My 2015 EVO Street Has Arrived!

Thanks everyone!

Yes I'm aware of the impact of temperature. As detailed above in my ride descriptions, each ride was taken in approximately 65 degree weather. I store the battery inside my house, where I keep the charger, so the battery itself will not be subject to the elements other than when actually being used on the bike. The weather will be getting warmer as we head further into spring and then summer.

I'll never ride the ebike when it's less than 45 degrees out as I'm a "fair weather" recreational rider, not a serious cyclist or commuter who uses their bike to get to work.

It's been raining here again and will be off and on for the next 2 days.

I promised some pictures of my new EVO Street, so here they are. Click on each thumbnail to see full size.

My Evo is tucked away into my garden shed.

{NOTE: Yes I know my battery is not installed on the bike correctly. I forgot to bring out my key and without the key the lock cannot be put into it's holder, so I just placed it in it's spot for the pictures. The battery is otherwise kept inside my house.}

It's sunny but 40 degrees & windy here today. Brrrrrrrr.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Right now I have both a trunk rack and a shopping bag/pannier mounted on the bike. Haven't decided if I'm keeping the shopping bag/pannier or not. The red circles in picture #3 show the clips on the shopping bag and the rack bars are so thick that the clips can't close & lock onto the rack (so I'm thinking no, I won't keep this).

The last picture is showing my clamp and water bottle cage on the handlebars ( :D ). This will hold a 22 oz bottle.

Last edited:
Like the bags! The bike's ok too, I guess;)

All very nice! You couldn't have timed it any better, weather+new bike=:D Where did you get the bags?

Powerme,

2) My experience on batteries was there seemed to be a slight gain in range after the first 5 to 10 rides. Similar results were reported on the Australian Whirlpool Forum.

That's true of most rechargeable battery chemistries. You will find the same thing happens with cells phones and laptops. The trick is deplete your new battery most of the way and do full deep charges. It's a kind of "conditioning" for the new battery.

I'm seeing it happen now with my new bike.

Got the Tri-flow lube and have been busy lubing up all kinds of things in addition to the chain. Works a treat on the Kryptonite 2 lock mechanism, a source of negative reviews. Also used it on the extremely tight nuts/bolts on my 1up rack to make that smoother.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Wellgo MG-1 pedals in white. The stock Easy Motion pedals leave something to be desired.

I've decided to do the 3 deep depletes down to 20% and then full charge back. I'm still on 1 of 3 since today's my first day back on the bike in earnest. Rains + cold temps kept the bike (and me) in storage. I'm going to carry the battery charger with me for peace of mind since I really don't know the range I'll get and I've already ridden 15 miles on this charge cycle.

Rode my ebike to REI (about 5 mi away) to return the grocery pannier since it doesn't fit on my rack that well. That way lies pain in terms of so much traffic and congestion.

I was going slow (9 to 11 mph) and staying mostly in Eco with maybe 15% time in Standard. 1 bar drop going there and 1 bar drop back and that brought me down to 1 bar and time to charge it up, which I'm doing now. I spent almost an hour in REI looking around, as recorded by my "stopped time." :)

The range I can expect on my Street at this early juncture is 25 to 30 miles (12ah battery). 30 miles is the minimum range Easy Motion reports for this eBike. Average grade % was 1- 2% on today's ride, with the highest at 3.6%

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Elevation profile:

elevation_profile

chart

Last edited:
While at REI, I picked up this handlebar smartphone holder & it's perfect for my Samsung Note 3, which I can fit in even with its case. It also comes with a mount for the stem, if one prefers that. Also includes a waterproof bag for the phone, which can then be used inside the holder. $25 with $5 off coupon. $20 net price.

Delta Cycle X-Large Smartphone Bike Mount
https://www.rei.com/product/884871/delta-cycle-x-large-smartphone-bike-mount

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Got the Tri-flow lube and have been busy lubing up all kinds of things in addition to the chain. Works a treat on the Kryptonite 2 lock mechanism, a source of negative reviews. Also used it on the extremely tight nuts/bolts on my 1up rack to make that smoother.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Wellgo MG-1 pedals in white. The stock Easy Motion pedals leave something to be desired.

I've decided to do the 3 deep depletes down to 20% and then full charge back. I'm still on 1 of 3 since today's my first day back on the bike in earnest. Rains + cold temps kept the bike (and me) in storage. I'm going to carry the battery charger with me for peace of mind since I really don't know the range I'll get and I've already ridden 15 miles on this charge cycle.
I have the 1up rack coming in on Friday. It was between it and a Thule, but the Thule was 60 lbs. I'll let you know if there is anything to say about the stiffness. I think they would have to loosen up, but as long as it is useable. Yeah, cheap pedals. They do last a while...

E
Average grade % was 1- 2% on today's ride, with the highest at 3.6%

Hey, do you use a phone app for this elevation data? I showed the graph to my wife and she said she's interested in getting this information for her bike rides.

I use a couple apps as I'm still trying to decide what I like best.

The one above is www.ridewithgps.com

The other one I am trying out is www.mapmyride.com

I use an Android phone, but those apps are compatible with iPhone as well, I think. Both have web sites which are convenient and integrate seamlessly with the mobile app.

If your wife has an iPhone there is an amazing app that I wish was available on the Android platform: Cyclemeter GPS

Which app is this? I like the Max Grade.

That average watts could be useful. It cross checks quite well with this online calculator:

http://bikecalculator.com/how.html

If you were using 120 watts and the bike was doing half the work, you each averaged 60 watts. That's less than 2 amps, or 60w/36v=1.7A. So if you do it for 1.5 hours, it is only 2.5 amp hour.

Watts used = 60.

At 36v, 1.66 amps = 60 watts.

1.66 amps for 1 hour = 1.66 amp hours

1.66 amps for 1.5 hour = 2.49 amp hour

Motors are not 100% efficient, so if you adjust it up a bit, it might be 3 amp hours. But you should only be down about 1/4 on your battery.

You should be able to go close to 60 miles at this rate, with a 12 AH battery.

With my system, the battery would take about 90 minutes to recharge.

I'm down 2 bars out of 5. No idea if their watts estimator is anywhere close to reality.

The app used above is www.ridewithgps.com

Comes in iPhone & Android versions, as well as web site.

Last edited:
Actually, the bike was using more watts than I was contributing.

Easy motion is 70% in Eco mode, 140% in Standard, 200% in Sport, and 300% in Boost.

I'm down 2 bars out of 5. No idea if their watts estimator is anywhere close to reality.

The app used above is www.ridewithgps.com

Comes in iPhone & Android versions, as well as web site.
Looks OK on my Android. I'll see if it seems close on the major grades. I've been using My Tracks, the Google app. Very basic. Thanks.

Back