My 2015 EVO Street Has Arrived!

I found the Street to be extremely easy to pedal even with zero assist. It feels light and agile and very comfortable. It has good power with the twist throttle and of course even better with the "boost" pedal assist. Strong brakes, nice suspension, comfortable seat, comfortable handlebars, easy operating hydraulic brake levers and a beautiful design.

My only complaint is the unevenness of the torque sensing pedal assist. I am quickly becoming a fan of the advanced pedal assist measurement systems.

PowerMe - depending on you for the "long-term road test" lol. Congratulations!
BH bikes have this issue. If you want to hold a particular speed under full speed, especially on gentle inclines, the first two settings will pulse and over push followed by a retraction in power. I find the sensation to be having to work harder than expected to hold the target speed and difficulty in maintaining a consistent cadence. This seems a common issue on many torque sensing bikes, comfortably maintain speed below full, such as 15 mph just using pedals. If you are ok going full speed this is not much of an issue. Bosch systems do not exhibit this characteristic and the drive unit alone cost more than your bike with shipping probably.

Bosch systems don't exhibit this characteristic. It becomes is price point decision. But Bosch does not have a throttle, so even the higher end comes with significant compromise over the mid.

Just throw your water bottles in your panniers. There are panniers that have a water bottle holder.

Thanks for the great posts and congrats on your new bike. Sounds like you are having fun customizing it. Not many people under 50 realize how hard 10 miles is especially with hills. That's why my wife and I are looking for the best ebikes forus, get more exercise, ride a little longer and flatten out hills. I excited about testing the Evo 27.5 and if it feels good I'm taking it home that day. Keep us up to date on your dventures

I went back to cycling about 18 months ago with a hybrid bike, no motor. I was lucky to go 5 miles at first. You use different muscles from, say, hiking. When I got the ebike (six months later), I was a lot more motivated to get out there. Then I ran into some major health problems and the ebike was all I could ride for a while. I saw a lot of people with zero mobility in rehab. It gave me a perspective.

I like throttles, but I use a heart rate monitor every now and then to make sure I'm getting some kind of workout. It's tougher, as you get older. There are little things that can limit how far you can go. Some people go 60 miles, but I'd never get there. Ebikes are really a motivational thing for me. It's OK in the wind, and it's OK with long hills.

People seem to have good luck with the Tuffy liners, maybe with the thick tubes. There are some tires to consider for avoiding punctures, but the liners do the same thing for less $$$.

Hope the bike rack is working out. Too bad it was not moving very freely. They might break in, over time. It seems like a rack that would be very handy, and it's on my list.

Have fun with it. I do.

Yes being over 50 is quite the comeuppance. Not that I was in great shape before 50. That avatar picture is me in 1982, my senior year in college, riding my 50cc Yammahopper. The years went by so damn fast.

I haven't used the bike rack since bringing my bike home. I may add some light lubrication to the crank arms.

Last edited:
RIDE #2 - SUNDAY MARCH 22 2015

Inflated tires as they were too low and fully charged battery.

Stats from Ride With GPS:
  • Total Distance: 13.2 mi (my legs are feeling it for sure)
  • Moving Time Duration: 54min
  • Elevation gain: 630 ft.
  • Max grade: 4%
  • Avg Speed: 14.6 mph
  • Max Speed: 27.7 mph (coasting, not pedaling, going downhill)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

No throttle used, only PAS

PAS: mixture of Eco 25%, Standard 50%, Sport 25% (Boost: less than 1%, just to see how it felt)

1st bar dropped at: 5.6 mi :(

2nd bar dropped at: 12.1 mi :(

I don't know how Peter in Europe (the guy who posts the awesome videos on the forum) is getting 15+ miles per bar? Well he's thinner than me, so there's that. And he's fitter than me too. And his bike weighs less. The Street is 57 lbs without anything else added.

Based on the mileage of the 2 bars dropping, it looks like my realistic safe range on this bike at my current weight, with the 12ah battery fully charged indoors, riding in moderate 65 degree weather, would be 25 - 30 miles. The range supposedly can go up to 55 or 60 mi on one charge, depending on which sales material one reads. Yes I know that's with a 90lb youngster pedaling only in Eco mode on perfectly flat paved paths, with a tailwind pushing them (or Peter in Europe with his magical incredible range, even on a 9ah battery, in Sport and Boost modes).

Aside from losing weight (which I greatly need to do), and only riding in Eco mode, and keeping tires near max pressure (these Kenda 26" tires are rated for up to 100psi) anything else I can do to increase my range per battery bar right now?

Last edited:
Oh, one good thing. I was able to get the handlebar clamp on and properly tightened. I had a full 20 oz bottle of ice water with me. Ahhhh.

Last edited:
Going slower usually gives better range than going faster.

Stats from Ride With GPS:
  • Total Distance: 13.2 mi (my legs are feeling it for sure)
  • Moving Time Duration: 54min
  • Elevation gain: 630 ft.
  • Max grade: 4%
  • Avg Speed: 15.6 mph
  • Max Speed: 27.7 mph (obviously going downhill)

No throttle used, only PAS

PAS: mixture of Eco 25%, Standard 50%, Sport 25% (Boost: less than 1%, just to see how it felt)

1st bar dropped at: 5.6 mi :(

2nd bar dropped at: 12.1 mi :(

I don't know how Peter in Europe (the guy who posts the awesome videos on the forum) is getting 15+ miles per bar? Well he's thinner than me, so there's that. And he's fitter than me too. And his bike weighs less. The Street is 57 lbs without anything else added.

Based on the mileage of the 2 bars dropping, it looks like my realistic safe range on this bike at my current weight, with the 12ah battery fully charged indoors, riding in moderate 65 degree weather, would be 25 - 30 miles. The range supposedly can go up to 55 or 60 mi on one charge, depending on which sales material one reads. Yes I know that's with a 90lb youngster pedaling only in Eco mode on perfectly flat paved paths, with a tailwind pushing them (or Peter in Europe with his magical incredible range, even on a 9ah battery, in Sport and Boost modes).

Aside from losing weight (which I greatly need to do), and only riding in Eco mode, and keeping tires near max pressure (these Kenda 26" tires are rated for up to 100psi) anything else I can do to increase my range per battery bar right now?

Thanks Brambor.

FYI, the times I was going faster, over 18mph, were on downhills, not pedaling at all, not engaging the motor at all, coasting the whole way. When I was pedaling I was around 13mph to 16mph, which I don't think is considered especially "fast" on an ebike.

I don't think you mentioned riding downhill, that will probably help, if you ride downhill all the way...

Seriously, your reports are very valuable. The sales information is the maximum obtainable, going to all the extremes that you mention (how's this scenario: turn the assist off and just use leg power to pedal the first 30 miles!)

You're giving us real-life reports and its really nice, thank you!

Does Europe have lower boost levels than the USA?
That is about the only way to get more range I can imagine.

You will find reduced boost on the last bar as the voltage drops below 36 volts.
I try to avoid this much drain on the battery as the manual indicates it reduces the number of charge cycles (or battery life).

Mike
Jumper, 26" version

It takes 3-4 charge cycles before you start seeing appreciable range. The first 3 charges, drain it down to 20% and charge back up to 100%. (it's mentioned in the manual as well)
EU uses Km, not miles. So, 50Km is ~ 31 miles. As you become more fit, you might see some higher numbers.

Oh! I didn't know to drain it down to 20% on the first 3 charges. Well then... I need to do that! Thanks @Ravi!

The manual that came with the bike does not appear to be updated or if it is, not well written. The instructions they provide in the manual for the display unit are incorrect. For instance, they have you pressing the + key to turn on the lights (it's actually the - key on my bike). Someone new, who didn't see Court's tutorial on the display, would be seriously confused.

The USA site on Easy Motion lists the range in terms of miles. They claim up to 60 miles for this bike. I had hoped for 40 to 45.

Yes, I guess Peter in EU would be using a 250w limited engine. He's getting, according to him, as much as 120 miles (yes MILES, not kw, he clarified) on his Easy Motion bike keeping it in Eco mode and something like up to 80+ miles (yes miles, not km) using combo modes of Standard up to Boost modes.

It takes 3-4 charge cycles before you start seeing appreciable range. The first 3 charges, drain it down to 20% and charge back up to 100%. (it's mentioned in the manual as well)

Hey Ravi,

I read the manual line by line and there is no mention that the user should drain the battery down to 20% and back to 100% at all, let alone for the first 3 charges. Further, the manual doesn't say anything about it taking 3-4 charge cycles to see what the real range will be.

Can you please show me where and what manual this information is contained in? Because it's not in the one I received with my Evo Street, which btw, is an older manual. This is an important instruction and I'm concerned that it's not contained in the manual I received

So now I'm confused. Should I drain the battery down to 20% and then charge it back to 100% 3 times or not?

The manual I received is not up-to-date. I registered my bike online and included that in my comments. There's no excuse not to have an up-to-date manual for the cost of these eBikes. (Undercover/Nate, perhaps you can take that comment back to management?).

Last edited:
Hey Ravi,

I read the manual line by line and there is no mention that the user should drain the battery down to 20% and back to 100% at all, let alone for the first 3 charges. Further, the manual doesn't say anything about it taking 3-4 charge cycles to see what the real range will be.

Can you please show me where and what manual this information is contained in? Because it's not in the one I received with my Evo Street, which btw, is an older manual. This is an important instruction and I'm concerned that it's not contained in the manual I received

So now I'm confused. Should I drain the battery down to 20% and then charge it back to 100% 3 times or not?

The manual I received is not up-to-date. I registered my bike online and included that in my comments. There's no excuse not to have an up-to-date manual for the cost of these eBikes. (Undercover/Nate, perhaps you can take that comment back to management?).

No worries. I am certain it's there somewhere, I'll dig it out and share it here.
Please don't be paranoid over this matter. There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging each time you ride the bike.

Our bike's batteries are made up of 18650 cylindrical cells and they have a nominal voltage of 3.6V. You combine a bunch of these in series and parallel combination to get 36V or 48V (and whatever Ah you need). Now, when you charge them, the voltage can raise up to ~4.2V per cell and when you discharge them it can go upto ~3.0V or whatever the BMS cutoff limit is. The cell pack gives maximum output when all of them work in sync/harmony and to get there, balancing each cell is necessary. Thanks to the battery management system (BMS), we don't have to worry about balancing each cylindrical cell.

During those initial charge cycles, you're letting the battery pack to "set in" or BMS to set that balance right. For this purpose, we let it drain to 20% and then charge it back up just for the initial few times. these batteries spend few months (factory warehouse, sea shipping, container yard, manufacturer warehouse, dealer warehouse etc). So, it's preferred you do it that way but not mandatory.

I'm pretty sure @Undercover Brother knows all this and it is a good suggestion to incorporate it in our manuals. If you did not do this, it should not affect the battery in any significant way.

If I am missing something, please feel free to point it out. I would love to learn.
Hope you enjoy your bike for many more days to come.

PowerMe, you'd be best served by following the manufacturer's instructions I think!

Actually, Ravi, if you want to get all technical, li-ion batteries should never be charged all the way for best life. See below:

http://batteryuniversity.com

PowerMe, you'd be best served by following the manufacturer's instructions I think!

Actually, Ravi, if you want to get all technical, li-ion batteries should never be charged all the way for best life. See below:

http://batteryuniversity.com

Yes, sir. I spend all my time surrounded by battery makers at the University and I get to see things real close. I wanted to keep the subject fairly generic but anyway, the BMS in our bikes will do all the work (LVC, High voltage cutoff etc)
So, you're not draining it fully or charging it fully either. If you drain the battery fully, you're inducing some permanent damage. Each manufacturer has their own protocol and design BMS accordingly.

The batteries in Easy Motion bikes are manufactured by a company in Taiwan called TD Hi-tech (http://www.htenergy.com.tw/)
Look into their specs and you will find out.

Ok, so basically it's a balance between the consumer's desire for maximum distance on the street vs getting longest possible cell life. But, in a way, if you never charge your battery all the way up, you are accepting the capacity of an older battery from the start! Might as well just use what you've got.

I say just don't run your battery all the way down, charge it up, go out and have fun!

Ravi, Agreed? :)

Edit: and if you do very short rides, and you do want longer battery life, don't top up every time.

Back