrible stress on your perineal area. If you tilt the saddle the way the nose is on the perfect horizontal, the raised saddle rear would comfortably support your butt. Opinion?

I like your mods! Approved! :) I especially appreciate your Camelbak Podium water-bottle!

That's where I see something strange. I can see your saddle is terribly tilted backwards. Is it really the correct position? If it is really as I can see it, the saddle would exert terrible stress on your perineal area. If you tilt the saddle the way the nose is on the perfect horizontal, the raised saddle rear would comfortably support your butt. Opinion?
It is fairly level, but there is a slight upward tilt. All my saddles are like that. It is what works for me. It is not as dramatic as it appears in the photo but ... I did check it with a level as well.

Last edited:
FWIW, I use a 710 ml Camelbak Podium as it fits the contents of the standard bottle of our domestic OSHEE sports drink. Camelbak bottles are bigger than their contents are because of the thermal insulation...

Back