Just found a cracked rim on my allant 8

fooferdoggie

after about 5200 miles a little over a year the back rim is pretty cracked. I noticed the rim needed a little truing a month or so ago but had not had the chance to bring it into the shop. I had just put new tubeless rim tape on with a new tubeless tire and new sealant. I was cleaning the rim up only to find the cracks. I think it's only on the drive side but there is a fair amount of them. of course the mechanic that deals with warranties is off till Tuesday. he used to work Sundays but he switched. so back to the bulls.
IMG_1686.jpeg

after about 5200 miles a little over a year the back rim is pretty cracked. I noticed the rim needed a little truing a month or so ago but had not had the chance to bring it into the shop. I had just put new tubeless rim tape on with a new tubeless tire and new sealant. I was cleaning the rim up only to find the cracks. I think it's only on the drive side but there is a fair amount of them. of course the mechanic that deals with warranties is off till Tuesday. he used to work Sundays but he switched. so back to the bulls.
Buggars! Your post prompted me to check my Allant rims. Lucky me, I found no blemishes. I assume we have the same Alex MD35 rim. Mine has 6,890 miles. Tubless (on 2nd set) since 3,300 miles. Hope for warranty and it comes with spokes, hub, etc. Hassle enough just to replace the tires.

Buggars! Your post prompted me to check my Allant rims. Lucky me, I found no blemishes. I assume we have the same Alex MD35 rim. Mine has 6,890 miles. Tubless (on 2nd set) since 3,300 miles. Hope for warranty and it comes with spokes, hub, etc. Hassle enough just to replace the tires.
that the wheel was a bit out of true I noticed it a month or two ago I bet thats when it started cracking. but it had so much road dirt on it I would not have noticed a crack. so I just put new tape and sealer in there so thats wasted. didn't to even get to test out the new tire really.

I would not ride on that wheel if I knew it is Cracked. Or choose to ignore it until complete failure and have backup wheelset.
Ya but bet it’s been that way for a month or more. Got the bulls to ride that’s been collecting dust.

My dt-Swiss hubs can be changed over but the trek has 650 wheels but with smaller tires the 700 may work. Also need 6 bolt rotor as the magnet mounts on a rotor bolt.

My dt-Swiss hubs can be changed over but the trek has 650 wheels but with smaller tires the 700 may work. Also need 6 bolt rotor as the magnet mounts on a rotor bolt.
Is your Allant+ still on the warranty?
Have you considered a total wheel rebuild with a DT Swiss rim and spokes around the existing hub?

Is your Allant+ still on the warranty?
Have you considered a total wheel rebuild with a DT Swiss rim and spokes around the existing hub?
yes on warranty. I would like too but I can't really justify it. we. did the tandem and my bulls but the bulls just sits there till now. I would like to ge smaller rims and maybe change to 700 if it would fit. but it's about 650.00 for a set of wheels. I just spent 1700 on a new spindle for my cnc router.

You can definitely just have the wheel rebuilt with a new rim instead of buying a whole new wheel. If you get a rim with a similar ERD and the same spoke count you can probably reuse the spokes and nips if you wanted, though its generally recommended to replace them.

Rims do wear out; that sort of cracking is less common on rims with eyelets to distribute the spoke load, but all rims eventually reach their fatigue lifecycle end and need to be replaced. IME thats more common on wheels with heavy, non butted spokes since the spokes have less flexibility and transfer more load to the rim.

You can definitely just have the wheel rebuilt with a new rim instead of buying a whole new wheel. If you get a rim with a similar ERD and the same spoke count you can probably reuse the spokes and nips if you wanted, though its generally recommended to replace them.

Rims do wear out; that sort of cracking is less common on rims with eyelets to distribute the spoke load, but all rims eventually reach their fatigue lifecycle end and need to be replaced. IME thats more common on wheels with heavy, non butted spokes since the spokes have less flexibility and transfer more load to the rim.
well yes you can but then you still only have those wheels. so if your going to spend the money might as well get a spare set of wheels. plus hubs are just deore hubs I want sealed cartridge bearing hubs its worth the extra expense.

well yes you can but then you still only have those wheels. so if your going to spend the money might as well get a spare set of wheels. plus hubs are just deore hubs I want sealed cartridge bearing hubs its worth the extra expense.

I would never try to talk someone out of an upgrade. :p Carry on!

my bulls cracked at 8000 miles. when you use low end rims it can happen. plus weight of rider and load makes a difference.
I understand all that...and that's kinda my point.
Buying a name brand and/or high end at the LBS is no guarantee of anything.
I'm not suggesting that you buy the cheapest everything... but your montra against everything that may cost less seems to return often to bite you

Back